SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
I cannot comment on the FrSky system. I fly 72MHz and a DragonLink. However the WiFi booster really does work. You can even couple it with an inexpensive patch antenna by getting an inexpensive IPX (U.FL) jumper cable.

PM sent on the equipment.

-Alex
It really doesn't matter to me which control system it is. I just want something that is affordable that will get me that range I am looking for. About the antennas, how many do I need and should they be on the transmitter or receiver? With one of your helical antennas and that $60 transmitter/receiver combo, can I achieve 3-4 miles of range?
tbear2195 is offline Find More Posts by tbear2195
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear2195 View Post
It really doesn't matter to me which control system it is. I just want something that is affordable that will get me that range I am looking for. About the antennas, how many do I need and should they be on the transmitter or receiver? With one of your helical antennas and that $60 transmitter/receiver combo, can I achieve 3-4 miles of range?
If you fly in a good location and aim the antenna properly, then yes you can. However, remember the range equation. Selection of a site, keeping the Fresnel zone clear, and aiming the antenna properly are essential and not easily understood until you've experienced problems with it. Experience gets you as much range as your equipment does.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Alright thanks for all the help. I really just wanted to get an estimate of how much it would cost to equip a plane with a camera and all the necessary electronics. I will probably buy a plane soon in the future but I will fly it some and get used to it before I buy any video equipment.
tbear2195 is offline Find More Posts by tbear2195
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
I did search the forums but didnt find the answer so forgive me if its out there somewhere. There is a guy in Brazil, has the nickname of Gabriel. I have seen some of his FPV flights and in one he passes through 2 car tunnels. I was under the impression that fpv needed some sort of line of sight for the antenna. Im amazed that he got through 2 reasonably long tunnels. Is he using something different from the usual gear?

Thanks
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I did search the forums but didnt find the answer so forgive me if its out there somewhere. There is a guy in Brazil, has the nickname of Gabriel. I have seen some of his FPV flights and in one he passes through 2 car tunnels. I was under the impression that fpv needed some sort of line of sight for the antenna. Im amazed that he got through 2 reasonably long tunnels. Is he using something different from the usual gear?

Thanks
His ground station was positioned at one end of the tunnel... so his signal would be LOS while flying thru said tunnel....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:09 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Pretty sure that one was flown from a chase car.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

ian
Ahhh, right you are... I was thinking of a different vid...
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

ian
The one I saw he hand launched it from the side of the road, didnt seem like a car chase but could have been. thanks for the replies.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
Its this video
FPV from suburbs to the beach (5 min 19 sec)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
The launch was from the middle of the road. Should be pretty obvious that
the ground station was in a car.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
cool thanks
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:01 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Note to newbies:

What constitutes an "acceptable operating area and safe practices" varies from locality to locality...

scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Note to newbies:

What constitutes an "acceptable operating area and safe practices" varies from locality to locality...

You would think common sense would cover "acceptable operating area and safe practices" ! but In many cases that is not the case
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
661 Posts
Power connector

Hi

Can anyone suggest best option what battery connectors are prefered to use in FPV? I see a lot of OSDs and current sensors use T-Connectors like these.
Maybe it shoud be pointed in document on first page wich connector is prefered for maximum compatibility.

Kristaps
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:42 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaps_r View Post
Hi

Can anyone suggest best option what battery connectors are prefered to use in FPV? I see a lot of OSDs and current sensors use T-Connectors like these.
I must say I like those T-connectors as they won't go loose easily.

But basically any kind will do, just as long as your plane will operate under normal circumstances using those connectors. I'd pay a little attention to what A it can handle, but that's about it.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX