Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:49 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
FlySky it is indeed... well I think between 800 meters and 1 kilometer, about the same range as the Turnigy 9x.

In theory it should reach about 1 mile with ease as well, but you will need to check for a flawed quality control. Range checks are mandatory.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:58 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Oh, my mistake! I thought it was a typo...

Use of cheap gear will result in a lost plane. It's best to use only trusted gear. Good call Ian.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
BTW, while there are many "full range" 2.4Ghz systems available out there,
the difference between the proven systems and the really cheap ones tends
to be the quality of the input filtering. In an Rf clean environment
they may perform well, but put a video Tx nearby and the cheaper Rxs get
swamped and their range is severely reduced.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Oh, my mistake! I thought it was a typo...

Use of cheap gear will result in a lost plane. It's best to use only trusted gear. Good call Ian.
Cheap has nothing to do with it, just make sure you don't assume anything even with socalled proven systems. Its why so many try to fly Fpv with Spektrum.

I wouldnt say every TH9x v2 system will have a range over 1km but mine does at less than a tenth of the usual AAA brand transmitter costs. I don't think signal quality is all that bad because it worked when Spektrum failed.

But this means very little when its not confirmed with a range test. :-)
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:05 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
When I saw "proven" I mean proven on an FPV platform which is a difficult Rf environment.
I don't really care about the brand, or even the price. When I say "cheap" I mean those
thrown into the market with half assed designs to cash in on the 2.4Ghz craze. There are
proven 2.4Ghz systems for FPV that are quite inexpensive.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2011, 05:03 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
When I saw "proven" I mean proven on an FPV platform which is a difficult Rf environment.
I don't really care about the brand, or even the price. When I say "cheap" I mean those
thrown into the market with half assed designs to cash in on the 2.4Ghz craze. There are
proven 2.4Ghz systems for FPV that are quite inexpensive.

ian
I understand, I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions there then as you're right indeed.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:03 PM
If I yell "look out" I mean it
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
Hi, new to FPV, I'm hoping by the end of this summer I'll be up and flying. (I'll be building on one of my EZ Stars.) For now, I'm just taking it all in from this thread and others and playing around with some ground FPV on a Slash to get my feet wet. So thanks for all your posts!

Reading the most recent posts, I also have a Dx6i. But one thing I'm doing with the Slash set up, is powering it all up and physically walking around the neighborhood with the truck - while my son is in front of the TV with a walkie talkie telling me "hey you lost signal" or "it looks good", or "go back to where you just were", etc. All the while I'm making mental notes on what I'm going to do next for improvement.

Anyhow, I was thinking why not do the same thing with an FPV plane set up? Before a maiden flight, does it make sense to set up one's system, physically take the plane (e.g. put it in your trunk of your car, drive a mile away - or wherever your destination is), and have a buddy at your viewing station to tell you if there is successful downlink or not? Is this recommended?

THEN even driving FURTHER away (e.g. another half mile lets say). If all things are a go, less likely you'll have problems between point A and point B. The goal of course to have less stress on that maiden flight! Right?

I remember my first few launches when I was learning to fly, remembering when my stomach would tense up! So stressful! I can only imagine the stress of possibly loosing $600 worth of equipment like one of you just said!
gpierson is offline Find More Posts by gpierson
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
That will work fine. Ground tests will help eliminate problems in the air.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:44 PM
Winter Sucks!!
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Aug 2002
750 Posts
Hi, I'm new to FPV but after a week of reading over forums I have come
up with an FPV system that I think will work for me.
Please let me know if I am missing something that might be wrong with
this setup, Thanks.

Transmitter: dpcav.com
900MHz A/V Transmitter, 500mW

Reciever: dpcav.com
900MHz A/V Receiver, Deluxe Dual Output

Patch Antenna: dpcav.com
900MHz Patch Antenna, 8dBi gain

Vee antenna: readymadeRC
900 MHz Vee Antenna

Remzibi osd: NG Hobbies
Remzibi

Not sure which camera or microphone yet.

Below is the plane that will carry it all: The Solution UL

Thanks,

Randy
romans1015 is offline Find More Posts by romans1015
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:39 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans1015 View Post
this setup, Thanks.

900 MHz Vee Antenna

Remzibi

Thanks,

Randy
Just an opinion, and there are those that go the opposite way, but I firmly believe that you should buy and play with a cheap setup initially. You can get a good working video link for under $60 shipped (transmitter, receiver, antennas that works out to a mile in stock configuration, I am buying one from eBay right now for $44 shipped) and a CCD camera for $20 to $50 and don't even use an OSD to start with. My cheap setup works so well with stock antennas that I have not bought from the expensive places yet.

I recommend getting a CCD camera with OSD (OSD is just camera settings on screen when referring to cameras). Search "ccd osd" on eBay and sore by price plus shipping. I use the bare board cameras as they are cheaper and can be a lot lighter. I have not found them to be any more fragile. I recommend a Clover HDC041 or the pinhole one or the dome one if night time might be important, but the HDC041 has a heavy metal case. Samsclub.com had them for $83 shipped, but they only have the pinhole and dome now. Elsewhere they are $100 or more.

OSD (FPV OSD) really needs GPS to be fun, but you want Return To Launch capability too so you probably need a flight stabilization system too. All that is so big that you need a bigger airplane to carry it... Some video link frequencies can interfere with GPS so research your video link frequency to avoid future GPS problems. All this becomes a large amount of stuff to learn, and can cause crashes and fly aways if you don't learn it.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:28 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans1015 View Post
this setup, Thanks.

900 MHz Vee Antenna

Remzibi

Thanks,

Randy
Good setup. I think you will be happy with it. However, you can save yourself some money in shipping by buying the V-dipole from dpcav: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

The V-dipole is an excellent antenna and performs well. Although if you want a Vee built by my own hands, buy the one from Ready Made RC

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
911 Posts
An osd is not a bad idea even in the beginning, it's easy to get disoriented during the first flights and even later. And seeing the battery voltage can reduce some risks too.

I would say that with hard crashes you can destroy a motor, battery pack and a lot of parts of the airframe, but most of the time the osd, bec and receiver are intact.
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:13 AM
If I yell "look out" I mean it
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Just an opinion, and there are those that go the opposite way, but I firmly believe that you should buy and play with a cheap setup initially. You can get a good working video link for under $60 shipped (transmitter, receiver, antennas that works out to a mile in stock configuration, I am buying one from eBay right now for $44 shipped)
Sorry if it's already in another post, but can you link to the Ebay item? I like this idea!
gpierson is offline Find More Posts by gpierson
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:28 PM
Winter Sucks!!
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Aug 2002
750 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Cliff: Less expensive is always nice but I feel more comfortable buying
what others already used and have been successful with from
companies that are also pretty reputable. Also it's not like I'm
saving hundreds of dollars.
I'll take a look at the camera you mentioned. I need a small
camera. Not that the plane I'm using cant handle more weight
but I will be doing on board recording with a separate camera
and using the fpv camera to see what my digital camera is
pointing at. So I would like a small fpv camera to mount or glue
to the front of my digital camera.

As far as the OSD goes I think the little arrow that shows which
direction is home is invaluable. From what I understand, you
dont need GPS for that feature.....Please correct me on that if

I'm wrong

The reason I am getting the dual output receiver is, I will have a 7"
monitor for viewing and my camcorder for recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Good setup. I think you will be happy with it. However, you can save yourself some money in shipping by buying the V-dipole from dpcav: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...1&cat=0&page=1

The V-dipole is an excellent antenna and performs well. Although if you want a Vee built by my own hands, buy the one from Ready Made RC

-Alex

Alex: Thanks for the tip I read so many great things about the vee
antenna which is why I am getting it. Is the V-dipole from
dpcav just as good?? If so I will definitely get the v-dipole
to save on shipping. I really respect you speaking in my best
interest even though it would mean losing a sale for you...all
I can say is...wow!

Ok, all that being said, are there any other suggestions on cameras?

Also, any reason to go with a different OSD than Remzibi??

By the way, my radio is a Spektrum DX7

Thanks again,
Randy
romans1015 is offline Find More Posts by romans1015
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:06 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflap View Post
An osd is not a bad idea even in the beginning, it's easy to get disoriented during the first flights and even later. And seeing the battery voltage can reduce some risks too.

I would say that with hard crashes you can destroy a motor, battery pack and a lot of parts of the airframe, but most of the time the osd, bec and receiver are intact.
That's the thing. Is it good to have osd from the beginning or just learn to navigate by landmarks? Birds don't need osd.

I've flown over 3km without osd and I never once felt disoriented. OSD is cool to have but not necessary. A beginner is going to have more problems than feeling disoriented so if he's getting disoriented quickly he's doing something wrong. You should be able to fly without OSD rather than just follow an arrow. Return to Home is a neat feature to have if it works well that's the reason why I would get an OSD.
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io