SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:35 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat View Post
Thanks for the help there yabba.

I wouldn't have any objection at all to having it pointed out that I'm off topic, however: Given that the thread is entitled "How to be successful in FPV - A guide for newcomers (Newbies post questions here)", and I am definitely a newbie (at least as far as FPV is concerned) with a fair few questions, I thought this would be the place to ask them..

My confusion aside, I really do appreciate the links, I'll certainly go look at them and see what I can learn.
That was my point, you are NOT OT. Not on this thread

I just thought that you may get more help over there. Heck, I don't even know which end goes up, just wanted to point you over to the EZ* thread in case you didn't know about it.

Yabber
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:03 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
I did my very first FPV ground test today! And got about 30 feet before the video quit on me... I'm on 1280 MHz with a 400 mW transmitter with stock rubber duckie antennas on both ends. This test was done among houses, though still line-of-sight. This doesn't strike me as a good preliminary test. I didn't think the stock antennas would be that bad! Can I expect better performance in a field?
Before breaking/losing both of my cameras today, I was able to do another test, this time, in the field. I only got about 100 yards away in the air before I lost it. Definitely not enough to even think about FPV. I can post the video if it helps. I'm kind of discouraged now, partly because of my cameras, and partly because of lackluster performance. I guess I have a lot to learn...
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:38 PM
Clueless, but trying
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Nov 2001
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
Before breaking/losing both of my cameras today, I was able to do another test, this time, in the field. I only got about 100 yards away in the air before I lost it. Definitely not enough to even think about FPV. I can post the video if it helps. I'm kind of discouraged now, partly because of my cameras, and partly because of lackluster performance. I guess I have a lot to learn...
Can you post some pictures of your setup? That may go a long way in helping troubleshoot your issues.
Orcoz is offline Find More Posts by Orcoz
Old Aug 11, 2011, 09:49 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,393 Posts
How long can I run my 12v power lines?

I'm working on a ground station backpack that will hold a main lipo which will supply a 12v regulator and from the regulator at just under 12v split into the following power lines for my various gear:

A) 1 1/2' - To my EE box

B) 3 1/2' - Haier 7" power

C) 5' - VRx (Omni on antenna boom)

D) 6' - VRx (Patch)

If they are all coming from the same deans connector supplied from the 12v regulator are these lengths too long for the power to be sustained or could this cause problems to my gear having a mix of lengths from the same supply?

I know you don't want long runs from the battery to the ESCs but I'm not sure if in a lower wattage application like this it's fine. Please advise. Thanks - Dave

PS: I'd like to us one battery and understand I could use another battery... and will if that's the only way to do this safely.
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:03 PM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcoz View Post
Can you post some pictures of your setup? That may go a long way in helping troubleshoot your issues.
I didn't take any photos. But it looked about like this photo (TwinStar). The camera was much lower and a little more forward. The transmitter was in the box at the far aft of the mount. Battery was in the nose underneath the mount. Those are all the parts I had.

Base station: netbook with easycap. Receiver was about 6 feet away from netbook.

Last edited by TexasAggie; Aug 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 03:45 AM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
Although a newb as far as FPV is concerned, I have wasted much of my life as an electronics / radio engineer, so I'll offer my thoughts if it helps. Much of the Chinese RF stuff I have come across seems to be a bit variable in it's performance.

Although I was set on a course, of putting it together and seeing how well it works like you did, I now think (after reading your post) I'm going to first range test my video camera/transmitter outside of the aircraft. I'll do this using an accomplice at the base station end and a mobile phone to talk to him.

That should give me an indication of how far my basic setup works, and then when it's installed in the aircraft I can do the same test again, and that will tell me how well the installation is working.

Finally, if all is going well I will power up the aircraft, and perform a third test, this time holding onto the aircraft, whilst my accomplice operates the transmitter, and see if (alright, how much!) the range is reduced due to interference from the electronics in the aeroplane.

Needless to say, during the testing I can also investigate how well the video link works when one changes the relative angle of the aircraft to the base station.

I should be able to get all that done in two sessions, the basic test I can do in the forst session, then when I've finished my installation I can do the other two tests. None of this sits well with my natural impatience, of course, but I suspect that's what needs to be done...
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Well, my search as come up with nothing so I'll see if I can get some help here. I have the following equipment being setup for an RC buggy ground system:

Camera
vTx

Various displays and cables have been used to test this new camera. The vTx comes with a nice harness that supplies 12v (three wire) to a camera. Using the supplied camera cable from SC2000 with a BNC to RCA adapter and a 12v wall wart power supply plugged into an old CRT tv shows a nice color picture. This also works going into my old Sony miniDV camcorder. But going into the dvd player and the Range Video tx/rx system I get a b/w picture.

What I wanted to do was make a light weight cable based on this cable so I could use a male servo plug on one end to mate with the Range Video harness. But I get a b/w picture. Is this an impedance mismatch issue causing the b/w picture? If so, what can I do to the cable I made to make it work?
have you figured out the problem?
beast DJ is offline Find More Posts by beast DJ
Old Aug 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast DJ View Post
have you figured out the problem?
Yes, I did. I'm successfully using the camera on my new RC Buggy rig. It has a nice picture and does well in different lighting conditions. It turns out it was a cabling issue. Just had some cables with the wrong impedance or something.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
Hi guys I have a question if I get a UHF TX would the FCC find out about that?
I dont want to get fine for just having some fun doing what I love (flying r/c planes)
I plan on flying only at the coast/beach no airport or buildings around.
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
Hi guys I have a question if I get a UHF TX would the FCC find out about that?
I dont want to get fine for just having some fun doing what I love (flying r/c planes)
I plan on flying only at the coast/beach no airport or buildings around.
I assume you mean operate on UHF without a ham radio license?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2001
145 Posts
yes without the technician one at least
cloudbuster is offline Find More Posts by cloudbuster
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Gig 'Em!
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
Easiest solution: just get the tech license. It costs $15 and a few hours studying the question pool. You get a lot more legal freedom and peace of mind. Check around the FPV section for more reasons to do it and how to find study information. Here's a thread to get you going:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384449.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Guys I have a twinstar, both motors bec's are connected to the receiver with a Y cable (it works),.... for instance if one bec stops to work a motor would stop to work but will I loose also servo control, or will the one working bec be enough for the servos to still work... I know I would be in a spiral because of just one motor working but if I would be high I could save it if the servos would work...
So do I have redundany in this case? If I would connect another ubec to the receiver (+ the 2 becs that are already on the receiver) I would burn it right?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
^(_MăĻēŜĐ_)^ ЯuĽe U
Greece, Attica, Elefsina
Joined Sep 2010
221 Posts
Hello everyone and thank you for this wonderful FPV Guild. I am new in FPV and I am about to start making
my own plane for FPV flights. I have no experience in FPV because I have no friends that do this but I am
experienced in Rc planes. So after A LOT of research in the internet and viewing countless videos on
youtube from other FPV Pilots I gathered some equipment and will order if someone can tell me if these are ok.

My Transmitter for the plane is 2.4GHz and I can only use 5.8GHz Video TX because 900MHz and 1.2MHz is
taken from the Cell phone use. The gear I am going to use are these:

Radio TX:
Futaba 7C 2.4GHz

Video TX:
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8 GHz Transmitter

Video TX Cooler:
Very High Efficency Heat Sink for Transmitters

Receiver:
x2 R5800 5.8 GHz Pocket Size High Sensitivity Receiver

OSD:
EzOSD GPS Navigation System with current sensor

Antenna:
AN5811 HIGH GAIN PATCH ANTENNA 5.8 Ghz 11dBi
Hobbywireless have 2 Antennas for 5.8GHz. a 8dBi and a 11dBi. 11dBi is better?

Second Antenna for the second receiver:
AN5805 - HIGH GAIN WHIP ANTENNA 5.8GHz 5dBi

Camera:
SN555 very high resolution Color Camera 550 Lines PAL SONY

Diversity Controller:
ORACLE - Diversity Controller

Tripod:
Tripod for FPV Ground Station 53-Inches

Pan-Tilt:
Micro-light Pan & Tilt camera mount

Head Tracker:
HobbyKing X-1000 Advanced Head-Movement-Tracker Gyro

Antenna Tracker:
EZtracker Antenna Tracker

Antenna Tracking System:
Antenna Pan/Tilt for ImmersionRC EZ Antenna Tracker

Airplane:
AXN Floater Plane from HobbyKing.

I believe that I post what it takes from what I can understand for FPV. Is the plane ok?
Because I don't want to get bored from the firsts flights just because the plane is slow and can't be
little bit faster. I will change the stock electronics and add the bigger battery I can.
Please tell me what other things I'll might need to complete the gear and start building it!! Thanks a lot in advance!!!
MoRaLeSD is offline Find More Posts by MoRaLeSD
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:28 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
8dbi patch has a wider beam width. I would use 8dbi if I were you.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas