SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
i used a 5x5 prop on a 4200kv motor with 3S. it went fast
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_dilger View Post
The easy star is a single motor pusher, right?
I think he meant Twin Star which is a great heavy lifter and good FPV platform to have without a prop spinning in view.

My first FPV was a V3 Skywalker which got mushed when I flew behind an iron shed and lost both video and rx connection.

I am now building a Ritewing Zephyr 66 inch blunt. I have put light retracts on for launch only and belly land on return. There is no FPV gear in it at the moment as I am still planning component install and taping weights to it to ensure it all works as planned. So far so good, although it takes quite a bit of runway to get airborne. I can't imagine hand launching these guys.

Once in the air, it is a very stable flyer and should be rock solid once I install the FY 21AP.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
i used a 5x5 prop on a 4200kv motor with 3S. it burned up fast
fixed for teh lulz
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
Okay you guys convinced me. I ordered a Futaba T7CAP for $75 on Ebay. I'm still getting the ChainLinkDare though, but now it will be pared with a radio that gives me much more room to grow, especially when I eventually get a wing.

However, does anyone know how to connect a long range system to these? I ordered a Futaba square trainer plug from ReadymadeRC along with the patch antenna I was already planning on getting from them, but I can't find any clear instructions on how to hook it up. Is it possible to power a UHF system directly from the radio, or do I need to power it separately? Can a Futaba T7CAP be powered with a 3S lipo, or do I need something else?
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined May 2007
865 Posts
I run my 7C off a 3s lipo from hobbyking.
xatled99 is offline Find More Posts by xatled99
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:29 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Okay you guys convinced me. I ordered a Futaba T7CAP for $75 on Ebay. I'm still getting the ChainLinkDare though, but now it will be pared with a radio that gives me much more room to grow, especially when I eventually get a wing.

However, does anyone know how to connect a long range system to these? I ordered a Futaba square trainer plug from ReadymadeRC along with the patch antenna I was already planning on getting from them, but I can't find any clear instructions on how to hook it up. Is it possible to power a UHF system directly from the radio, or do I need to power it separately? Can a Futaba T7CAP be powered with a 3S lipo, or do I need something else?
good choice

The chainlink should come with some clear instructions, if not, the chainlink thread is the best place to ask. However two of my friends had the older one and they both powered it direction from the trainer port, as the futaba has a 12V out (well, 9.6V nominal).

The lipo thing, people go back and forth all day long. There are one or two first hand accounts of them being broken (usually a friend, or it happened at the feild) and burning up. That said there are many many sucessful lipo users. I'm one of them. I run a 3S lipo in my 9C without any modifications or problems. Longer time between charges and increased transmission power

Keep in mind the stock 7C puts out 300mw on 8 volts (dead stock nicd pack), 375mw on 9.6 volts (nominal), and 445mw on 11.01 volts (peak). Using simple math, you can see that on a 12.6 volt, full charged lipo pack, you are looking at near 600mw of transmission power

So before you buy that chainlink, atleast TRY binding your new futaba to your corona, and see if you have any gitches at the same range. 600mw on 72mhz is nothing to shake a stick at.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:34 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,517 Posts
Yeah I might test it just on 72mhz before adding the ChainLink just to see how it compares. But the ChainLink is already bought. I asked my parents to get me that for Christmas, and assuming they pre-ordered it like I told them to so they could get the antennas that came with the preorder, it should already be here.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:37 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
will they buy me a LRS for christmas too?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2005
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding FPV on the EZ*/Skysurfer/Bixler. I've done some research and a few of the motors I really like perform amazing on a 4S battery. Has anyone tried 4S on these planes WITH fpv gear? I'm just wondering if it would be too much weight and cause a lot of stress on the wings. I will be reinforcing the wings obviously but thought I'd still ask.

Thanks!
I dont think weight would be an issue with a 4s battery. However I think a 3s is fine. On my Bixler I run a 3s 2200 mah and get plenty of power from the ARF stock motor and 20 minutes + run time. If you use a 4s you may need a voltage regulator or you may over power your video gear. I think the carbon tube wing spar that comes with the Bixler is adequately strong. I have carried my video gear + a GoPro and I reinforced the bottom of the fuselage with 6oz fiberglass and epoxy to make it more resistant to landing dings...I know that added a few ozs so mine has flown well with much more weight that the stock setup. Now, you might be able to break the wing if you did a hard pull out of steep dive.....but I dont plan to do that. Of course the heavier the plane the faster you have to fly but even with the extra weight I get good cruse at 1/2 throttle
Chukmil is offline Find More Posts by Chukmil
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:27 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Please, can someone suggest a small very light weight 1.2ghz transmitter in the 200-500mw range?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:48 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
This is a good unit: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=223

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:51 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Thank you Alex.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
I did my first ground test, but it wasn't promising. I got about 50 feet before the video quit. The plane's electronics were off. When I went flying later, I got to see the takeoff toss and then the video went fuzzy (I was flying LOS the entire time). I am using a Lawmate 400 mW 1280 MHz Tx and Lawmate Rx with stock antennas. Is this video reflective of how bad the stock antennas are or am I doing something wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziHti...ature=youtu.be
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
that looks doesn't look like you are at the end of your range, looks more like external problems?

i mean when it comes it, in comes in CLEAR. But when it drops, it looses it's sync.

can you get video of the flight? if it goes fuzzy and then drops into static, that's normall a sign of end of your usable range.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:19 AM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
I got video until shortly after I threw the plane. I'm guessing 150-200 feet. At this point it was gone for good. Nothing but snowy screen, though some weird audio was picked up. Granted, the receiver was only about 6" off the ground so that didn't help, but I didn't expect it to be that bad. I'm hoping an inverted vee or circularly polarized antenna set will help get rid of the hiccups and give me some decent range.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie