HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:46 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBoXeR View Post
OK so I have a Gyropter Made by Propel RC (rooftopbrands doesn't really seem to exist anymore). Anyway, I just got it for Christmas and after I charged it up and turned it on for the first time and the top rotor blades started turning. I didn't think this was right, because all the other GyroCopters I had seen, none of the blades turned untill the throttle on the remote was pushed forward.

It seems to sync fine and I can still take off so long as it is not a smoot surface (it will start to spin wildly). It is stable while in flight and seems to work totally fine except for the one set of rotor blades turning all the time. Any words of wisdom from some more experienced users?? Thanks
The problem is in the potentiometer used to control the throttle. Apparently it's been shifted inside your transmitter. Take it apart and see if you can adjust it. The potentiometer needs to be spun forward in relation to the stick. So that when you pull back on the stick it goes a bit further backwards.

Hope that makes sense?
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Parts?

I bought one of these for my daughter. It was her favorite gift for about 10 minutes. She did pretty well with it, but landed rough and the top snapped off. Of course, that part didn't come in the repair kit. I've looked all over the internet. I found one site, but you have to buy a whole kit. Anyone know of any sites to get individual parts for the Gyrocopters. Thanks.
humpty99 is offline Find More Posts by humpty99
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Great product but now I need some repair

I received as gift at Christmas...had many great flights and very few or serious crashes but...my rear rotor (I believe handles forward/backward motion from right Direction controller joystick) is not working...anyone have any ideas as to why or suggestion to fix?
Mikevan1963 is offline Find More Posts by Mikevan1963
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:33 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpty99 View Post
I bought one of these for my daughter. It was her favorite gift for about 10 minutes. She did pretty well with it, but landed rough and the top snapped off. Of course, that part didn't come in the repair kit. I've looked all over the internet. I found one site, but you have to buy a whole kit. Anyone know of any sites to get individual parts for the Gyrocopters. Thanks.
I got two for my kids for Christmas as well. Tail roter broke off one of them and one of the large central gears got stripped on the other. I don't mind buying the spare parts but was pretty disapointed to not even be able to find a working company site. Anyone have suggestions?
Merccooper is offline Find More Posts by Merccooper
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merccooper View Post
I got two for my kids for Christmas as well. Tail roter broke off one of them and one of the large central gears got stripped on the other. I don't mind buying the spare parts but was pretty disapointed to not even be able to find a working company site. Anyone have suggestions?
go to www.propelrctoys.com - they don't have a support section - I have sent a request for where to get spare parts/repairs via the "contact us" web form.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:37 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Tail rotor does not turn for some reason after a moderate crash. Hoping there is a simple solution.
tfewster is offline Find More Posts by tfewster
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Can't find any support anywhere...any ideas?

I got one of these - a W6625 - for xmas...have been having a blast with it too. It worked for about a day or so and simply stopped "booting" up.

It charges up, powers on fine. However the red blinking light will not stop blinking, which seemed to indicate a "ready" state before. I tried draining it (left on and with red light blinking away for a day) a few times and then recharging, to no good success. I'd like to try fixing it before returning it, as I have the tools and the wherewithal to try fixing it if anyone here has any ideas.

So far I've managed to get it going once, for about 4 mins, before it went back to neverending blinkenlights again.

Are these things very sensitive to cold? I realize it's winter in Canada but perhaps the electronics like living in warmer climes.

Signed, interested but frustrated.
JasonBee is offline Find More Posts by JasonBee
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
nice rc helicopter for the price...

I have 4 of them. I originally purchased one from BJ's Wholesale club before Christmas and flew that for over a month. I bought 3 more for my boys and they do fine except two of them have a problem with the tail rotor. They stopped operating. Does anyone have a solution before I start disassembling each copter? Also, I've really beat my copter up but the boys have yet to really crash them or do anything worse than what I've done with mine.
Salman1 is offline Find More Posts by Salman1
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Support Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfewster View Post
I have the same problem. Tail rotor does not turn for some reason after a moderate crash. Hoping there is a simple solution.
I will attempt to reach support via call center number and see if:

a) I get through
b) they can actually help and or ship spare parts
c) if parts/shipping don't exceed retail price of Gyropter!

Stay tuned....
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBee View Post
I got one of these - a W6625 - for xmas...have been having a blast with it too. It worked for about a day or so and simply stopped "booting" up.

It charges up, powers on fine. However the red blinking light will not stop blinking, which seemed to indicate a "ready" state before. I tried draining it (left on and with red light blinking away for a day) a few times and then recharging, to no good success. I'd like to try fixing it before returning it, as I have the tools and the wherewithal to try fixing it if anyone here has any ideas.

