HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:44 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
I use 1.2 (1280) and I don't need an antenna tracker. I do use two receivers though. One with a 8db patch and the other with a whip antenna. Works great.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
Does anybody sell an all inclusive FPV system? What do I mean? I have a Fun Cub and I'd like to outfit it with a beginner FPV system without having to spend hours researching all sorts of products and assembling it all by myself. I understand you guys that enjoy this aspect of the hobby but I'm looking to give it a try with a minimal investment in time. Before anybody gets upset that I'm looking for a shortcut and that I'll be dangerous, all I want to do is fly it with a spotter, maybe even on a buddy box at my local club. I want to try it. If I like it then maybe I'll get more serious.

Thanks in Advance.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
ReadyMadeRC:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...lghkm9k9ek7ul1
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
X2 on ReadyMade
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,640 Posts
Thanks guys!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
I live in Greece, and from what I know 900MHz and 1800 Is for the Cellular network. Why 2.4GHz for my radio is a problem? I have Futaba 7C.
Why I cant use 5.8GHz and I have to choose 1.3GHz?
MoRaLeSD...

The general rule-of-thumb is, lower frequency transmitters have more "push" as it were...it is more likely one could hear a bass drum being struck 1 km away, than a snare drum at the same distance. They also penetrate tree foilage and "bend" slightly around other obstacles better. So, it would appear that 900 mHz is the better choice for video. As you can't use that frequency, then 1.2 gHz is the next best choice for video. Trouble is, you want to use 2.4 gHz for r/c control which is in the harmonics (multiple of a frequency...2 times/3 times, etc) of the 1.2 mHz range....and that equals interference. The next best then, is 2.4 mHz which, IMO, is very good for video. Trappy et al set one of the first distance records of over 40 km with a 500 mW 2.4 gHz video system. And, antennas make the greatest contribution to range.

However, there are a lot of contributing factors to equating range. It cannot be said that system "A" with antenna "B" will have the same range for everyone in any given circumstance....it is basically impossible to quantize. See this post from IBCrazy, one of the antenna gurus on RCGroups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=10

I am not sure how effective 5.8 mHz video is for long range transmission....haven't read much about it. I know 2.4 gHz is good for long range video so, that leaves you some choices to make:

1. 5.8 gHz video and 2.4 gHz r/c...stay within 1 - 1.5 km range (farthest I flew with 900 mhz video and 2.4 gHz r/c was 900 meters...didn't care to go further as it was doubtful about maintaining r/c control beyond that)

2. 5.8 gHz video and upgrade to UHF r/c...not sure about 5.8 gHz range

3. 2.4 gHz video and invest in a reasonable, used 72 mhz r/c system for present.....range probably 2-3 km. This can be upgraded to use the UHF long range system you hope to get later on.

You might also have a look at Trappy's FPV system setup philosophies for some ideas here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323951

So, I would still say that you might invest in a good video system 500 - 800 mW. This you will not need to upgrade later when going for distance. Once you move up to longer range, experiment with antennas...they are cheap and many can be made at home. They are the answer to good long range I think.

My system is:

Lawmate VTx 1000 mW with homemade IBCrazy 1/2 wave dipole antenna

2 X Lawmate VRx / Oracle diversity with 5 dbi omni and selectable 13 dbi yagi or 8 dbi patch (for long distance and medium distance)

Spektrum DX7 with Dragon Link UHF for r/c

I am comfortable flying at 3 km at this time and slowly working towards greater range. My present plane (FunCub) can't go much past that so I am building a fast, endurance wing and hope to get to 6-7 km by October this year.

I have a Spektrum DX8 which I keep exclusively for my helicopters and park fliers.

Hope you aren't getting too confused.....keep asking questions...

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Last edited by CuznWeakEyes; Aug 18, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
Okay, rather dumb question. Just got my FPV system from BevRC, and I'll be wiring it up over the next week or so. Now that I have it, I notice nothing has labels showing the polarity of the power hookups it needs. It's all 12V DC with standard barrel plugs, but the power receptacles on the VTX and VRX aren't labeled with polarity. Should I just use the standard of positive on the center pin and negative on the outer part? I'm also not sure how to tell which wire goes to which on the bare ended pigtail cables I got to solder battery connectors on. One wire is completely black, and the other has gray dashes on it. Which one of those goes to the center pin and which to the outer part? Hopefully there's a standard way to do this, as the last thing I want is to do this wrong so I immediately fry everything as soon as I plug it in.
Post pictures, they're worth 1,000 words after all...
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,558 Posts
This is the system I got:

I figured out that the female barrel plugs all are take power with positive in the center. The main thing I still have to figure out is on the little pigtail connector in the lower right side of that image. One end has a barrel plug and the other is just two bare wires, which I will be soldering a JST connector on to connect to my FPV battery. One of those wires is solid black and the other has a white stripe on it. I've read elsewhere the white stripe is usually positive, so I'm assuming that goes to the center pin, but I can't verify that because the cheapo multimeter I recently bought doesn't work.

