Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:34 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRaLeSD View Post
Hello everyone and thank you for this wonderful FPV Guild.
The AXN with the load you describe will fly roughly between 30 to 70 kph. You will get 15-30 minutes of flight time depending on battery size and flying style.

My AXN is super heavy (DragonLink, Dragon OSD w/GPS, GoPro and a heavy 800mW 900Mhz transmitter). I'm not an agressive flyer, and I get 10-15 minutes of flight on a 1600mA battery.

You can see some of my flights here:
http://www.youtube.com/heliscanada
Tracks is offline Find More Posts by Tracks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone and thank you for this wonderful FPV Guild. I am new in FPV and I am about to start making
my own plane for FPV flights. I have no experience in FPV because I have no friends that do this but I am
experienced in Rc planes. So after A LOT of research in the internet and viewing countless videos on
youtube from other FPV Pilots I gathered some equipment and will order if someone can tell me if these are ok.

My Transmitter for the plane is 2.4GHz and I can only use 5.8GHz Video TX because 900MHz and 1.2MHz is
taken from the Cell phone use. The gear I am going to use are these:

Radio TX:
Futaba 7C 2.4GHz

Video TX:
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter

Video TX Cooler:
Very High Efficency Heat Sink for Transmitters

Receiver:
x2 R5800 5.8 GHz Pocket Size High Sensitivity Receiver

OSD:
EzOSD GPS Navigation System with current sensor

Antenna:
AN5811 HIGH GAIN PATCH ANTENNA 5.8 Ghz 11dBi
Hobbywireless have 2 Antennas for 5.8GHz. a 8dBi and a 11dBi. 11dBi is better?

Second Antenna for the second receiver:
AN5805 - HIGH GAIN WHIP ANTENNA 5.8GHz 5dBi

Camera:
SN555 very high resolution Color Camera 550 Lines PAL SONY

Diversity Controller:
ORACLE - Diversity Controller

Tripod:
Tripod for FPV Ground Station 53-Inches

Pan-Tilt:
Micro-light Pan & Tilt camera mount

Head Tracker:
HobbyKing X-1000 Advanced Head-Movement-Tracker Gyro

Antenna Tracker:
EZtracker Antenna Tracker

Antenna Tracking System:
Antenna Pan/Tilt for ImmersionRC EZ Antenna Tracker

Airplane:
AXN Floater Plane from HobbyKing.

I believe that I post what it takes from what I can understand for FPV. Is the plane ok?
Because I don't want to get bored from the firsts flights just because the plane is slow and can't be
little bit faster. I will change the stock electronics and add the bigger battery I can.
Please tell me what other things I'll might need to complete the gear and start building it!! Thanks a lot in advance!!!
Wow, that is big list for starting out. I would recommend making a few flights close by without trackers, osd's and other complications. Go simple and then add on as you progress. Many, including myself are using circular polarized antennas without diversity setups for 5.8ghz with good results. Maybe you can add the diversity controller and a second Rx and patch later on when you want to fly farther out.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Wow, that is big list for starting out. I would recommend making a few flights close by without trackers, osd's and other complications. Go simple and then add on as you progress. Many, including myself are using circular polarized antennas without diversity setups for 5.8ghz with good results. Maybe you can add the diversity controller and a second Rx and patch later on when you want to fly farther out.
You are right about the tracking antenna but I want to get the best signal I can get.The antenna you suggest I dont know what it is hehe.Can you make me a list with the items you said?eventually I will take all the stuff from this list,why not take all now?give some list with the components that you suggest and I will see!thanks a lot for your answer!
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
The AXN with the load you describe will fly roughly between 30 to 70 kph. You will get 15-30 minutes of flight time depending on battery size and flying style.

My AXN is super heavy (DragonLink, Dragon OSD w/GPS, GoPro and a heavy 800mW 900Mhz transmitter). I'm not an agressive flyer, and I get 10-15 minutes of flight on a 1600mA battery.

