HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tking2097, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:18 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Discussion
Radian Pro added to Fleet!

Yes, it themals - A Great Day Flying the Pro!!

We had a really nice break in the weather today, so I took the Radian Pro out to the field and had 3 hours and 15 minutes of quality time with it! A few key tidbits are included below for a quick report.

Temperature: 65F-67F
Winds: 7-15mph, very choppy, at times just ugly

Bat Time Description
1. 23:03 stock Radian Pro battery. Ran it until the ESC cutoff.
2. 26:09 2100mAh 35C Flightmax (flew with Eagle Tree GPS unit)
3. 37:52 2100mAh 35C Flightmax
4. 38:07 2100mAh 35C Flightmax

Key Flight Stats
------------------
total airborne time: 02:07:07
Maximum Speed Measured: 39.93mph / 64.3kph
Average Speed: 10.8mph / 17.4kph*
Maximum Altitude Flown: 807 feet / 246m
*high wind speeds slewed the avg speed numbers up!

On the first flight I hooked a decent thermal for about 4 minutes and had to fly out of it twice to avoid losing sight of the Pro! After the 1st battery, clouds came in, thermals moved out, and winds picked up.

For the second flight I remembered I had the Eagle Tree GPS and Data Logger, so I put them to work. Two graphs and the 3D flight path plotted on Google Earth are attached.

I very hastily landed the Pro towards the end of the third battery pack when I heard the sounds of actual warbird engines and saw a formation of 3 World War II planes heading towards the field! I identified the largest in the formation as a B-17! The other two appeared to be trainer or small single engine fighters. What a sweet sound and sight! All I had was a point and shoot camera in the bag, and I managed to get one poor shot off before they headed off towards the northwest.

The normal over-fly area is a bit over 6 acres http://www.rcairfields.com/airfield_...hp?parks_id=28
. Coring thermals was easy with camber engaged, rudder to control direction, and pulsing the ailerons as needed for turns.

The one characteristic that really stood out today is the relatively long flight times per battery pack, especially while flying in some fairly stout winds! And note that the Radian Pro most certainly does thermal, very easily controlled with camber and reflex on occasion. Landings are a dream in higher winds with the great flap and crow controls. I spent most of the 38 minutes of the 4th battery shooting landings with flaps and crow, both of which were very handy given the rough and choppy winds, especially below about 50 feet On several occasions the wings got tipped up instantly to nearly 90 at 20 to 30 feet off the deck. While it was a day to be on your toes, the Radian flew with minimal effort. The Radian Pro is a real pleasure to fly!!

Oops - Flying with a "FrankenProp!!"

The Radian was received with a defective motor. With the motor, the Radian Pro would barely hold a 30 climb. A temporary fix to the problem was to replace the stock 9.75 x 7.5 prop with a Graupner 10 x 8.

I guess I was distracted during the prop replacement. The day after making these flights I found that only one of the two folding prop blades had been replaced!!

Oh-no - FRANKENPROP!!

See picture below... Yep, Oops!!

What is very interesting about this is that before each flight I ran the motor up to full throttle before launching the Radian Pro at a lower setting. There was no vibration! My hunch is that the stock prop blade and the Graupner blade were well-balanced for weight. Go figure the odds of that one!
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Last edited by tking2097; Dec 13, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added FrankenProp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
To me, every day is Saturday
DAL/FTW
Joined Jul 2006
1,533 Posts
Who would have thought to double check?

gb
fall666 is offline Find More Posts by fall666