HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:07 PM
Amateur Helicopter Goader
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
Poor man's Helistar

Hi all,

Thought you might like to see a little heli made from easily-available bits and pieces.

Motors: FK 180 SH (from RC car) and N-20 (tail)
Rotor diam: 14"
Rx: GWS
Servos: 2 x Expert Supermicro (~$20 )
ESC: GWS 2 Amp and Pixie 7
Power: 2 cell E-Tec 700
Gyro CSM 180 (from a Hornet)
All-up weight: 5.4 ounces
Flight time: > 10 minutes

Main blades are (way) cut down Hummingbird blades - Housefly blades worked well too. Tail blades are venetian blind slat
Main and tail spur gears and swash from a Hummingbird - the rest cobbled out of bits of wood, carbon, Kevlar thread and circuit board material. Canopy is from a Hornet of course.

And for some reason, its easier to fly than both the Hummingbird and the Hornet !!?!
Iain is offline Find More Posts by Iain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:20 PM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
Another view...
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Iain,

good job on your little home built chopper. I really like it looks like it would be much more comfortable inside than my CP Hornet is.
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:02 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
Thanks Buzzsaw

I ususally fly it in the garage, or if its DEAD calm, outside. It was just one of those very unscientific experiments that came out right.

I think I can probably find a better motor than the Speed 180, but at $7, the price point was great. A rewound CD ROM motor would probably work nicely.

I'll see if I can get a couple of in-flight shots uploaded this week.

Regards,

Iain
Old Nov 20, 2003, 08:56 PM
Brunei Darussalam
Joined Mar 2003
556 Posts
Hello Iain,
Great heli. Some question on your heli if you don't mind.

1. Any picture of the heli rotor head. How did you build it and what material did you use.

2. How much did you cut off the hummingbird blades. Why did you trim it instead of using it straight. Do you think your trimmed blades will work on the hummingbird?

3. Any chance to get some close up of the whole heli or some measurements. Want to try and build one myself too. Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated. I've also been checking out a guy (Ben Hui) web site who has also scratch build a micro heli from bits and pieces.

Cheers.

shim.
shim is offline Find More Posts by shim
Old Nov 24, 2003, 09:04 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
Thanks, Shim!

I will take some measurements and a couple more photos tonight, and post. The reason I trimmed the blades was that I was building a smaller heli (13 - 14" rotorspan), as opposed to a hli the size of a Hummingbird/Hornet/Piccolo, around 20 - 21". I doubt if blades this short would work on the Hummingbird.

-Iain
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:05 AM
Brunei Darussalam
Joined Mar 2003
556 Posts
Iain,
Thanks for willing to share your build with me. Once I get your dimension and start building I will also post my build here where others can share too.

I find the rotor system (rotor head & swashplate) the most complicated but may go with Ben Hui's scratch design. But your rotor head looks neat so appreciate if you can post some picture and advise what material you used.

Thanks again for sharing.

-shim
shim is offline Find More Posts by shim
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
Hi Shim,

No problem!

As I mentioned, I made use of a number of Hummingbird parts - cheap and readily available - including the swashplate ;-)

Photos follow.

Regards,

-Iain
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:46 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
and another...
Old Nov 25, 2003, 12:46 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Jul 2002
65 Posts
...and one more...
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:08 AM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
Very nice work. You remind us all that a CNC machine and carbon fiber everything arent required to make a heli fly.
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:25 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Shim,

Ben Hui and many others with similar small micro DIY were members of the DIY House FLY forum (2 some years ago) this is were a lot of the how to build your own House FLY size heli information got dissiminated.

Photo of early rotor head and swashplate on the 1990 4 ounce Sport Le, note the mechanics and alumnum head design. I sold this head to many DIY builders. I still have them for experimenters and DIYs, just in case.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:37 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
The DIY House FLY Drawing that started the DIY House FLY Forum. Note again the head design.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:47 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
House FLY this heli was done prior to the Helistar. If you ever take a look at the Helistar, note the Helistar followed up with similar head design use of aluminum tubing and square composite paddles. In my humble opinion I see Iain's DIY heli with more details that resemble the original House FLY kit than the Helistar, so I can't understand why he's chosen to call his DIY heli Poor Man's Helistar?
Old Nov 25, 2003, 01:58 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Picture of the original HF kit, with typical MIA "A" arm supports.