SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,359 Posts
In general, a 3-bladed prop should be 50% more "load" on the motor, and push 50% more air at the same rpm. This can be quite significant!
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES View Post
10 minutes is definitely a joke for fpv.
Unless you fly aerobatic jets in formation... Then 10 minutes might be too long...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Unless you fly aerobatic jets in formation... Then 10 minutes might be too long...
very true
THOMASJONES is offline Find More Posts by THOMASJONES
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Ok, sounds good, but what will happen if I stick with the NiCD pack that is included? Can I still expect decent range?

Keep in mind that I have never yet flown FPV. I am just going to stick to the basics. The guys at my hobby store said that Futaba radios have good range without LiPo packs but I'm not sure...
That sounds like complete hooey to me. Don't these radios run an internal regulator? You aren't actually sending more power to the circuits when your input voltage is high - you're just wasting energy in the regulator.

That said, I run the A123 packs in my radios and the convenience of being able to charge at the field, and the better overall performance makes it worthwhile to me. But I don't expect the radio to work any better - that sounds just a little bit crazy to me.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:56 PM
Village Idiot!
ScooterInVegas's Avatar
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Don't these radios run an internal regulator? You aren't actually sending more power to the circuits when your input voltage is high - you're just wasting energy in the regulator.
Thats the way I understand it.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
Registered User
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,536 Posts
too high of a voltage can burn out the regulator

also stock batteries drop peak voltage fast and settle down to the recommended voltage for the rc tx

so if you use a lipo as an example charge it to the
'settleing down" voltage as lipo battery will not drop in volts like the stock one

you won't get further with more volts to the rc tx



Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That sounds like complete hooey to me. Don't these radios run an internal regulator? You aren't actually sending more power to the circuits when your input voltage is high - you're just wasting energy in the regulator.

That said, I run the A123 packs in my radios and the convenience of being able to charge at the field, and the better overall performance makes it worthwhile to me. But I don't expect the radio to work any better - that sounds just a little bit crazy to me.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
FYI - I run a lipo in my Futaba 9zWc2. Because the radio was designed to operate with NiCD's originally, I use diodes to drop the voltage of the lipo. I am rather fond of my 9z, and decided to be safe and run the radio at the voltage it was designed for rather than risk it.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:59 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
PLD's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Quite right, you're not going to get any extended range with a higher voltage or bigger pack. At best you'll get the special edition infinitely shortened range version when the regulator or caps go *POP* from the excessive voltage (and heat).
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Ball3r
custom t's Avatar
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2009
598 Posts
You would know... * reads "magic smoke maker" from title... lol
P.s if you guys could take a quick look at my thread and give me some tips for my first fpv flight...

P.s.s OMG!! 500th post.?!!
custom t is offline Find More Posts by custom t
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:43 AM
Registered FPVer :)
markus123456's Avatar
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nft343 View Post
FYI - I run a lipo in my Futaba 9zWc2. Because the radio was designed to operate with NiCD's originally, I use diodes to drop the voltage of the lipo. I am rather fond of my 9z, and decided to be safe and run the radio at the voltage it was designed for rather than risk it.
I use a little DC/DC converter to bring the lipo voltage down to what the HF part requires. The digital part (in my radio) can cope with the lipo voltage and this gives the advantage that the voltage shown by the radio is still what the Lipo delivers giving me an easier way to check the stat of the lipo battery.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
That sounds like complete hooey to me. Don't these radios run an internal regulator? You aren't actually sending more power to the circuits when your input voltage is high - you're just wasting energy in the regulator.

That said, I run the A123 packs in my radios and the convenience of being able to charge at the field, and the better overall performance makes it worthwhile to me. But I don't expect the radio to work any better - that sounds just a little bit crazy to me.
http://fpv-community.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=911

and:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApp...html?id=388590 <--page 22

The transmitter's output power goes up proportional to the input voltage. I've read this many times elsewhere.

simply put, want more range? get more volts
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:40 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
too high of a voltage can burn out the regulator

also stock batteries drop peak voltage fast and settle down to the recommended voltage for the rc tx

so if you use a lipo as an example charge it to the
'settleing down" voltage as lipo battery will not drop in volts like the stock one

you won't get further with more volts to the rc tx
according to the FCC, you will get further with more volts to the TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
Quite right, you're not going to get any extended range with a higher voltage or bigger pack. At best you'll get the special edition infinitely shortened range version when the regulator or caps go *POP* from the excessive voltage (and heat).
I'm no IBcrazy, but from what i have read, the final amplifyer in a 7C is unregulated. This is where you get the boost in output power
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
PLD's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
I'm no IBcrazy, but from what i have read, the final amplifyer in a 7C is unregulated. This is where you get the boost in output power
If that's the case, then yes, you might get some gains - that said you'll probably also will get a whole lot of spread on the noise too, as well as likely violating FCC limits. You will still also be at risk of burning out parts depending on how close to the edge they designed certain things.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:45 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Looks like it's a specific case only with that radio... although I do remember that my range was noticeably reduced when my Hitec would run low on power - yet another thing to hate about 72MHz I guess. I wonder if all the radios are like that - it seems dangerous to regulate the power output in that way.

But my point about the A123 battery is that you won't melt your radio with it - it has almost the same voltage range as the stock NiMH packs, and it has all those other groovy features, but I'm not convinced it's worthwhile to up the voltage over what the stock packs give. After all, what good is more range if the radio melts in your hands?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
SOME THOUGHTS ON THAT FCC DOCUMENT


the FCC document shows this for a 7C:

8.16v - 297mW
9.60v - 375mW
11.04 - 442mW

Using some simple math (read:google calculators), we can extrapolate for a fully charged 12.6 volt lipo.

12.6 - 575mw

at 12.6 volts, you are looking at near 600mwmw of output power, which is double the stock power at 8.16 volts.

This will give you roughly 30% more range, in thoery.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How to calculate flight time - guide ikorman Multirotor Talk 11 Dec 30, 2011 07:22 PM
Discussion How many FPV pilots in the world? rbmaze FPV Talk 10 Aug 03, 2011 06:16 AM
Poll Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store? FPVNOW FPV Aircraft 36 Oct 06, 2010 08:56 PM
Discussion Can this cam be used for FPV ? SpookiePower FPV Talk 8 Sep 12, 2010 07:12 AM
Cool How cool would this be for FPV Kai_Shiden FPV Talk 2 May 11, 2009 07:41 PM