You can see some of my flights here:
http://www.youtube.com/heliscanada
Yes i will see your videos when i get home. now that you allready have this plane would you change it for an Multiplex EasyStar? I am asking because propably i will choose between these two.Thanks for your answer!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:01 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,343 Posts
If you want the best signal for 5.8GHz you need circular polarization. A cloverleaf/skew wheel combination or two virevent antennas will do more for you than your antenna tracker. If you want more range, buy a 5 turn helical. How-to's on these antennae are in my blog. Pre-built systems are available from www.videoaerialsystems.com or www.truerc.net

Also, forget the head tracker. Leave that for later on.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by IBCrazy; Aug 24, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Quote:
now that you allready have this plane would you change it for an Multiplex EasyStar?
For the type of flying I do (medium altitude, medium distance cruising) I would move straight into the Skywalker for EPP FPV from Hobby King. With the amount of equipment I have packed into the plane, I'm getting a fair amount of electromagnetic interference. Plus, these bigger planes can handle more weight and stay in the air longer (I'm looking for 20-30 min flights)

I'm also looking at getting a Ritewing Zephyr for some fast and low flying. Though the Zephyr is definitely not a starter FPV platform.

If AXN or EZ* are the only two options, I don't really see much of a difference.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:33 PM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
If you want the best signal for 5.8GHz you need circular polarization. A cloverleaf/skew wheel combination or two virevent antennas will do more for you than your antenna tracker. If you want more range, buy a 5 turn helical. How-to's on these antennae are in my blog. Pre-built systems are available from www.videoaerialsystems.com or www.truerc.com

Also, forget the head tracker. Leave that for later on.

-Alex
I saw the antennas at the first link and i ll propably buy those. In this small size do so much job and with no tracker?
I will still use the diversity controller and i wll put the cloverleaf or skrew wheel and the 9.5dbi helix antennas to each receiver? The 5 turns I saw is for 2.4 and not for 5.8 is this true? Shall i take for the TX too?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 06:23 PM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
I saw the antennas at the first link and i ll propably buy those. In this small size do so much job and with no tracker?
I will still use the diversity controller and i wll put the cloverleaf or skrew wheel and the 9.5dbi helix antennas to each receiver? The 5 turns I saw is for 2.4 and not for 5.8 is this true? Shall i take for the TX too?
Welcome to the FPV world....!

As you stated, you are unfamiliar with FPV but experienced with R/C flying and that leaves you only having to deal with the many strange behaviours that the FPV system will surely present.....and, there can be a lot of strange happenings that can occur with just the basic video system itself. Look in the RCG forum for thread titles such as "I get no range", etc.

My best advice is to start with the basic video system, some good antennas (such as IBCrazy suggested) and get this running so you can be almost 100% reliant on it's ability to function. I think that the system that IBC mentioned will very likely outperform your R/C system for range.....and, without the hassle of a diversity system.

Also, in your list, you didn't mention how you will be viewing the video from the plane....?goggles/small monitor/large monitor.....remember, these are additional systems that present their own idiosyncrasies that will confront you. And, are you planning to have a recorder for the video from the plane? That is, IMO, one of the most important features.....it has helped me twice to locate a plane that went down out of sight.

This is a hobby that requires baby steps...leave the giant leaps for when you are very familiar with the equipment and your own abilities....knowing what add-on equipment to buy and when and where to install it will come with experience. It is hard to deal with a plane load of equipment that may or not be compatible....

So, get your basic system (combos are good), a decent plane (I like EasyStar) and start accumulating time "under the hood"....and above all, have a lot of fun!!

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
I wont be able to take the test for the HAM license for another 40days that why I want to know about the FCC.
thanks
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
It's definitely worth getting the HAM license. I couldn't imagine going back to flying within LOS.

Cloudy Day - Flown With Dragon Link (3 min 15 sec)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
470 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm researching getting my first FPV setup and want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. For starters I just want a basic setup that I can upgrade as I go along. Since I just want to start out flying less that 1/2 mile I think I'll be good using my existing DX8 tx and the BEVRC 900MHz 400mW or maybe the readymaderc 900MHz starter package. Will this be the best way to start?
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:00 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Don't expect the DX8 to go beyond about 2000ft. It has a less powerful radio then the dx7.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
Don't expect the DX8 to go beyond about 2000ft. It has a less powerful radio then the dx7.
Well that stinks. I also have a DX6i laying around if that's any better.
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
If I couldn't use 433mhz, 72 would be my next choice. 2-4 miles depending on obstructions and terrain. Plus you can fly with your antenna at a 45deg angle and put it straight up at the first sign of glitching to turn around. Not the best solution, but better than 2.4 IMO.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 16, 2011, 06:44 AM
Team Basement-RC
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2011
1,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
Well that stinks. I also have a DX6i laying around if that's any better.
Start with the DX8 and if you get immediately addicted like the rest of us, invest in a DragonLink(and ham license). Easily connects to the DX8.