So far I've managed to get it going once, for about 4 mins, before it went back to neverending blinkenlights again.

Are these things very sensitive to cold? I realize it's winter in Canada but perhaps the electronics like living in warmer climes.

Signed, interested but frustrated.
Have you tried to switch RF channel and then "pair" the helicopter w/ controller (after powering on both copter and controller - move left controller joystick all the way up and then back down (see flight instructions manual)?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Propel RC Gyropter contact info and spare parts

Wow!

I guess we've been lucky or it's just early yet! Sorry to hear about all the problems. I bought 2 for my 18 and 22 year old "little boys" for Christmas and had to buy a 3rd because they made it look like so much fun and so easy. No problems, right out of the boxes, played with them ALL DAY! The 18 year old broke his tail rotor (propeller), but I think that's just a Marine thing. He replaced it easily from the repair kit. (He'd better, he's starting his MOS training as an Aviation Mechanic!) Oo-rah!

There were some passing mystery moments where someone's main rotors started turning without their controller when someone else started flying theirs, but I suspect that was just some cross-binding.

Is it too late for exchanging your disfunctional 'copters? I purchased ours for $39.99 each (plus NJ 7% tax) at a local "BJ Wholesale Club" (similar to CostCo or Sam's Club). I'm sure if they didn't work right out of the box, BJ's would make an exchange, no questions asked. My only apprehension is that BJ (like any store) may not continue to stock these. They may be a one-time buy for the holidays.

I see what you mean about rootopbrands.com site not being up. I called 949-566-9573, pressed 1 for Customer Service, got a recording giving a Propel RC website I didn't catch. I called back, got a very nice person, who gave the website as www.propelrctoys.net. However, ".com" also works, and has a cool demo video. The sites seem to be interconnected or overlapped, so it doesn't seem to matter which one you access. They list 'copters and more spare parts kits. Not sure if they go past the stock spare parts kits, though, if you have a problem with something deeper. Like Mikevan1963 says, try contacting them through the Contact Us web form if you need more than just the stock spare parts kit.

So, Salman1, the boys' 'copters are breaking without crashing, but your 'copter is fine even with crashes? We have a LOT of family mysteries like that and worse. You just never know what's actually going on when you're not watching! "Let's see if my finger stops the rotor!" "Let's see if we can cut paper with it!" "I wonder if we can stir up chocolate milk with it!" LOL! (Or cry silently.)

I hope everyone's frustrations can be overcome, because we are having a blast with our 'copters. I hope they last longer than a month, we'll see.

Hope this helps.
misterLB is offline Find More Posts by misterLB
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:24 AM
Canada, ON, Lakeshore
Joined Nov 2007
142 Posts
Part fell off

Been playing with the Propel gyropter now daily and a couple of days ago this tiny round part fell off. Doesn't seem to have effected flight performance and Im wondering if it might just have been a little extension on the charging tube?

Any ideas?

It sure would be nice to find a more comprehensive manual with internals diagram and more parts than what is included in the little kit.

Thanks,
Fred
fredle is offline Find More Posts by fredle
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Fred, that little part is a bezel which holds the front (white LED in the nose) in place. No affect in flight although you may notice a hole where there once was a light. I tried to fix mine with no luck, Couldn’t get my tweezers down far enough to push the LED back in the hole.....

tfewster, my tail rotor also stopped working after a bad crash. I noticed the little motor had worked its way up and almost out of the bracket it sits in. I gently worked it all the way out and found one of the very, very small wires to the motor had broken off. I found it impossible to solder due to the small size and the wire being stuffed down in the bracket with no extra to pull up to work with.

I gave up and just ordered a new one at www.propelrctoys.com, I also ordered a couple of spare parts packs just for good measure. I now have a parts chopper plus all the other spare parts I need…….

Jay
jashaff is offline Find More Posts by jashaff
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3 Posts
propel gyropter

Hi, my wife bought me one for my birthday. got it at brookstone in the mall for 39 dollars plus 5.99 for an additional year warranty. Everything worked but on my flight tries I couldn't get it more than 4 inchs or so off the ground. Tried as I might thats the altitude I was able to reach. Returned it got another one, and I have the same problem. What am I doing wrong that won't allow me to get some height?
aiag1917 is offline Find More Posts by aiag1917
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by humpty99 View Post
I also had a rough landing although the landing gear snapped off so where can i buy a new landing gear thanks.
johnny0987654321 is offline Find More Posts by johnny0987654321