SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:28 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,357 Posts
Which plotter to get for under $2000

Im in need of a good plotter for plotting out my master copies of plans for printing. I have been using my grandparents Design jet but i hate having to go out there and make them stop what there doing just so i can use there plotter. I really like the design jet but they cost a lot for what i need it for. Anyone have any ideas on what i should get? i dont want the old pen style plotters being i hate setting them up and they really wond do what i need on my plans. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2003, 06:35 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
I find that building from plans with everything on one sheet is very inconvenient. Many times I cut the plans apart for building convenience. Maybe you should look at the formatting of plans from the builder's point of view and put each subassembly on a seperate sheet. If you like this approach it will also reduce the size and cost of plotter.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:26 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Hey Mike,

I'm also looking for a plotter/printer. I talked to a fellow the other day who was able to find some large format inkjet printers at auctions. He found one that sold originally for $13,000 and got it for $400.00. He says you have to be patient and keep checking what's available. There is a print shop that went out of business in Vancouver. The auction is July 31 and I will try to get to it. Here's a link to AbleAuctions.
rogwinger is offline Find More Posts by rogwinger
Old Jul 25, 2003, 12:53 AM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Here's some HP printers that look pretty good.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:15 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,357 Posts
Thanks Rodger. I might just get a new HP plotter. I had no idea they where down int he $1300 range.

Mike
Old Jul 25, 2003, 05:27 PM
Sir Buildsalot
Stockbridge, GA
Joined Nov 2002
646 Posts
Mike,

I have been using Autocad for about 10 years and HP plotters are great for your application. I bought a refurb HP600 DesignJet from "http://www.designjets.com" they have them for $1300.
The 600 is a workhorse, unfortunatley HP stop supporting them and if a part goes out, throw it away, thats what I did
But it lasted 3 years at about 8-10 plots a day before that time.

We have an HP DesignJet 500 now, and its a Cadillac compared to the 600 and its color too for about $2000.

Just my $.02 worth

Jeff
MailOrderGuy is offline Find More Posts by MailOrderGuy
Old Jul 28, 2003, 07:04 PM
How fast can balsa go?
Chilliwack B.C.
Joined Jan 2002
678 Posts
Hey Mike

Well I went crazy and bought a plotter. I found an Hp 700 from a local dealer. Looks like a very nice unit and they have complete history on it from new. This is a 36" wide plotter and can do prints as long as 50 feet. Great fun! Cad work is going to be so much better. No more plot setup fees at the printers or paying their high prices for copying. I'll be picking it up after work tomorrow.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 07:17 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,357 Posts
WOW, i need to call around to find me one then. Im about to be moving so i need to wait untill we get moved in before i get one. THanks for the info Guys.

MIke