HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:52 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
here is another suggestion I just did this mod to my dx6i total cost was about $60 have not range tested mine yet but this mod has been tested out to over 5 miles

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247186
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:58 AM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
here is another suggestion I just did this mod to my dx6i total cost was about $60 have not range tested mine yet but this mod has been tested out to over 5 miles

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247186
Now this is what I'm talking about! This is exactly what I need. Thanks a LOT for that post. I will be ordering all of this stuff today! I was thinking about the Dragonlink but it's a bit pricey. I don't really need 15 miles anyhow.
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:55 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
OK so I picked up an AR7000 today. I flew out to about 2100 feet at an altitude of 1000 feet and it had no problems at all. I installed the main rcvr on the side of the plane with the antennas vertical and the satellite out on the end of the wing horizontal to the wing. Seems really good although my video started fading at around 2100 feet. I appreciate the advice. Any advice on the video tx antenna? You can see the pic of my current one a few posts back.

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by traderdmb; Feb 15, 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: forgot to mention somethins.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:20 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
OK so I picked up an AR7000 today. I flow out to about 2100 feet at an altitude of 1000 feet and it had no problems at all. I installed the main rcvr on the side of the plane with the antennas vertical and the satellite out on the end of the wing horizontal to the wing. Seems really good although my video started fading at around 2100 feet. I appreciate the advice. Any advice on the video tx antenna? You can see the pic of my current one a few posts back.

Thanks for the advice.
I would keep the satellite receiver vertical as well, the horizontal position will only become better than the vertical one when you are banking more than 45 degrees or climbing more than 45 degrees. If you are going to do this further out than a kilometer then it is worth it otherwise keep them vertical.

For video, make a V antenna for your video transmitter, it will make a huge difference and they are really easy to make.

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
Thanks Mark. I actually just ordered a V from Rangevideo. THanks for the input
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:00 AM
Success fanatic
Buford, Georgia
Joined Jan 2010
79 Posts
I only know of one person in the Atlanta, Georgia area that flies FPV. Is there anyone
in this area that is familiar with Eagle eyes equipment?
asael is offline Find More Posts by asael
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:21 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
Thanks for the input on this thread. I got myself an ar7000 and a vee antenna. BIG DIFFERENCE. I have gone out 3000 feet and clear as a bell. I need a amp for my dx6i and ill be all set.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:08 PM View Post
khunnie
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:16 AM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
I am pretty new to this hobby but would like to start FPV flying. My problem is I'm kind of out of my depth with all of this radio stuff. I want to get a system that will fly out to maybe 3-4 miles. What kind of equipment do I need to get this kind of range consistently?
tbear2195 is offline Find More Posts by tbear2195
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear2195 View Post
I am pretty new to this hobby but would like to start FPV flying. My problem is I'm kind of out of my depth with all of this radio stuff. I want to get a system that will fly out to maybe 3-4 miles. What kind of equipment do I need to get this kind of range consistently?
Please refer to the range equation in this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=1

There are several systems that can achieve this easily, but you need to read the document in the first post and watch the video. My suggestion would be either a BiQuad/Vee combo or a Cloverleaf/helical combination on either 1.3 GHz or 2.4GHz @ 500-1000mW. Range is all in the proper antenna selection.
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:50 AM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
I had already watched that video and read the word documents. I just want to talk to somebody who knows what they're doing before I jump in and buy the wrong stuff or something. I like the equation by the way My other question involves the controls for the plane itself. If you can achieve that kind of range with a video system, how is it done with the controller for the plane?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 08:56 AM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Also, does the transmitter/receiver matter that much? My impression is that it's not very important which one you pick and that they seem pretty much the same. So you're saying it's all about the antenna?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:03 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. I suggest you start simple and then expand your capabilities. This is not wasted money, trust me. System expansion is just that - expansion. You just keep adding on to it as you go.

As I posted earlier a Vee/Biquad antenna combination or a cloverleaf/helical combination can get you your range goals for video. You need an LRS (Long range radio) to get the control range. Choose any proven system that you read about on these forums. They all perform well. For video, I like the 700mW system from www.readymaderc.com. I get the more expensive receiver because it works better.

Now you have a choice in antenna selection: Linear or circular.

I would start out with a dual cloverleaf antenna or dual skew-planar wheel set up. The how-to's are in my blog and they will also start appearing in certain FPV shops in the coming months This will get you a good mile of range on your standard radio. From there, you can add an OSD, antenna tracker and a helical antenna or an OSD, antenna tracker, BiQuad and Vee antenna. The BiQuad/Vee is longer range under ideal conditions, but the Cloverleaf/helical will have better video quality and less drop outs.

-Alex
KJ4RIV
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
I almost forgot - You need to get a HAM radio license. It costs about $15 to take the test. Study materials are all over the internet. Personally, I took about 15 practice exams and then took the real thing.

-Alex
KJ4RIV
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
I'm looking at some products right now on rangevideo.com. Am I going in the right direction here?

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...&products_id=5

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...products_id=12

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=226

(Obviously I know not to use the same frequency for video and control, but that's not what I'm concerned about right now because each of these products are available in different frequencies.)