HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:43 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
400 foot range test? Is your TX antenna extended or collapsed? Is the RX antenna off the ground?

To give you a perspective: I range test mine with my TX antenna removed. I did a range test where the Corona would lock out at 200 feet with the plane on a table 3 feet in the air. That RX regularly does 2 miles.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:45 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
At the risk of being a pain; I have a box of coronas 35, 72,40 mhz that i bought to select from to get a reasonable range. One day one or other looked good, the next day the same one was dangerous, and on different planes. They are totally un reliable for FPV.
It is not worth losing( or crashing) the fpv stuff economising on radio control. Buy Dragon Link or other long range so at least you can forget about one risk. You may want a bit more range one day, anyway.
I lost a plane and hundreds of $'s of equipment using a corona, because I lost rc signal.
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:48 AM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,503 Posts
My range test method is to put my transmitter standing vertical with the antenna fully extended in a second story window of my house, then walk around my neighborhood carrying the plane and watching the red light on the receiver. Because I have the half wave extension on, half of the antenna is horizontal along the fuselage, and half is hanging vertical off the tail.

I just ordered a new Corona last night, and I'm thinking maybe the half wave extension is more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll try it with the stock length for a little while first.

And foufly, I'm planning on getting one of those new ChainLinkDare UHF systems for Christmas, since that's the first one I've seen that looks even remotely affordable. I would love to have a more reliable RC control link that I didn't have to worry about all the time. After that one crash due to RC lockout, I am totally spooked by 72mhz.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Last edited by prelator; Nov 08, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:22 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
I know somewhere I saw a link to a site for locating transmission towers in your area, but I can't find it again. Does anyone know? -- thanks, JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:14 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,403 Posts
www.antennasearch.com
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:23 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Thanks for the link. Also, I bought the 3 wrap helical like you suggested. Your site said "out of stock", so I got it from Tim @ "ReadyMade". Supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm excited. Thanks again for the call, that was extremely generous of you. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I was able to modify the page to get a higher res image of my flying location. Thanks for the link.

chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Hi guys, I have a noob question.

I have a system from ReadyMadeRC ready to go. I also have an Easystar ready to go with the exception of one thing; the ESC and battery need to connect.

I am just days away from my first flight - this is so exciting!

The ESC is the brushless Easystar's, but for some strange reason it has no clips on it... So my quuestio is, where can I find the clips to solder onto the ESC? (to connect to the battery)

Here is a link. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPVF5
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Salinas
Joined Nov 2011
153 Posts
Connectors can be found almost anywhere. Just match up with what's on the battery.
n5iln is offline Find More Posts by n5iln
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:58 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Hi guys, I have a noob question.

I have a system from ReadyMadeRC ready to go. I also have an Easystar ready to go with the exception of one thing; the ESC and battery need to connect.

I am just days away from my first flight - this is so exciting!

The ESC is the brushless Easystar's, but for some strange reason it has no clips on it... So my quuestio is, where can I find the clips to solder onto the ESC? (to connect to the battery)

Here is a link. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPVF5
Deans connectors are popular, widely available and easy to solder (noob solderer here, only been doing it for six months it's not hard). The main disadvantage I have found with them is that they can be difficult to disconnect.
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1357 View Post
Deans connectors are popular, widely available and easy to solder (noob solderer here, only been doing it for six months it's not hard). The main disadvantage I have found with them is that they can be difficult to disconnect.
Right but you cannot use Deans connectors on the ESC to the motor, can you? There are three wires on the motor.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:26 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Right but you cannot use Deans connectors on the ESC to the motor, can you? There are three wires on the motor.
Use the three gold connectors supplied as per above picture
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:45 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Use the three gold connectors supplied as per above picture
Ok but there is some sort of outer covering that's not included. I'm not really an expert at soldering so this is a bit of a challenge for me...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:49 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Ok but there is some sort of outer covering that's not included. I'm not really an expert at soldering so this is a bit of a challenge for me...
I think the 'outer covering' you are referring to is shrink wrap - its insulation (to prevent shorts) and it shrinks in size when heated. You can get it at any electronics store or most hardware stores.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Last edited by idletime; Nov 10, 2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
yes its a shrink wrap.
Do search on Youtube for soldering tips there are some tutorials. Its no magic after you see it.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86