Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
Long range transmitter and reciever

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a transmitter and receiver with the longest range possible(looking for a couple miles). thanks.
TheBatman is offline Find More Posts by TheBatman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:57 AM
Stinger!
USA, TX, Boyd
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
I found this the other day, but I'm not sure if it will stretch 2 miles. It's what some of the FPV guys are using.
http://www.dragonlabs.net/site/DragonLink/installation
radialarm is offline Find More Posts by radialarm
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,251 Posts
http://www.webx.dk/rc/uhf-link3/uhf-link3.htm
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
447 Posts
hei can any one tell me how i can increase the range of ordinary 2.4 Ghz radios?
ferdous7466 is offline Find More Posts by ferdous7466
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,521 Posts
Are they legal?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:27 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
The Hitec AFHSS system is easily good to 3 miles and has the ability to avoid any interference from other 2.4 devices as seen here:

Review: Hitec Spectra AFHSS 2.4GHz receiver and module (part 3) (6 min 2 sec)
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Are they legal?
Not in the US unless you are licensed.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
Would this be for FPV or just general long range?
Good for at least 10km if setup properly:

http://www.dragonlabs.net/
or
or
http://www.immersionrc.com/

@Mike
I used a Hitec Aurora 9 for FPV and got shot down at 1000m so be careful assuming it's good to 3 miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a transmitter and receiver with the longest range possible(looking for a couple miles). thanks.
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:57 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
What is the receiver sensitivity on the optima's?
or what baud rate does the transceiver use for data comms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
The Hitec AFHSS system is easily good to 3 miles and has the ability to avoid any interference from other 2.4 devices as seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f43mydRdjA
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Would this be for FPV or just general long range?
Good for at least 10km if setup properly:

http://www.dragonlabs.net/
or
or
http://www.immersionrc.com/

@Mike
I used a Hitec Aurora 9 for FPV and got shot down at 1000m so be careful assuming it's good to 3 miles...

Got shot down? - you went into failsafe?.... or you lost receiver power?.... or there was unexplained 2.4 interference (really really unlikely with Hitec)?

I would think that there is something clearly wrong - either receiver, ESC BEC overcurrent (undervoltage), transmitter output, installation, etc. and maybe it should be sent to Hitec for check out?

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
It went to fail safe.
Unexplained interference on 2.4ghz - never!
2.4ghz is a ISM band frequency, it is used for all sorts of things including ground radar!
Hitec's Frequency hopping makes it more resilient but one wifi access point transferring data at full speed (using 20mhz bandwidth, even worse turbo mode uses 40mhz) within that frequency range will instantly kill your link - (in this case for instance where the plane was 1000m away).

I do however agree that Hitec is good though, better than others but not the best solution for FPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Got shot down? - you went into failsafe?.... or you lost receiver power?.... or there was unexplained 2.4 interference (really really unlikely with Hitec)?

I would think that there is something clearly wrong - either receiver, ESC BEC overcurrent (undervoltage), transmitter output, installation, etc. and maybe it should be sent to Hitec for check out?

Scott
Last edited by bingo17; Dec 14, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Hitec's Frequency hopping makes it more resilient but one wifi access point transferring data at full speed (using 20mhz bandwidth, even worse turbo mode uses 40mhz) within that frequency range will instantly kill your link.
Not with any kind of separation it wont. Even with the receiver or transmitter right on top of a standard wifi access point it should completely kill the link. The Cisco access points we use at work might, but a standard wifi AP like a linksys or similar should have no effect on it. And yes, I have tested it. Even tested using a microwave.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:32 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
What does it matter what brand name of access point is used, it boils down to spectrum usage.
What do you mean "tested using a microwave"?
A microwave oven's radiated energy is confined within the walls of the device so should not really affect 2.4ghz control.
Do you have access to a spectrum analyser to confirm your tests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
Not with any kind of separation it wont. Even with the receiver or transmitter right on top of a standard wifi access point it should completely kill the link. The Cisco access points we use at work might, but a standard wifi AP like a linksys or similar should have no effect on it. And yes, I have tested it. Even tested using a microwave.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Because industrial access points in some cases use more power and have higher gain antennas than the wifi routers that are sold for home use. So yes it does matter. Spread spectrum devices are by design able to operate simultaneously, that is the point of being spread spectrum. Can devices interfere, absolutely. But two ISM compliant devices operating simultaneously are not going to cause one or the other to stop working.

You are correct, but it is possible albeit not safe to over ride the safety features on a microwave. Or to cause the door seal to leak enough to be apparent on a spectrum analyzer. It was a PC based analyzer, not as accurate as it could be but well enough to illustrate what was happening.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
Quote:
@Mike
So are you saying that some specific equipment you were using shot you down or it just happened as if you were flying a normal plane? While I'm not saying it could never happen, it's just highly unlikely as there have been almost zero reports of a signal lockout with our system. Did you use scan mode to set your channels?

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry