HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:52 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Oh, I forgot a camera cable $14 and the two little jumper cables $3.50.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=134

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=282

Camera cable goes from the camera to the "transmitter" cable. transmitter cable was on my original list. Oh, so its a couple bucks over $500. All good stuff though. You can mount the camera behind a prop if you want, cant even see the prop with the camera. I like it.
Alright more things on the list, is there an OSD on here ?
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:05 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
When you say the video quit, I suspect you mean it went blank/blue screen, right? if your monitor goes blue, you need to fix that problem. Monitors going blue is a huge problem and will cut your range by a factor of 20 in most cases.

-Alex
I'm using a laptop and it went snowy - like a VHS with no tape in.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Alright more things on the list, is there an OSD on here ?
You said $500, RVOSD and Dragon Link UHF will set you back $570 more. But well worth it!

Get the stuff on the list from ReadyMadeRC.com and when your ready add the UHF and the OSD.

Oh ya, your going to need a couple of antennas too. Just adding a 8db patch with put you out about 3-5 miles.
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Well, my search as come up with nothing so I'll see if I can get some help here. I have the following equipment being setup for an RC buggy ground system:

Camera
vTx

Various displays and cables have been used to test this new camera. The vTx comes with a nice harness that supplies 12v (three wire) to a camera. Using the supplied camera cable from SC2000 with a BNC to RCA adapter and a 12v wall wart power supply plugged into an old CRT tv shows a nice color picture. This also works going into my old Sony miniDV camcorder. But going into the dvd player and the Range Video tx/rx system I get a b/w picture.

What I wanted to do was make a light weight cable based on this cable so I could use a male servo plug on one end to mate with the Range Video harness. But I get a b/w picture. Is this an impedance mismatch issue causing the b/w picture? If so, what can I do to the cable I made to make it work?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:59 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
You said $500, RVOSD and Dragon Link UHF will set you back $570 more. But well worth it!

Get the stuff on the list from ReadyMadeRC.com and when your ready add the UHF and the OSD.

Oh ya, your going to need a couple of antennas too. Just adding a 8db patch with put you out about 3-5 miles.
I'm not even sure if my transmitter could even reach that, what's a good rx to pair with a Hitec Eclipse 7?
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:20 AM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
How are the ReadymadeRC packages? I'm interested in purchasing a package from them to fit to a Hawksky or Bixler. I run Spektrum Rx/Tx equipment (DX8). Our field is quite a strange layout - we have a large hill on one site and a even bigger hill in front of us (about a mile) that's a slowly-growing landfill, but you cannot fly out that far because of the methane-burning power generation plant inbetween our position and the landfill mountain (it's pretty big).

Would 5.8 be the best choice or would 1.3 be okay?
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:50 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
I'm not even sure if my transmitter could even reach that, what's a good rx to pair with a Hitec Eclipse 7?
I was assuming range with the vTx listed AFTER you upgrade to a UHF long range system. FM should get you out a couple of miles. Just hold your transmitter antenna at a 45 deg angle, when you get a radio glitch, hold you trasmitter stright up and turn around. (The plane, not you)
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Last edited by ScooterInVegas; Aug 09, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 01:18 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
I was assuming range with the vTx listed AFTER you upgrade to a UHF long range system. FM should get you out a couple of miles. Just hold your transmitter antenna at a 45 deg angle, when you get a radio glitch, hold you trasmitter stright up and turn around.
Alright thanks! I'll keep that in mind next time I fly.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:08 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Another question, I have an HD Bloggie, it has an AV Out port, is it possible for me to use this camera via the port?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Yes Renatoa uses it quite a lot there is also a thread about that subject: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041732

..but it has recording time limit of about 30 minuts, but after that you still get av output (in most cases - one guy is experiencing problems)..so you can still fly and record on your ground station...

Btw guys can you list some possible causes of osd reducing rc range..
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Oh my goodness he tore the camera up! Well that's how you save weight I suppose
This is a great thread! Thank you!

See the way the other guy did his setup, that's how I would do it, I don't see a need to gut the camera (I have a big enough plane) And you can use the camera for other purposes.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Yeah I'll mount mine in a static position at first, I'm scared of panning it, tilt isn't a problem ...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:52 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
Bixler / easy star all up weight question.

Hello, I'm attempting to build a bixler FPV platform. I would like to get the maximum time in the air that I can, but I'm unsure what the all up weight should be. I've seen 600 odd grams quoted somewhere, but since my empty airframe already weighs 480 grams, and my receiver / dragon osd / esc combo adds another 100 grams, and I still need to select a battery and add the camera system. I reckon that I'll be into 650 grams, before I add propulsion or the camera battery...

I've got some real piloting and engineering experience, and I realise that there is a minimum all up weight, and a maximum all up weight for any aeroplane. beyond which one should not go.

Would anyone be kind enough to either advise me, or even weigh your FPV bixler, and tell me the overall weight, plus the size of your propulsion battery? Thanks, Steve C.
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,445 Posts
Generally FPV planes fly better heavy because they typically do not maneuver as much as a POV plane. That said, keep it around 850 grams or so for best results. Up to 1000grams is fine.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:47 PM
My skylift broke AGAIN!!!
Central UK
Joined Apr 2008
31 Posts
Brilliant, that's a weight off my mind. I couln't see it coming in much lighter than 800grams. Good. I can use a decent size battery. And maybe shield some of the electronics...
swallabat is offline Find More Posts by swallabat
Last edited by swallabat; Aug 10, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Despite nearly 40 years in the trade I still can't spell "electornincs". See?