HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Just wanted to thanks a few people here like Gundamitpete and others who are making FPV a very quick and succesful learning curve for me. Even if Im now FPVless
no problem man
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
Quote:
For a while now I've been noticing a kind of rippling/flickering that is pretty much always present in my video feed, though to varying degrees throughout a flight. It's not RF interference and it's not caused by weak signal, since it occurs just as much with the plane sitting right next to me as a mile away. I also don't think it's ESC noise, since I power my flight and video systems separately, it's there even when the motor and ESC are off, and it usually doesn't vary with motor speed.
It appears to me that your microphone's audio levels are much too high and this is causing the audio sub-carrier to bleed into the video. A simple test to confirm this is to remove the microphone and do a similar flight without it.

- Thomas
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:27 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Quote:
It appears to me that your microphone's audio levels are much too high and this is causing the audio sub-carrier to bleed into the video. A simple test to confirm this is to remove the microphone and do a similar flight without it.
Holy crap. I have no idea how you could tell that just by looking at it, but you're absolutely right. I just confirmed that it is indeed sound related. I was able able to replicate the rippling by turning on my video system and whistling into the microphone (which is built into the camera). When I disconnected the audio wire, the video cleared up.

So what should I do to solve that? Use an external microphone rather than the one built-in to the camera? Or is it a problem with the audio channel on my VTX rather than the microphone on the camera?
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Definitely a good call. If you don't care about audio just ground the wire, lol.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Well I do want audio on my plane because I rely on that to let me hear the motor. So maybe I'll pick up one of those cheap external mics instead and just remove the audio wire from the camera connector (it's already falling off anyway--I've had to solder it back on several times, though luckily the video and power wires are still attached quite solidly to the connector).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:20 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
just put a resistor inline with the audio. should bring the signal down. your TX also might have an adjustment, although i'd just use the resistor.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,609 Posts
Okay, I'll try that. What type of resistor though? There are lots of them... What ohm value do I need?
Last edited by prelator; Jan 13, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I wouldn't really know. I most likely would just buy a few different values and pop them in, seeing which one works best. Someone else would most likely chime in with more expertise, I don't really use audio so this hasn't been an issue for me.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:50 AM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
I used a resistor with my Radio Shack mic, one of those little ones. About 150ohms (or is it milli ohms?).
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Ok, checked the weather forecast. Looks like tomorrow will be a good day to test this thing out!
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,831 Posts
I stopped useing audio for some planes and found video to be better at long range without audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RC-CAM View Post

- Thomas
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:42 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
no problem man
After giving a bit of thought to my next FPV platform, I decided to go with the 168 Long Ranger for a few reasons. Firstly, I like the layout, lots of room for FPV gear. Secondly, its a nice size at 65` span and all composite and very strong. The V1 was a bit hit n miss from the threads I have read but the V2 with flaps that I have ordered seems better.

I also want to install a full LED lighting set with flashing strobe, landing light and Nav lights so bought the best kit on the market from Braincube in the UK http://www.braincube-aero.com/
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
The hardest part in FPV I've found it simply waiting for stuff to arrive from across seas. Next month I'll be able to post shots of my newest FPV 900mhz setup based on a bixler, along with some neat transmitter mods.
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
After giving a bit of thought to my next FPV platform, I decided to go with the 168 Long Ranger for a few reasons. Firstly, I like the layout, lots of room for FPV gear. Secondly, its a nice size at 65` span and all composite and very strong. The V1 was a bit hit n miss from the threads I have read but the V2 with flaps that I have ordered seems better.

]
That is a cool bird and I too have looked at that one. I picked the RQ-11 Raven for my second FPV. (before I fly this one I will have to get comfortable flying ...and crashing my Bixler)
http://www.nitroplanes.com/projet-003-rq11.html
I figure sense it was purpose designed for hand launched FPV for the US Army it would be just the ticket for FPV. Its 1:1 scale. I am doing some modifications like making the nose removable for better access. Loads of room for goodies!
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
@chukmil
What are those things covering your iron clamps ? Just some rubber pieces ?
Thanks
V is offline Find More Posts by V