Also, does anyone have tips for overcoming black screening on LCD screens? Someone on FPVLab mentioned that putting the cheap $13 Hobbyking OSD between the VRX and video screen would keep a constant video signal going to the screen and keep it from black screening. Can anyone verify this works?
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:09 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
I live in Greece, and from what I know 900MHz and 1800 Is for the Cellular network. Why 2.4GHz for my radio is a problem? I have Futaba 7C.
Why I cant use 5.8GHz and I have to choose 1.3GHz?
2.4ghz RC control systems are notorious for not working well with FPV. You
don't HAVE to do choose anything, go ahead and pick out what you want but
we're only trying to help save you time, money, and effort.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:

I figured out that the female barrel plugs all are take power with positive in the center. The main thing I still have to figure out is on the little pigtail connector in the lower right side of that image. One end has a barrel plug and the other is just two bare wires, which I will be soldering a JST connector on to connect to my FPV battery. One of those wires is solid black and the other has a white stripe on it. I've read elsewhere the white stripe is usually positive, so I'm assuming that goes to the center pin, but I can't verify that because the cheapo multimeter I recently bought doesn't work.

Also, does anyone have tips for overcoming black screening on LCD screens? Someone on FPVLab mentioned that putting the cheap $13 Hobbyking OSD between the VRX and video screen would keep a constant video signal going to the screen and keep it from black screening. Can anyone verify this works?
I just cut everything off past the end of the 4 wires that come out of the
VTx because everything after that is bulky and useless. Those 4 wires are:

1. White, audio
2. red, +
3. black, gnd
4. yellow, video

If you really want connectors for your VTx use some servo connectors.
There's been a lot of problems with those wiring harnesses of creating
ground loops and shorting things out, it's not worth it to screw around with
them. They weigh a lot, do nothing, and are incredibly bulky to try to stuff
into a fuselage.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:36 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
Exactly how heavy?

Can I ask if you know how heavy your aeroplane is including charged battery?

I have the same aeropane, (I bought one of those and a bixler from HK at the same time), and I have dragon osd, so if I weigh my plane, and a 1500 MaH lipo, then I can calculate the weight of your electronics, and see if I can get away with my 2 camera setup...

Cheers, Steve C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
The AXN with the load you describe will fly roughly between 30 to 70 kph. You will get 15-30 minutes of flight time depending on battery size and flying style.

My AXN is super heavy (DragonLink, Dragon OSD w/GPS, GoPro and a heavy 800mW 900Mhz transmitter). I'm not an agressive flyer, and I get 10-15 minutes of flight on a 1600mA battery.

You can see some of my flights here:
http://www.youtube.com/heliscanada
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
If you're using a 2.4 ghz radio
you are going to run into problems trying to FPV with it, especially spectrum.
People keep repeating that, but it's been debunked.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:43 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
I'm not sure about that at all. But I know about AIRSPEED.

Now although I have "all the gear and no idea" when it comes to FPV, I do have extensive electronic trade experience, I am both a pilot and aircraft engineer, so I think I know enough to ask the right questions and occasionally volunteer a bit of knowledge. Here's what little I think I know:

I've just been and checked out the HK site and that 13$ osd is not a "pass though" device, it appears to overlay onto an existing video signal by brute force, and the manual warns against using it in any different application so It may well not do what you wish.

This "black/blue screening" I keep reading about, is a modern phenomenon and resides in the display unit usually, not the receiver, although both can do it.

Now the TFT I intend to use has the option of turning OFF the blue screen, buried deep in its menu-ing system so when my Video link starts to get flaky and lose synch, I will get a rubbish picture, ( which I may be able to use at least to point the aeroplane back towards me), rather than that blue screen. However, if I didn't have that I'd have to use either a different display or a video converter box, which would maintain the sych, even when the input from the receiver goes flaky.

And BTW, since no-one has menioned it as far as I can see, when it comes to landing your plane, you'd do well to be able to look sideways and down with your fpv during the landing phase.

The easiest way of landing a manned plane is to fly parallel to your intended landing strip, fairly high and sort out the mental transition from fast cruising to the slower pace of landing then turn 180 degrees, once you are quite a bit past your intended touch down point, (here's where an indication of "airspeed" is really useful, because turning costs airspeed, and what most of you don't know, is that your stall speed gets higher in turns) so you end up lined up with where you want to land flying at a sensible speed.

Then it's much easier to let your aeroplane slide down the invisible track using your elevator to control your airspeed, and your throttle to control your height. Although that's counter intuitive, it works in the real world.

SO WE ALL NEED AIRSPEED indicators, because even if you can get every landing nailed in nil wind conditions, without an ASI you can't know what the air your plane is flying through is doing.

I do hope this is useful to someone. I think I'll go and do a bit more work on my personal FPV machine now.

Cheers, Steve C.

Quote:

swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Aug 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
People keep repeating that, but it's been debunked.
Allow me to amend what I said...

If you're using a stock 2.4 ghz radio you are going to run into problems trying to FPV with it, especially spectrum.

Fixed.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:35 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat View Post
Can I ask if you know how heavy your aeroplane is including charged battery?
Sorry, I don't have a scale that can weigh it properly.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks