SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterFSF View Post
ok guys well I am thinking of getting a fpv set up and was wondering what the best bundle package was these days.
Check out ReadmadeRC.com if your in the US. Good service and he is in the US, not China.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
3DHS Trunk-monkey
Joined Oct 2007
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
There is no "best" set-up. Thats like asking what is the best truck to buy or the best Football team.

It would depend on what country you live in and the type of radio you plane to use for starters.
I am in Arkansas and use Futaba FASST. I understand there is not "the best" but you understand what I ment. Just looking for something that is a great place to start that has good video quality from the start.
FireFighterFSF is offline Find More Posts by FireFighterFSF
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:25 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Either... because you want to spam the entire band with impunity... or, you bought into the myth that Futaba receivers will run fine without power...
no arguments from me as i speak from personal experience and of at least 5 flyers that i have flown with ...
and please show me how to run my futaba receivers without power .. might get some 30secs of extra flight time there

off topic here
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFighterFSF View Post
I am in Arkansas and use Futaba FASST. I understand there is not "the best" but you understand what I ment. Just looking for something that is a great place to start that has good video quality from the start.
Fair enough, I knew what you meant. But If I say red, someone will yell blue.

Your limited to about 1.5 miles, maybe. I would say 300mw 1.2 vTx with a inverted V antenna on the plane, and a Lawmate basic vRx with a 8db tuned patch antenna. Use a extra LCD tv to keep the start up cost down. Mount the vTx on the plane as far as you can get from the Futaba Rx. The RMRC-480 is a good camera, but the 540 is better.

You will need a vTx cable ($15) and Camera cable ($15). And get a couple of 1000mAh 3 cell LiPos from Hobbypartz.com for $8 each. You will need a 12v power supply for you vRx on the ground.

There...... RED!!!!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Alright so this is possibly the 10 millionth time this has been asked so I have my flame suit on and am prepared, but I am a tightarse and trying to do FPV on the cheap of cheaps..... Range is nice but I know its not going to happen on the cheap. Solid Video link and a 1km range is all im after.

Questions:
But what else do I need?
How do I connect the power to it all?
Goggles or TFT?

Plane: Mini Skywalker

Video Camera TX and RX: 900MHZ 800mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera PAL

Batteries: Multitude of 3S batteries inc 2800mah, 2200mah, 1700mah, 1300mah, 1000mah and 500mah. So I think the batteries are covered.

Now I need something to see it from.... So I dont know whether to go Goggles (cheapies from HK) or go for like a lil TFT screen from Ebay.

Next my biggest problem is electronics and hooking up power. I know I need power to run the base station and Video. I also know I need a seperate power supply for the Video Camera.

Now I am happy to be flamed and pointed to a dummies guide but please to treat me asif the only electronics level is that of "Dont stick the fork into the wall outlet"

Cheers
Will
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
The camera and vtx run 12V, so you can rig them to one battery, or plug them into your main battery (using the balance lead seems to reduce noise). I have this same setup, and have gone over 1km without any issues. The camera view is narrow, so turning can be a little scary if you are flying low.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Alright so this is possibly the 10 millionth time this has been asked so I have my flame suit on and am prepared
Capt Flame Suit: Use a TV out of your house and find a friend/family member with a genny. Cheap. Done.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
QiW
south east asia
Joined Mar 2009
956 Posts
Quote:
Alright so this is possibly the 10 millionth time this has been asked so I have my flame suit on and am prepared, but I am a tightarse and trying to do FPV on the cheap of cheaps..... Range is nice but I know its not going to happen on the cheap. Solid Video link and a 1km range is all im after.

Questions:
But what else do I need?
How do I connect the power to it all?
Goggles or TFT?

Plane: Mini Skywalker

Video Camera TX and RX: 900MHZ 800mW Tx/Rx & 1/3-inch CCD Camera PAL

Batteries: Multitude of 3S batteries inc 2800mah, 2200mah, 1700mah, 1300mah, 1000mah and 500mah. So I think the batteries are covered.

Now I need something to see it from.... So I dont know whether to go Goggles (cheapies from HK) or go for like a lil TFT screen from Ebay.

Next my biggest problem is electronics and hooking up power. I know I need power to run the base station and Video. I also know I need a seperate power supply for the Video Camera.

Now I am happy to be flamed and pointed to a dummies guide but please to treat me asif the only electronics level is that of "Dont stick the fork into the wall outlet"

Cheers
Will
u dont need the 800mW to go 1-2km .. i have done more than 2km on a HK 200mW ... just make a CL/SPW for the vtx/vrx

that video tx and rx and camera will hook up nicely direct to a 3S lipo so powering them is not an issue since u have loads of 3S
u can run off a single lipo on plane as long as u keep some separation between your video system and your plane power system ... just make an SS LC filter if u tap power off your main flight battery going into your video system and u should be good .. or u can run a separate small lipo

do not place your vtx near your rc rx .. separate as much as possible

goggles or open big screen is a matter of personal preference .. some like that and some like this ... u may find some difficulty in viewing a big screen in bright daylight conditions and may have to make some sort of shade for it
QiW is offline Find More Posts by QiW
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,763 Posts
Quote:

Cheers
Will
If you have an old DVD player a lot of them will also accept input, that's what
I started out on. I would recommend starting out on a screen. Goggles can get
very pricey and some people don't even like them after they get them.

