HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
The Song of Moses
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Discussion
DLE Engine Manuals

Has anyone seen the downloadable DLE manuals on Tower? Geez... they're pretty awful. Can anyone explain to me what exactly they're telling you to do to drill the bolt holes for the DLE-55? How do I find the holes that I drilled half depth when I turn it over? I love the "spark plug reading" too. Yellow tipped electrode? When was the last time you saw a yellow tipped electrode? Maybe in the early 80's... or perhaps that was copied from the Chinese manual where they have more sulphur in their gas?

Rewrite these things or delete them, Tower. Give me back the sketchy Chinese manual DL supplied with the 50cc anyday! Don't read the Tower manual. Throw it away.
Alcyone is offline Find More Posts by Alcyone
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:29 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,086 Posts
Actually the Tower manual has a lot more detailed information than I got in my DLE manual from a different supplier.
And about the prop holes, you half drill the finish hole... there is a pilot hole called out. Sounds good for drilling a wood prop.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:05 PM
The Song of Moses
Joined Nov 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
Actually the Tower manual has a lot more detailed information than I got in my DLE manual from a different supplier.
And about the prop holes, you half drill the finish hole... there is a pilot hole called out. Sounds good for drilling a wood prop.
Fokker, for someone relying on this manual and following it literally, there's going to be a lot of problems. I challenge you to actually follow one of these manuals to the letter and successfully get to the end without a problem or quickly, for that matter.

On the DLE-55 manual, let's start on page 10
STEP 1) - Why would I need the prop washer to help me find the center of the crankshaft hole? Props already have a hole here, all I need to do is enlarge it (preferably with a reamer).

STEP 2) - this is OK. This is what you're talking about, Fokker

STEP 3) - Now it gets weird! OK, ignition magnet position is good info, but what I'm really going to have to note is the position of the four "outer" bolt holes because in the next step I'm going to have to put the prop washer on to mark the position of these holes.

STEP 5) - You better look at the picture because that's just how you'll have to position the prop washer to drill the "outer" holes right. Hey, why not just tell us to position the prop washer "like so" with the prop "like so" then mark it and drill the holes? Forget about all the steps about setting the engine at compression. You're not teaching us anything.

STEP 6) - OK, so I'm going to use my trusty #35 drill bit on the drill press to drill one "outer" hole all the way through the prop. Then I'm going to switch up to a #5 drill bit to enlarge the hole. Gee, that's a little big, isn't it?

STEP 7) - Whatttt???

STEP 8) - Why didn't you just have me use the dead center tool you made me buy to mark all 4 holes at the same time?

For that matter, I love all of the detailed pics of the connectors on pages 5 and 6.

Nice going Tower!
Alcyone is offline Find More Posts by Alcyone
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,086 Posts
If you do not own a drill guide then following the steps in the manual are the best way to insure success. I own a drill guide and you can't beat them for accurately drilling your prop.
Step 1 seems like an unused step unless you are procuring or carving your own undrilled wood props.
Step 2 gets the prop in the proper rotation for ease of flip starting. You really don't want the prop at the 3-9 or 4-2 firing position to try to start it.
If you try to mark all 4 outer holes with a dead center locator then drilling them I guarantee that at least 1 will be slightly out of position and the prop will not bolt to the engine.

I guess you just don't like their manual so it does not matter. It is typical of the Chinese translations. Sort of like the Japanese translations of 50 years ago...... pretty bad
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
RC Power Australia
Ipswich, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
RC Power has english manuals for DLE-20, 30 and 55

http://www.rcpower.com.au/informatio...6b9bcce380bb26
RCPowerAustralia is offline Find More Posts by RCPowerAustralia
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
United States, MO, Cape Girardeau
Joined May 2008
76 Posts
Towers are a lot better
new1200 is offline Find More Posts by new1200
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:55 PM
RC Power Australia
Ipswich, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Manuals

Yeh a lot of work has gone into them there great
RCPowerAustralia is offline Find More Posts by RCPowerAustralia
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
890 Posts
Perhaps if you are having that much trouble with the manual (and Towers is far better BTW) then perhaps you should just stick to glow or buy another brand gasser
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore