SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuznWeakEyes View Post

My best advice is to start with the basic video system, some good antennas (such as IBCrazy suggested) and get this running so you can be almost 100% reliant on it's ability to function. I think that the system that IBC mentioned will very likely outperform your R/C system for range.....and, without the hassle of a diversity system.

Also, in your list, you didn't mention how you will be viewing the video from the plane....?goggles/small monitor/large monitor.....remember, these are additional systems that present their own idiosyncrasies that will confront you. And, are you planning to have a recorder for the video from the plane? That is, IMO, one of the most important features.....it has helped me twice to locate a plane that went down out of sight.

This is a hobby that requires baby steps...leave the giant leaps for when you are very familiar with the equipment and your own abilities....knowing what add-on equipment to buy and when and where to install it will come with experience. It is hard to deal with a plane load of equipment that may or not be compatible....

So, get your basic system (combos are good), a decent plane (I like EasyStar) and start accumulating time "under the hood"....and above all, have a lot of fun!!

Cuzn
Hello and thank you for your reply. What I want to do is to keep me from buying again and again new equipment.
I want to buy the Best common Video TX like the ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter - Fatshark compatible from hobbywireless.com
or the 800mw 5,8 GHz Video TX 32 Channels - Fatshark comp from fpvsystems.com .
Since I am not so familiar with the Range of these equipment this is why I choose all these stuff like the antenna trackers
,diversity patch antennas etc. I believe that after some flying I will probably buy an other Radio Tx-Rx for my plane to get more distance
and for this I will already be able to do so because of the good staff that I will order. The way I will see the video feed from the plane will be goggles.
For now I will stay in 1 Video Rx and the antennas from IBC and then I will see.

Now about the OSD system. I was looking the ImmersionRc EzOSD. But with no big difference in money the DRAGON OSD have Return Home
so I will choose this if you agree too.

So new gear will be these. Please tell me if I am ok so I can proceed:

Video TX:
800mw 5,8 Ghz Video TX 32 Channels - Fatshark comp

Video RX:
R5800 5.8 GHz Pocket Size High Sensitivity Receiver

CAMERA:
690TVL HD Ultra WDR

OSD:
DRAGON OSD GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMBO

ANTENNAS:
Cloverleaf Circular Polarized Antenna (5.8 gHz) For the Video TX
Skew-planar wheel (5.8 gHz) For the Video RX

TRIPOD:
Tripod for FPV Ground Station 53-Inches

VIDEO GOGGLES:
HeadPlay 800 x 600 FPV goggles

AIRPLANE:
Multiplex EasyStar

VIDEO RECORDER:
FoxTech Mini DVR Recorder

VIDEO SPLITTER/AMPLIFIER:
Video Amplifier/Buffer with 4 adjustable video outputs

Pan Tilt Mount for EZ*
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=11
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Last edited by MoRaLeSD; Aug 29, 2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Camera Change, Recorder Added (Cuzn) - Video Splitter, EZ* Pan/Tilt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
Hello and thank you for your reply. What I want to do is to keep me from buying again and again new equipment.
I want to buy the Best common Video TX like the ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter -

<snip>
Yeah but what's going to happen with your first flight is you're going to lose your plane because you'll have good video and no idea that you're losing your RC signal. And you'll be 2 miles out when it happens and you'll probably never find the plane. You're getting good advice here - work up this stuff slowly and figure out how it works. You won't have to buy things twice, except the stuff you need multiples of anyway.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
[QUOTE=MoRaLeSD;19060686]Now about the OSD system. I was looking the ImmersionRc EzOSD. But with no big difference in money the DRAGON OSD have Return Home
QUOTE]

For the Return To Home to work with the DragonOSD, you need a receiver that has a PPM out, like the DragonLink system. Not many receivers have a PPM out. You can still use the DragonOSD without it, but the autopilot and return to home will not work.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:37 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah but what's going to happen with your first flight is you're going to lose your plane because you'll have good video and no idea that you're losing your RC signal. And you'll be 2 miles out when it happens and you'll probably never find the plane. You're getting good advice here - work up this stuff slowly and figure out how it works. You won't have to buy things twice, except the stuff you need multiples of anyway.
Yes indeed I might lose the plane because of my Radio system. My current radio it suppose to get 1.5Km range. So I have to be careful in this and not
get over 1Km to be safe. I will Probably go for a DragonLink after the first flights. My way of flying is more in the altitude than the away distance
from my position. Do you know if my Radio system Futaba 7C is capable of taking it or I need a transmitter that is able of taking external modules?
I saw this tutorial for making my Radio be able of using external module using the PPM signal and bat-gnd.

http://www.rcexplorer.se/page14/assan/assan.html

I wonder if I can do the same thing with the DragonLink.
Last edited by MoRaLeSD; Aug 16, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
I want to buy the Best common Video TX like the ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter - Fatshark compatible from hobbywireless.com
or the 800mw 5,8 GHz Video TX 32 Channels - Fatshark comp from fpvsystems.com .
Since I am not so familiar with the Range of these equipment this is why I choose all these stuff like the antenna trackers
,diversity patch antennas etc. I believe that after some flying I will probably buy an other Radio Tx-Rx for my plane to get more distance
and for this I will already be able to do so because of the good staff that I will order. The way I will see the video feed from the plane will be goggles.
For now I will stay in 1 Video Rx and the antennas from IBC and then I will see.