You have plenty of batteries, powering a groundstation shouldn't be a big
issue for you. You can run a single battery for everything on the plane. Or
you can isolate your video setup from the planes. If you are fairly good at
soldering and know where to get cheap PCB parts you can do a single
battery setup with ease and you will be better for it. If not and you are
terrible at electrical engineering, then just run a double battery setup and
learn how to do it later on. You should try to buy a 12v camera and a 12v
video transmitter so that you can power them together without the need for
regulators as that tends to get messy. There's some really good ~$50
shipped CCD cameras out there that won't break the bank if you want to buy
a lower wattage VTx seperatley (I don't know how hot the 800mW 900mhz
gets, but my 800mW 1.3ghz required me to install a heatsink).

You're not gonna get flamed . Why would you? You are already better than
90% of the newbies that come to this forum and start their own thread for
every single issue they have. You are obviously smart enough to enter the
forum and find the correct thread to be asking these questions in. You're
already on your way to success.

What control frequency are you using also? Some will tell you that stock
2.4ghz is just fine and dandy but from my own personal experiences its a
disaster waiting to happen.

Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Last edited by Blueshy; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:11 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QiW View Post
u dont need the 800mW to go 1-2km .. i have done more than 2km on a HK 200mW ... just make a CL/SPW for the vtx/vrx

that video tx and rx and camera will hook up nicely direct to a 3S lipo so powering them is not an issue since u have loads of 3S
u can run off a single lipo on plane as long as u keep some separation between your video system and your plane power system ... just make an SS LC filter if u tap power off your main flight battery going into your video system and u should be good .. or u can run a separate small lipo

do not place your vtx near your rc rx .. separate as much as possible

goggles or open big screen is a matter of personal preference .. some like that and some like this ... u may find some difficulty in viewing a big screen in bright daylight conditions and may have to make some sort of shade for it
Thanks for the info, I thought 900mw would be what I need.... guess I can dial it down a fair bit.

I was looking at going a cheap TFT with a shade around it, the places I fly both of undercover areas which I can sit under too.

Stupid Question... whats a CL/SPW? Im guessing some sort of directional antenna?

I would like to run the video gear form the 3S 2800mahs the aircraft form the 2200/1700's and probably the Camera from the 500mah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
If you have an old DVD player a lot of them will also accept input, that's what
I started out on. I would recommend starting out on a screen. Goggles can get
very pricey and some people don't even like them after they get them.

You have plenty of batteries, powering a groundstation shouldn't be a big
issue for you. You can run a single battery for everything on the plane. Or
you can isolate your video setup from the planes. If you are fairly good at
soldering and know where to get cheap PCB parts you can do a single
battery setup with ease and you will be better for it. If not and you are
terrible at electrical engineering, then just run a double battery setup and
learn how to do it later on. You should try to buy a 12v camera and a 12v
video transmitter so that you can power them together without the need for
regulators as that tends to get messy. There's some really good ~$50
shipped CCD cameras out there that won't break the bank if you want to buy
a lower wattage VTx seperatley (I don't know how hot the 800mW 900mhz
gets, but my 800mW 1.3ghz required me to install a heatsink).

You're not gonna get flamed . Why would you? You are already better than
90% of the newbies that come to this forum and start their own thread for
every single issue they have. You are obviously smart enough to enter the
forum and find the correct thread to be asking these questions in. You're
already on your way to success.

What control frequency are you using also? Some will tell you that stock
2.4ghz is just fine and dandy but from my own personal experiences its a
disaster waiting to happen.

Blues
Thanks for the info Blues, but you never know with some people they seem to get all shirty when you ask stupid questions. Good to see most people in here have some level heads.

As far as your questions go..

Im ok with Soldering, can do your basic RC hobby stuff batteries/ESC/Motors etc.

I am running a Spectrum DS6i with a HK Orange RX's with satelites.

I would like to run 3 batteries as above 1 for ground station, 1 for plane and 1 for camera. 2800/2200/500.

Cheers

PS> Anyone know where to get cheap TFT Screens on ebay?
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:

Stupid Question... whats a CL/SPW? Im guessing some sort of directional antenna?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=397

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=503
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,503 Posts
Anybody have any good recommendations on DVD players to use? I got a Coby 9" DVD player off ebay that I was planning on using, but now that I test it with my FPV system I discover it black screens at the drop of a hat. There doesn't even have to be a bad signal--just rapidly moving the camera from pointing at a dark part of the room to a bright part triggers it. So now I'm bidding on a Sony 9" DVD player that we'll see if it does any better. Any idea if it will have the same problem?
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:01 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Anybody have any good recommendations on DVD players to use? I got a Coby 9" DVD player off ebay that I was planning on using, but now that I test it with my FPV system I discover it black screens at the drop of a hat. There doesn't even have to be a bad signal--just rapidly moving the camera from pointing at a dark part of the room to a bright part triggers it. So now I'm bidding on a Sony 9" DVD player that we'll see if it does any better. Any idea if it will have the same problem?
Range Video has some small LCD's that are suppose to show static.

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=258

<<edit>>

I watched the video, I guess they do go black. But its at the point where you can barely see anything.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:10 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,503 Posts
Hmm, well if I can't find a $20 as-is DVD player off ebay (the trick is to look for models that have AV inputs and are listed as not playing DVDs but having working screens) that works, I might try that, though I'd rather not pay $95 if I can help it. As it is, I now have several sitting around that I need to re-sell when I get around to it.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
I have a super quite 1000w gen (honda) and just use a 23" flat screen. I keep a pair of goggles plugged in just in case.