SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfrance View Post
, and any suggestions for another antenna (NOT a patch ) ?, thanks Paul.
I can think of a few and a site that sells such antennas

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:39 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Someone please help!

It has been nearly two months since RangeVideo recieved the package I sent concerning the problem with my FPV- they will not answer e-mail, phone, and God knows where this thing is! How can I contact them and does anybody know them I am so frusterated!!! There was almost $300 worth of stuff in there!
RV customer service isn't necessarily fast, but he *usually* will get back to you. Being a vendor myself I can tell you it is very difficult to balance a website with sales and customer service. When it comes to things sent in for repairs, it really throws our systems out of whack and therefore it takes time for us to get back to them.

Just send him a reminder Email every other day. You can send the exact same Email if you want. This way he doesn't have to go searching for the Email. It also helps if you keep the Email short.

-Alex
Old Aug 07, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
RV customer service isn't necessarily fast, but he *usually* will get back to you. Being a vendor myself I can tell you it is very difficult to balance a website with sales and customer service. When it comes to things sent in for repairs, it really throws our systems out of whack and therefore it takes time for us to get back to them.

Just send him a reminder Email every other day. You can send the exact same Email if you want. This way he doesn't have to go searching for the Email. It also helps if you keep the Email short.

-Alex
Whew what a relief- it has been a while though... sounds like you know him then, they actually were pretty helpful before.
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:13 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Double...
GreenAce92 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92
Old Aug 08, 2011, 12:14 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've always wanted to fly FPV however the price has always been the deterring factor, however within this month I feel that I can buy the minimum parts required to fly, including goggles.

I have flown for over 4 years so flying by naked eye is fine, I have recently built a platform which I think is suitable for FPV flying.

What is a basic weight estimate of the equipment that will be carried on board?

I'm looking to use a Hitec Eclipse 7, 72mhz Tx
With probably an Electron 6

I'm looking for a range of under 2 miles, this will be my first so actually it would be most likely half a mile radius.

What is a proven equipment set that I could buy/start out with and as I go along I can improve based on my experiences and problems that I come across?

If the price could be under 500 then I'd be happy

Goggles without gyros would be acceptable but later on I would like them

Any input would be appreciated, I do apologize for just asking for the answer but this area is confusing... there are many choices and I just can't seem to make up my mind.

So like I said, any tips or comments, I'd appreciate them very much.
Thanks
Old Aug 08, 2011, 03:18 AM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Lawmate 1w Tx $95
Transmitter Cable $14
Lawmate basic Rx $49
RMRC-480 camera $97
Fat Shark Goggles $250

Thats your $500 right there.

ReadymadeRC
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:47 AM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Alright thank you sir

I will spend it and use it wisely
Then build on from this
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:27 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Habu_Flyer View Post
Whew what a relief- it has been a while though... sounds like you know him then, they actually were pretty helpful before.
Remember that these are people. We have a lot of customers and orders cluttering our minds at any givent time. Sometimes we have time to respond to your Emails, sometimes we don't. When we don't, we have every intention to get back to it, but it is so easy to forget. I think the only exceptions to this are DPCAV and ReadyMadeRC. Those guys seem to have photographic memories. I personally have a photographic memory as well, but the lens cap often gets stuck...

-Alex
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:29 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Alright thank you sir

Then build on from this
I would also highly encourage you to read my blog and try your hand at a cloverleaf and a skew wheel antenna set. Buy an RG316 pigtail with SMA males ends on it for the cable. These antennas will significantly improve your FPV experience. To get the radius, bend around a 1" dowel rod.

-Alex
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Remember that these are people. We have a lot of customers and orders cluttering our minds at any givent time. Sometimes we have time to respond to your Emails, sometimes we don't. When we don't, we have every intention to get back to it, but it is so easy to forget. I think the only exceptions to this are DPCAV and ReadyMadeRC. Those guys seem to have photographic memories. I personally have a photographic memory as well, but the lens cap often gets stuck...

-Alex
Isn't that a good reason to buy a quality CRMS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custome...hip_management

I mean, why depend on something as lousy as human memory.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 08, 2011, 01:18 PM
Physics hate's my ideas
USA, NY, Dunkirk
Joined May 2007
3,912 Posts
Quote:
I would also highly encourage you to read my blog and try your hand at a cloverleaf and a skew wheel antenna set. Buy an RG316 pigtail with SMA males ends on it for the cable. These antennas will significantly improve your FPV experience. To get the radius, bend around a 1" dowel rod.

-Alex
Alright I will remember to do that once I have the parts
Thanks for the advice
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:28 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
655 Posts
I did my very first FPV ground test today! And got about 30 feet before the video quit on me... I'm on 1280 MHz with a 400 mW transmitter with stock rubber duckie antennas on both ends. This test was done among houses, though still line-of-sight. This doesn't strike me as a good preliminary test. I didn't think the stock antennas would be that bad! Can I expect better performance in a field?
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:54 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
There are guys getting 20 miles on 400mW. Check your antennas and make sure the center pin is going all the way into the plug.

With a stock antenna on the vTx and a tuned patch vRx antenna, I get 2 miles of clear video with 1w.

With stock antenna's on both, I get about a mile. You should try again away from the houses. Remember, your going to get a lot better video off the ground.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:14 PM
Village Idiot!
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Alright thank you sir

Then build on from this
Oh, I forgot a camera cable $14 and the two little jumper cables $3.50.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=134

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=282

Camera cable goes from the camera to the "transmitter" cable. transmitter cable was on my original list. Oh, so its a couple bucks over $500. All good stuff though. You can mount the camera behind a prop if you want, cant even see the prop with the camera. I like it.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:47 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
I did my very first FPV ground test today! And got about 30 feet before the video quit on me... I'm on 1280 MHz with a 400 mW transmitter with stock rubber duckie antennas on both ends. This test was done among houses, though still line-of-sight. This doesn't strike me as a good preliminary test. I didn't think the stock antennas would be that bad! Can I expect better performance in a field?
When you say the video quit, I suspect you mean it went blank/blue screen, right? if your monitor goes blue, you need to fix that problem. Monitors going blue is a huge problem and will cut your range by a factor of 20 in most cases.

-Alex