Now about the OSD system. I was looking the ImmersionRc EzOSD. But with no big difference in money the DRAGON OSD have Return Home

[snip]
The price for all these except the Plane and it's electronics is about:
655USD. In this Price I didn't add the batteries of the Video TX-Camera-Ground Station, The Video Recorder and the Plane with it's components.

So far, good looking equipment. I think you can't go wrong with Immersion. In the vein of keeping it simple, I suggest you also hold off on buying an OSD at this stage. When you are ready for it, I think the EzOSD may be be logical choice. It doesn't have AutoPilot or ReturnToHome yet (AFAIK) but I think development is happening.... maybe check with Sander Sassen of ImmersionRC. I have the DragonOSD and, while the basic setup (Battery info and GPS) is straightforward (not quite plug 'n play) to initiate the AP and RTH is rather daunting.....the manual is 112 pages. And, as Tracks mentioned, for advanced features, a PPM out signal is required from your R/C Rx. Can't recall what your R/C sytem is....check the DragonLabs site for more information (http://www.dragonlabs.net/). This technology is good if one is going long distances IMO. For local flying (what you will be doing for the first while) just a recorder will be good. I use the Foxtech Mini DVR for recording and it works quite well. There are other options also. There is a thread here on RCGroups about the available DVR's.

As for everything else, perhaps you might be interested in a slightly higher resolution and less expensive camera....Again, I use this one:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

...I have 2 actually...nice deep colour in the picture and easy set up with a remote (wired) OSD control.Another one to consider are Pixim cameras....probably considered the top line kit to have and come in a number of "flavours" also:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....6mm-lens.html

How is your basic electronics knowledge and soldering skills? Doing all the connecting of components requires some thought and skills. One of the most common things is removing the heavy BNC and power connectors from the camera. I think the Immersion VTx comes with pigtails with only the connector for the Tx attached and bare wires at the other end. You will need to install some kind of connectors here and for other parts you may want, such as microphone.

So, good start MoRaLeSD...

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:56 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
Could the 5.8 ghz cloverleaf or skew-planar be used for both overhead and distance use on the transmitter?
is a patch antenna ok for the receiver at short to moderate (300 yds) distances?
thanks,
Bart
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Old Aug 16, 2011, 08:37 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuznWeakEyes View Post
So far, good looking equipment. I think you can't go wrong with Immersion. In the vein of keeping it simple, I suggest you also hold off on buying an OSD at this stage. When you are ready for it, I think the EzOSD may be be logical choice. It doesn't have AutoPilot or ReturnToHome yet (AFAIK) but I think development is happening.... maybe check with Sander Sassen of ImmersionRC. I have the DragonOSD and, while the basic setup (Battery info and GPS) is straightforward (not quite plug 'n play) to initiate the AP and RTH is rather daunting.....the manual is 112 pages. And, as Tracks mentioned, for advanced features, a PPM out signal is required from your R/C Rx. Can't recall what your R/C sytem is....check the DragonLabs site for more information (http://www.dragonlabs.net/). This technology is good if one is going long distances IMO. For local flying (what you will be doing for the first while) just a recorder will be good. I use the Foxtech Mini DVR for recording and it works quite well. There are other options also. There is a thread here on RCGroups about the available DVR's.

As for everything else, perhaps you might be interested in a slightly higher resolution and less expensive camera....Again, I use this one:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

...I have 2 actually...nice deep colour in the picture and easy set up with a remote (wired) OSD control.Another one to consider are Pixim cameras....probably considered the top line kit to have and come in a number of "flavours" also:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr....6mm-lens.html

How is your basic electronics knowledge and soldering skills? Doing all the connecting of components requires some thought and skills. One of the most common things is removing the heavy BNC and power connectors from the camera. I think the Immersion VTx comes with pigtails with only the connector for the Tx attached and bare wires at the other end. You will need to install some kind of connectors here and for other parts you may want, such as microphone.

So, good start MoRaLeSD...

Cuzn
Hello Cuzn, thanks for replying. About hardware connections I have no problem at all. I've done a lot of soldering all these years just
because I like electronics too much for an amateur so i have no problem at all at this. My Radio has PPM out so in the future will be
no problem to get the DragonLink. Now about the OSD, I will probably get lost in the air even if I know the space that I am flying,
and my most worries is to know my distance to avoid signal lost of my radio. I rather take the DragonOsd and spend a lot of time
reading the manual than to regret and take something just because i might get bored of learning it. Because I know my self I will
not stay at short and close flying after a while so my choice will definitely be the DragonOsd (i will pm you be sure of that hahahaha)
and after the DragonLink. The camera you suggested (2nd one) is cool and this is what I will buy.

Sorry if my English suck a bit
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:03 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Hello.
I am looking at getting into FPV flying my self and an starting on the daunting task of researching gear. In particular I'm interested in the "Dinodirect 1.2GHz vtx and vrx" available in this thread for $50 and I'd like to hear any opinion you guys may have as there seems to be very little discussion in the actual thread it's self.

In particular I'm curious as to your thoughts about the 1.5w and frequency consideration. Currently I fly a Radian with a DX6i. I'm aware that 1.2 and 2.4 systems don't play nicely together but given I expect to upgrade my transmitter (and plane and everything else) at some stage anyhow I'm considering throwing a 50 to the wind and seeing how it sails. So while I'm not too concerned about not getting the most out of it I do of cause still want it to at least work over a few 100m.

Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are about the deal, not just for my purpose but just generally in terms of the device its self. In particular the main concern that I have is the 1.5w. Most expert testimony seems to place the sweet spot of power somewhere between 500mw and 800mw, so with at 1500mw system I'm concerned about noise/interference, battery drain and thermal radiation.

Thanks.
S.Bartfast is offline Find More Posts by S.Bartfast
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:47 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Bartfast View Post
Hello.
I am looking at getting into FPV flying my self and an starting on the daunting task of researching gear. In particular I'm interested in the "Dinodirect 1.2GHz vtx and vrx" available in this thread for $50 and I'd like to hear any opinion you guys may have as there seems to be very little discussion in the actual thread it's self.

In particular I'm curious as to your thoughts about the 1.5w and frequency consideration. Currently I fly a Radian with a DX6i. I'm aware that 1.2 and 2.4 systems don't play nicely together but given I expect to upgrade my transmitter (and plane and everything else) at some stage anyhow I'm considering throwing a 50 to the wind and seeing how it sails. So while I'm not too concerned about not getting the most out of it I do of cause still want it to at least work over a few 100m.

Anyway, just wondering what your thoughts are about the deal, not just for my purpose but just generally in terms of the device its self. In particular the main concern that I have is the 1.5w. Most expert testimony seems to place the sweet spot of power somewhere between 500mw and 800mw, so with at 1500mw system I'm concerned about noise/interference, battery drain and thermal radiation.

Thanks.
radian is a great way to start in fpv
IMHO treat the dx6 with caution, dont try to stretch the limits of spektrum- it seldom ends nicely
5.8/200mw plays well with 2.4 rc, and with standard 5.8 omni antennae would probably be a fairly matched system with spektrum
5.8 vid is a legal frequency in the land down under, but less power output
start with 5.8, learn to fly fpv with it, wire up the gear, simplicity!

but... 1500mw at 1.2ghz.... a lot of power, and a LOT of experience to know component placement on the plane
500mw at 900mhz/1.2ghz certainly is a sweet spot

i've sent you a priv message with links n such

regardless, welcome to the frustrations yet very rewarding world of fpv

cheers
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,986 Posts
I would not recommend 1.5watts... Ever. Way too much power.
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:57 AM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
437 Posts
disregard
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Last edited by barchiola; Aug 17, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Anyone knows the range of the 5.8GHz TXs with the Cloverleaf / Skew-planar wheel Antennas depending on mW?
Or is there any way to calculate it? My Radio is on 2.4GHz and I will fly in the mountains (no obstacles between TX and RX),
I am just mention it so you can understand my field of flying. I want to buy my first one and I am confused. I don't
want to buy something and change it after 1 week just because I would like more range. Changing hardware all the time sucks a bit...

This is a list of some Video TXs I found looking around in some FPV stores. Which one is worth of taking? My choice so far is the
800mW from fpvsystems.com

25mW nghobbies.com__________70 USD
100mW hobbywireless.com______40 USD
200mW hobbywireless.com______55 USD
500mW hobbywireless.com______130 USD
600mW hobbywireless.com______70 USD
800mW fpvsystems.com________101 USD

After the Skew-planar wheel Antenna at my RX I will buy from http://videoaerialsystems.com/ that our Forum Mate owns the
10 Turn Helikal Antenna that will increase the Range to maximum, but before that I want to know the basic range with the pre-said
antennas or even and with the Helikal's if you can.

After the first flights and when I'll be more experienced in FPV I will change my Radio to a DragonLink to make long distance flights,
so Radio Is not an issue.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:27 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Yes indeed I might lose the plane because of my Radio system. My current radio it suppose to get 1.5Km range. So I have to be careful in this and not
get over 1Km to be safe.
You don't actually know that. What myself and others are saying is you can't depend on specifications, you need to learn the art of FPV flying. You are not going to learn that this way.

Start with a very simple system - medium or low power video TX, cheapo omni RX on the ground, some kind of recording system, and cheap disposable planes made of foam. Hook that up to whatever viewing system you want to use. Then get a buddy to be a spotter and take-off/landing pilot, and you wear the glasses while he flies around, letting you take the controls for brief periods while you orient yourself to the idea of FPV flight. You may not be ready to take the controls on the first flight - I wasn't comfortable with my airplane the first time up, and needed to make adjustments before I felt confident to fly it by FPV.

There is no reason to jump into the deep end and sink. Try wading out in the kiddie pool first and learn what water is.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:48 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You don't actually know that. What myself and others are saying is you can't depend on specifications, you need to learn the art of FPV flying. You are not going to learn that this way.

Start with a very simple system - medium or low power video TX, cheapo omni RX on the ground, some kind of recording system, and cheap disposable planes made of foam. Hook that up to whatever viewing system you want to use. Then get a buddy to be a spotter and take-off/landing pilot, and you wear the glasses while he flies around, letting you take the controls for brief periods while you orient yourself to the idea of FPV flight. You may not be ready to take the controls on the first flight - I wasn't comfortable with my airplane the first time up, and needed to make adjustments before I felt confident to fly it by FPV.

There is no reason to jump into the deep end and sink. Try wading out in the kiddie pool first and learn what water is.
This is the best way of learning the art of FPV. I have a friend that he is an RC Plane pilot too, so we will make our Futabas
teacher/student with the cable if you know what I mean and I will let him pilot the plane with his eyes like a normal Plane.
I can wear my Goggles and make some maneuvers around, so if i make mistakes he will be able of correcting them and
not breaking the plane every time. Fantastic idea thank you mate!!! But again, I don't want to buy cheap gear for the FPV
and then buy a better and then better etc. I will take one of the best and I will keep learning on these. i say this because the
price between the Video TXs is not that different. The 200mW is on 55USD and the 800mW is on 100USD, so why to give money 2 times?
Please take a look at my post above and tell me if you know what is the distances with each TX!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
The 200mW is on 55USD and the 800mW is on 100USD, so why to give money 2 times?
Please take a look at my post above and tell me if you know what is the distances with each TX!
It's not like that... you're going to buy multiple setups over the course of many years - think of it that way. That's a given - there isn't any way around it unless you plan to fly one plane until it quits and then leave the hobby. You are eventually going to buy more than one.

The second thing that people are trying to impress is that "bigger isn't better" when it comes to the specifications you're reading. Some good examples have been given, such as "your video TX is so loud that the RC receiver can't hear anything" - more power is NOT better.

There are some known setups - like the EasyStar setup someone listed all the parts you need. For these, there is still some art to it - it can be tricky to position everything in such a way that all the electronics cooperate AND the plane remains flyable in terms of balance, total weight, and power. Then you put other equipment on top of that such as OSD and other instruments, antenna trackers, dual transmitters, and everything you add doubles the difficulty of getting your setup straight.

That's why we're suggesting starting with something simple - because there are so many variables you can't possibly get them all correct at once, particularly when you're a beginner and you don't know all the little tricks. Even the simplest FPV setup has too many variables for the average beginner, which is why we also generally think you want to be a decent RC pilot and know your equipment before you add on the additional variables of FPV.

My setup is very simple - a Super Cub with brushless motor upgrade (letting me run a smaller/lighter battery and still get good flight times). I used the R921 receiver, giving me the satellite which I mounted out on the wing away from everything else - away from all the interference of the video system (and it gives me 6 extra channels for future expansion). I'm using the HobbyKing "Sony CCD" camera, mounted very simply on the front of the plane. Then I used the Sunsky 800mW video transmitter - but I had to stick it in the back to prevent it from reducing my RC range test - this caused a balance problem, making the plane tail-heavy. SO, I had to push everything else up to the front as far as possible, and use a bigger battery than I planned, along with the separate battery for the video. All of that makes the plane heavier, so now I have to fly kinda fast for a Super Cub.

On the ground I simply have the Sunsky RX with stock antenna and Fat Shark googles with a Sony DVR recorder, all powered from two 3S lipos. This system works pretty well, but it's not perfect, and probably not "long range" capable. I had a little bit of trouble getting it all to work right, and it's a wicked simple setup - and I'm an expert with RC airplanes.

This is what I get from it - looks a bit better live in the goggles.
My First FPV (6 min 12 sec)

Would you want to fly miles away with that? I wouldn't.