HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Auckland NZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Note to newbies:

What constitutes an "acceptable operating area and safe practices" varies from locality to locality...

Definitely on one hand thats a very cool bit of footage and on another level its completely irresponsible. Im flying quadcopters and the fear of hitting someone would stop me trying that
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:33 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,651 Posts
Noob electronics question - I want to power 3 devices from my ground station battery (5000mah Lipo).

1. Video receiver
2. Goggles
3. Video capture device (as yet dont know what to buy, maybe pinnacle)

All devices require 12 volts.

How do I wire this up? I know very little about electronics. Serial, parallel, something else? Need fuses? Want to keep it as simple as possible. Could someone draw up a quick diagram. Thx in advance.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:51 PM
Bay Area California
Joined Dec 2009
296 Posts
Simple, just connect all the positive wires of the devices together and all the negative one together and attach them to your lipo. Easy as that.
matyou is offline Find More Posts by matyou
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:26 AM
Internal Paradigm Consultant
Joined Dec 2009
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyou View Post
Simple, just connect all the positive wires of the devices together and all the negative one together and attach them to your lipo. Easy as that.
Basically like an octopus. This is called connecting in parallell.
perfeet is offline Find More Posts by perfeet
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:56 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,634 Posts
Will this antenna work ok with the HK 900Mhz Tx?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=302

Using this Tx/Rx setup:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13438
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:03 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,092 Posts
Yes it will work fine with it
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Yes it will work fine with it
Thanks. It says "Tuned for 910MHz" so is it specific to the channel or would it work across all 4 channels the Tx uses?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
It will work with all channels, but works best at 910MHz. If you want one tuned for a different channel I can make you one. I have been making those antennas for quite some time now

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
It will work with all channels, but works best at 910MHz. If you want one tuned for a different channel I can make you one. I have been making those antennas for quite some time now

-Alex
Great thanks. I can certianly run on 910 anyway, was jsut curious. Looking to replace the stock antenna which seems to have somethig loose in it anyway.

Or perhaps I can make one if I had the wiring. Could I rip the stock rubber duck antenna apart and jsut use that for the lead to the V antenna part? I can put together the V ok I suspect, it is just using solid core wire correct?
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:26 AM
Fer
Travelling far and wide
Nederland
Joined Jul 2009
107 Posts
Hey Alex,

Do you also make 5.8GHz vee antenna's?

If not, wat would you adives for the best antenna for 5.8GHz?
I am using a bev 5.8GHz 200mw TX/Rx.

thnx in advance.

Fer
Fer is offline Find More Posts by Fer
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:32 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyou View Post
Cheers thx for that. I might end up using two sets of EC3 parallel connectors then. My soldering skills are poor
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
I have made a few 5.GHz Vees, but I really don't like to do it as the tolerances are very tight. However, I do make cloverleaf antennas at 5.8GHz. These are circularly polarized. If you use one, it is best to have a circular antenna on both the TX and RX.

-Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fer View Post
Hey Alex,

Do you also make 5.8GHz vee antenna's?

If not, wat would you adives for the best antenna for 5.8GHz?
I am using a bev 5.8GHz 200mw TX/Rx.

thnx in advance.

Fer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:07 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Great thanks. I can certianly run on 910 anyway, was jsut curious. Looking to replace the stock antenna which seems to have somethig loose in it anyway.

Or perhaps I can make one if I had the wiring. Could I rip the stock rubber duck antenna apart and jsut use that for the lead to the V antenna part? I can put together the V ok I suspect, it is just using solid core wire correct?
Sadly, you really can't do much with the stock antenna except extend it to the proper length after removing the internal spring.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Alex,
is there a page or site giving more information on orientation/radiation pattern for the V antenna? I picked one up from ReadyMade, as well as a standard patch. They suggest the nose of the aircraft but don't specify horizontal or vertical.
For some reason I would have expected "point down" like traditional wire landing gear on a slow stick.
Thx!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:44 AM
USA, WA, Dayton
Joined Feb 2011
15 Posts
Two channel video question?

Well you all have pushed me over the edge

I have been a spectator for years contemplating getting back into RC. Then a few months ago I stumbled across an FPV video on Youtube. I'm hooked!

I have an Easy Star on the way and an Arducopter under construction on the workbench. It will be a while before I actually fly FPV but I am allready tinkering with design ideas. I have run into one question that I have not been able to find a good answer to:

I would like to have two fixed cameras in my bird. One looking forward for FPV and one in the belly for a straight down shot. I am having trouble finding a good solution for a two channel video system. I am a licensed HAM so I am open to solutions that require ham license.

Suggestions??

Thanks Everyone for the wealth of info you have made available on this forum!

Stephen
StephenG is offline Find More Posts by StephenG