HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:53 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmic View Post
Thanks I will try these...
Actually today I went to test again and I even attempted the first FPV flight.
The range test was extremely good with NO video tx, and about 80 meters with video tx on, and of course collapsed rc antenna.
Problems started in the air, I climbed with no googles to some safe altitude and then I put the goggles on... and ok there was some signal but it was getting so much interference, video feed was even lost at times, it didnt really feel safe and had to take goggle off, spot the plane myself and bring it back.
A second attempt was a bit better, but still losing video feed, I found myself miracolously passing THRU high-voltage lines (4 wires, plane went between them...) that I hadn't seen until the very last moment, and somehow landed it about 150 meters away, thinking I was a lot closer...
I was too ptimisitic I guess, this field is surrounded by 3 lattice towers carrying TV repeaters, mobile phone transmitters etc...
I knew there was going to be interference but this was really a lot more than interference.
Maybe I could try a different channel, but I doubt will be any better.
I was thinking about getting an antenna tracker with a high gain patch antenna...
Antennas work best when they are "side by side" like this:
l l

Antennas work worst when they are lined up together like this:
- -

With stock antennas and when flying overhead you will get some video drop outs because the antennas are lined up. Straight overhead is not the best place to fly for FPV.

For RC range test and since you are not flying RC on 2.4g you should just do a ground range test. Turn on the RC airplane and FPV transmitter and take the RC transmitter and drive away 1km and call your buddy on the cell phone and wiggle the sticks and ask him what the control surfaces are doing. All RC radios (not "park flyers" or on 2.4g here) should ground test to 1km. Try again at 2km. Half of RC radios should ground test to 2km. My mid line Futabas do 3km easily. This will give you confidence to fly up to the range you tested. If you get significantly less range with the FPV turned on, you need to move the FPV equipment around in the plane until you get better range. This may mean using a separate battery for FPV so that no wires (like the ground wire) connect the FPV with the RC. I would start by putting the FPV stuff in a small box so you can easily try range tests with the FPV stuff rubber banded here or there to the airplane. You get the idea.

Your first few flights will be a bit confusing and scary, but it gets easier. It is good to record your flights. Maybe make a few flights while watching the plane and not the goggles (I prefer a monitor to goggles) and recording the flight. Watch the recordings later and see if the video signal is adequate and to get yourself oriented to flying from the airplane's viewpoint. I think a monitor is easier for beginners as they can fly normally and glance down at the monitor once in a while (more and more) to make the first 10 flights easier.

It helps a lot to have a flying buddy help you. You will feel lost and it really helps to have your buddy tell you where you are and how you should turn to get back about every 15 seconds. He is also there to watch the plane and take the transmitter and fly back if you push the transmitter at him.

For RC range test and since you are not flying RC on 2.4g you should just do a ground range test. Turn on the RC airplane and FPV transmitter and take the RC transmitter and drive away 1km and call your buddy on the cell phone and wiggle the sticks and ask him what the control surfaces are doing. All RC radios (not "park flyers" or on 2.4g here) should ground test to 1km. Try again at 2km. Half of RC radios should ground test to 2km. My mid line Futabas do 3km easily. This will give you confidence to fly up to the range you tested. If you get significantly less range with the FPV turned on, you need to move the FPV equipment around in the plane until you get better range. This may mean using a separate battery for FPV so that no wires (like the ground wire) connect the FPV with the RC. I would start by putting the FPV stuff in a small box so you can easily try range tests with the FPV stuff rubber banded here or there to the airplane. You get the idea.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:27 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
I've bought one, but won't be here for a month. I'll be gone anyhow and won't be able to test it, regardless.

I will be performing full reviews when it arrives.

The landing does look rough, but in an emergency could work.

Currently, he has only barometric pressure, I think, to gauge where the ground is, which isn't good enough.

He's looking into ultrasound, I think, for a more accurate low altitude reading. I bet when that happens, landings will be nice and smooth.
You've ordered one already? I'm getting so very tempted

Can you order direct from uThere or from retail outlets?

IMHO landing to perfection doesn't concern me in the least- to have my plane land at my feet even if broken from a rough autonomous landing seems incredible to me- and very affordable fpv insurance, so for me personally, further landing perfection by ultrasound or otherwise is an extravagance I don't require, but no doubt would be embraced by others.

So, would future features like ultrasound be an add-on board like eg OSD?

And looking at their website of supported planes, is this purely for configuring autonomous landings?

And does anyone know if the Ruby will be suceptable to gas engine vibrations?

Questions for the Ruby I don't know if anyone has answers to as yet...

I'm still open to suggestions for RTH/AP... is the FY unit reliable these days, or is the Ruby the one to wait for....
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
I am up for Ruby, but will wait till the bugs are out :-)
This one seams to get FY out of the picture pretty quick.
We need a NEW THREAD for this
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Mar 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
pass through
jiezhizhao is offline Find More Posts by jiezhizhao
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
NORWAY
Joined Jan 2011
162 Posts
hello i have a octokopter and i have this fpv in it:http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...bc3bc05804e798

and i get some noise on the camera,

i have the tx ca 30 cm out on one of the oktos arm and have ferit on all off my 8 esc,but stil i get some noise

what can i do too get the noise away??
kjella is offline Find More Posts by kjella
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined May 2010
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
I am up for Ruby, but will wait till the bugs are out :-)
This one seams to get FY out of the picture pretty quick.
We need a NEW THREAD for this
Martin Y enlightened me on this, a quote from their website...

"Limitations
Range
Ruby does not limit flight range when flying under aided or manual control.

In event of control signal loss or panic switch activation, Ruby will return the aircraft to home location from several miles range.

