HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Stupid Question... whats a CL/SPW? Im guessing some sort of directional antenna?
they are not too difficult to make if u have a little patience
these are OMNI antennas .. they are not directional so u can fly all around yourself and still get good reception
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388264
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352583

or u can buy them at the link by scooter on the previous page
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:39 AM
KJ6RCJ
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Answers:

1. Mounting on the wing would help. so would mounting it on the BOTTOM of the tail as close to the ground as possible. The wing would be better, though.

2. Absolutely. Chances are that's your biggest problem.

3. Just because the RX didn't specify a brown out doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you lost all control, you lost signal. Any VTX can have that effect if it is close to the RX.

-Alex
Alex,

Thanks for your response. I may change my FPV system to 1.3G or pack up and find another flying area. BTW, your vee antenna is the best!

Gent
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Signal loss and brown-out are not the same thing. The "blinking indication" of the Spek receivers indicates a brown-out, NOT a signal loss. To detect signal losses, you need the data log reader, and a high-end RX which logs the data. Many people confuse these situations and that is part of the reason why "on the internet" Spek brown-outs look like a much bigger problem than they are - because almost any problem anybody ever has with the system, they call it a brown-out. It's a fairly specific term, meaning a significant loss of power, but not total loss of power. One of my friends recently flew his plane up to the LVC, and had to land because the motor wouldn't run any more - when he posted the video, he put "Spektrum Brown-out" in the video title. So, this situation is very commonly misunderstood.
That's an eye opener for a comparison. When it happened to me, I lost all control outputs and throttle and yet my Ar7000 leds were solid. I and my friends were confused about what happened. Your explanation makes sense. But why does this happened, maybe because of my 900mhz video TX? My RC receiver was inside the fuse while my Vid tx was on the flat portion of the Skywalker's tail. It's about 6-8 inches away from the RC Rx.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2008
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Hmm, well if I can't find a $20 as-is DVD player off ebay (the trick is to look for models that have AV inputs and are listed as not playing DVDs but having working screens) that works, I might try that, though I'd rather not pay $95 if I can help it. As it is, I now have several sitting around that I need to re-sell when I get around to it.
I was able to score an 7" screen off of ebay for $30.00 shipped to my door. The trick is to look for LCD screens. For example this is the exact one that i purchased and it works great except for I need to devise a shading device so i can even see the screen. It even came with all of the cords and straps to mount it! Here is the Link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:L:OU:US:1123
noxnflame is offline Find More Posts by noxnflame
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
That's an eye opener for a comparison. When it happened to me, I lost all control outputs and throttle and yet my Ar7000 leds were solid. I and my friends were confused about what happened. Your explanation makes sense. But why does this happened, maybe because of my 900mhz video TX? My RC receiver was inside the fuse while my Vid tx was on the flat portion of the Skywalker's tail. It's about 6-8 inches away from the RC Rx.
Signal loss can happen for any number of reasons and it can be very hard to determine why in any particular case but I would bet you just went too far. Every setup has a limit beyond which the receiver just can't hear your radio. You found out what it was. If you want to go farther I would guess you have to make some changes to your installation or try a different system.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:52 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
What kind of camera and how close is it to the Rx. 900mhz 1/4 1/2 waves is not close to 2.4, so I would guess thats not the problem.

My one guess would be a noisy camera too close to the Rx, but that is just a guess.
My camera is the RMRC 480. Is it noisy? I mounted it with a pan servo atop the fuselage where there is a space for the servo.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:05 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Signal loss can happen for any number of reasons and it can be very hard to determine why in any particular case but I would bet you just went too far. Every setup has a limit beyond which the receiver just can't hear your radio. You found out what it was. If you want to go farther I would guess you have to make some changes to your installation or try a different system.
jasmine2501,

When I lost power, the SW was just about 150 yards away, lol. That's the good thing, compared to a mile away. My set up: 900mhz Vid tx and cam; AR7000/ DX7; 4000mah 3 cell lipo. I flew the same setup the day before with no problems. Funny thing is that after I retrieved the SW on the field, I flew my PZ T28 on the same area but a little bit farther. I lost control of the plane again but it glided towards my position and I was able to regain control. Compare that to the SW which was nearer me but when it happened, I totally lost everything, LOL. I was thinking maybe somebody on the other side of the field was flashing a powerful laser beam at the planes, lol. Would that disrupt the Spektrum signal? Just a thought, lol.

Gent
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:08 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Very interesting... sounds like a bad place to fly. I've never really heard of that, but I have seen people have trouble with all 2.4GHz systems one day out at a local club. I was one of the victims, and my plane was failing the range check after I recovered it. Maybe instead of doing your range check "in the pits" you could walk out to the area where you intend to fly and see if there's a problem in that area.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:08 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
My camera is the RMRC 480. Is it noisy? I mounted it with a pan servo atop the fuselage where there is a space for the servo.
I know for a fact the the RMRC-540 has zero RF. I use the 480 and have no problems at all with my set-up. Ive been out to 4.5 miles with 75-85% RSSI. (with antenna held up vert)
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
jasmine2501,

Compare that to the SW which was nearer me but when it happened, I totally lost everything, LOL. I was thinking maybe somebody on the other side of the field was flashing a powerful laser beam at the planes, lol. Would that disrupt the Spektrum signal? Just a thought, lol.

Gent
Your video gear will lessen your range a little with the same Rx.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:13 AM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Dec 2008
306 Posts
I have a quick question for y'all. Why is it that i recently purchased a 1.3ghz 300mw tx&rx combo and hooked it up and tested it in a field and at about 500 feet away i was getting static! Why is this happening. And i know that range only increases in the air but what i dopn't really understand is why would it bee so different if i still have line of site in a field? And what exactly is RF noise?
Thanks
noxnflame is offline Find More Posts by noxnflame
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:14 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Your video gear will lessen your range a little with the same Rx.
Scoot,

I see, that makes sense. But I have a low pass filter installed between the vee antenna and the vid TX. Would you recommend going the LRS way? I just want to maximize the range of the 500mw 900mhz FPV system.

Gent
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:16 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Scoot,

I see, that makes sense. But I have a low pass filter installed between the vee antenna and the vid TX. Would you recommend going the LRS way? I just want to maximize the range of the 500mw 900mhz FPV system.

Gent
And I'm just saying if you don't want to change the video gear, you need to work on the radio system. Move the receiver or something, it might work.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:20 AM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Take the filter out and check your range. 900mhz shouldn't need a filter. Which filter? Some of them are junk.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:21 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
Very interesting... sounds like a bad place to fly. I've never really heard of that, but I have seen people have trouble with all 2.4GHz systems one day out at a local club. I was one of the victims, and my plane was failing the range check after I recovered it. Maybe instead of doing your range check "in the pits" you could walk out to the area where you intend to fly and see if there's a problem in that area.
Strange really. I hope it's just a atmospheric glitch or something 'coz that is the only field (farm actually) where we fly unobstructed. And the local police don't bother us. Since it is a farm, walking out to the field to do range testing is out of the question, out of respect to the owners of the land who let us fly. Anyway, I'm going to try out to fly again minus the FPV system. I will just test the Spektrum signal on the field. BTW, did you ever recover the range after failing it during that fateful day at your club?