Under automous modes, Ruby has a factory programmed 3000 foot range, beyond which it will attempt to return home. Please contact support@uthere.com if you need longer range and have a suitable remote location.

Use outside of the United States
Ruby's guidance system is not particularly well suited for military uses, until export regulations are clarified, Ruby will only be shipped to USA addresses, and Ruby's IMU and navigation systems will be configured to only function inside the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Please contact sales@uthere.com to be notified when we are able to ship outside the USA"

Soooo.... living in Australia means I can't make a legitimate purchase, and being restricted to 3000'/ 1km, seems for me the FY is looking like a more viable option...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:44 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Sorry mate :-(
Think of it as this is the only bad thing living in Australia.
I wanted to move there sooooo bad.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined May 2010
2,821 Posts
buy the Ruby before you relocate heh heh
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:47 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjella View Post
hello i have a octokopter and i have this fpv in it:http://www.electronicarc.com/catalog...bc3bc05804e798

and i get some noise on the camera,

i have the tx ca 30 cm out on one of the oktos arm and have ferit on all off my 8 esc,but stil i get some noise

what can i do too get the noise away??
Are you using one battery to power everything. If so you most likely will need and LC filter. DO a search here how to make them. They are very easy.

If it isn't that it could be how you are grounding everything. If there isn't a common place from where everything is grounding that too can create noise.

lastly you have to make sure that no power cables go near your video feed cables. Even if you have a filter, making sure that all the cables are away from each other can clean it up quickly.

hope that helps.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Antennas work best when they are "side by side" like this:
l l

Antennas work worst when they are lined up together like this:
- -

With stock antennas and when flying overhead you will get some video drop outs because the antennas are lined up. Straight overhead is not the best place to fly for FPV.

Your first few flights will be a bit confusing and scary, but it gets easier. It is good to record your flights. Maybe make a few flights while watching the plane and not the goggles (I prefer a monitor to goggles) and recording the flight. Watch the recordings later and see if the video signal is adequate and to get yourself oriented to flying from the airplane's viewpoint. I think a monitor is easier for beginners as they can fly normally and glance down at the monitor once in a while (more and more) to make the first 10 flights easier.

It helps a lot to have a flying buddy help you. You will feel lost and it really helps to have your buddy tell you where you are and how you should turn to get back about every 15 seconds. He is also there to watch the plane and take the transmitter and fly back if you push the transmitter at him.

Cliff
Thank very much.
I actually moved far away from any possible antenna, and the video feed was much better, even if I didnt feel confident enough to bring the plane higher than 200 meters...
I had some visual reference with the ground and the osd helped get the plane heading towards me as I wanted to land, but missed the landing direction and ended up landing with a lot of tail wind, which made the plane overshhot by 200 meters, so I managed to find the plane watching the video feed get better or worse as I walked around this huge field...
About the range test you suggested, I'm sure you are talking about a fully extended antenna to be used in such case... With the antenna collapsed and video TX on, I get maybe 60 meters... which I feel is quite poor.
I got a different RC radio (a Multiplex) which I heard performs much better, but so far got no time to program it, maybe using it + its rx will get better range...
Anyway, the feeling of losing the video feed, even if for just a fraction of a second, is total fear... and I'm thinking of getting an antenna tracker with a high gain patch antenna...
fabmic is offline Find More Posts by fabmic
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:18 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Quick question:
do I still need LC filter if I power RC and Video from two separate batteries?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:01 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Quick question:
do I still need LC filter if I power RC and Video from two separate batteries?
You shouldn't need to but I have never used a two battery setup.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:05 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Martin Y enlightened me on this, a quote from their website...

"Limitations
Range
Ruby does not limit flight range when flying under aided or manual control.

In event of control signal loss or panic switch activation, Ruby will return the aircraft to home location from several miles range.

Under automous modes, Ruby has a factory programmed 3000 foot range, beyond which it will attempt to return home. Please contact support@uthere.com if you need longer range and have a suitable remote location.

Use outside of the United States
Ruby's guidance system is not particularly well suited for military uses, until export regulations are clarified, Ruby will only be shipped to USA addresses, and Ruby's IMU and navigation systems will be configured to only function inside the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Please contact sales@uthere.com to be notified when we are able to ship outside the USA"

Soooo.... living in Australia means I can't make a legitimate purchase, and being restricted to 3000'/ 1km, seems for me the FY is looking like a more viable option...
If you can wait, wait for openpilot.org. No limits, open source, Australia based. Will eventually do everything from fixed wing to quads to flybarless, including unrestricted nav.

Cliff
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmic View Post

Anyway, the feeling of losing the video feed, even if for just a fraction of a second, is total fear... and I'm thinking of getting an antenna tracker with a high gain patch antenna...
I do understand that. After flying 10 times or more, you will probably get used to your 1 second dropouts, if they are not longer than 1 second...

I get dropouts when flying right over head, but no drop outs at all out to the side (1km away and 300m high). I can fly easily out to 1.5km with just a little video noise. This is with stock bazooka dipole antennas (thicker bottom half, thinner top half antenna) on 700mw power on 1280mhz with receiver (antenna directly attached) mounted on top of 2m plastic pole and both antennas (tx and rx) vertical. Receiver on top of pole helps for "line of sight" issue. Video signal cannot pass through anything but air. Not people, not cars, not tree trunks, not much tree leaves.

I have finally gotten used to the dropouts that happen when I fly right overhead. Note that I do not fly high when I am over head, so the dropout does not last long. If you were flying 1km high and straight up, the dropout would last way too long.

Try flying out to the side, not over head.

Cliff
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:44 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2009
145 Posts
Or you can have another angle on your antennas? - If you have to fly high above your head?
Foskje is offline Find More Posts by Foskje