HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Indio
Joined Dec 2006
56 Posts
Just a Bump for Heli Updates, can tell you guys are work'n hard, and, I really do appreciate these last few updates, and, beta's, which BTW are great, but Please, Please, Please, Heli updates... TIA... Greg
lotechgreg is online now Find More Posts by lotechgreg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, OR, Molalla
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
Ok, I've updated the Extra 260 (35%-scale Hangar 9) aero. The new setup is here:

http://www.fsone.com/downloader_wp.p...ra260-beta.exe

It will add into the airplane list as "Extra 260 (beta)".

The difference is this: I've added some new aero coding/data stuff which I think is 'playing well' w/ this airplane wrt roll handling, but it feeds into most maneuvering. Please let me know how you think it compares. The difference will be subtle I think.

This update is not part of the main V2.1.1 update, but it adds onto that. So you need V2.1.1 to run it.

Michael
Thanks for posting the beta. I can't say that I noticed much difference though. I tried high and low speed rolls, harriers, various tumbles, precision, etc. but couldn't really detect what was different. What characteristic was the update meant to tweak?
jlloyd1995 is offline Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:07 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd1995 View Post
Thanks for posting the beta. I can't say that I noticed much difference though. I tried high and low speed rolls, harriers, various tumbles, precision, etc. but couldn't really detect what was different. What characteristic was the update meant to tweak?
Ok, I thought that might be the case. It's subtle. It's a bit "looser" in highly 3D maneuvers (where there's rolling, pitching, yawing), and also it's quicker on point rolls (more nimble in roll). But again the tweaks could be difficult to see. It's pretty fine grain.

Also, just checking -> you picked the name w/ 'beta' in the list?

Michael
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
I did choose the beta version. I like to fly it as a 60" like my 60" EF Extra 300 so the beta and standard versions were both scaled down to 60 inches with all the same exact specs when I tested them.

You mentioned coming out with a new 3D plane. I'm looking foreword to that because the H9 Extra 260's control surfaces are just too small. My EF Extra has much more control authority on all 3 controls. I know I'm just one person saying this, but I think a lot of people would like an Extreme Flight Extra 300 and that would pretty much cover the EF 48, 60, 70, 78, 91, and 104" Extras with the use of the scaling wizard. Extreme Aerobatics are getting more and more popular so that one plane would be a great addition.

If you ever decided to go through with this, it would be best to base it off the 60, 91, or 104" as they are the newest/most improved of the series.
Last edited by jlloyd1995; Dec 01, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, WI, Kenosha
Joined Aug 2004
79 Posts
Quote:
I did choose the beta version. I like to fly it as a 60" like my 60" EF Extra 300 so the beta and standard versions were both scaled down to 60 inches with all the same exact specs when I tested them.

You mentioned coming out with a new 3D plane. I'm looking foreword to that because the H9 Extra 260's control surfaces are just too small. My EF Extra has much more control authority on all 3 controls. I know I'm just one person saying this, but I think a lot of people would like an Extreme Flight Extra 300 and that would pretty much cover the EF 48, 60, 70, 78, 91, and 104" Extras with the use of the scaling wizard. Extreme Aerobatics are getting more and more popular so that one plane would be a great addition.

If you ever decided to go through with this, it would be best to base it off the 60, 91, or 104" as they are the newest/most improved of the series.
I second this request!
bhouin is offline Find More Posts by bhouin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:45 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouin View Post
I second this request!
+1
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:36 PM
USA, OR, Oregon City
Joined Sep 2004
78 Posts
Quote:

+3!
dano02vfr is online now Find More Posts by dano02vfr
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Definitely need to take a look at this (Extreme Flight Extra 300). If someone could PM w/ the best point of contact at Extreme Flight that would be helpful. No promises!

I think a key part of this particular airplane (getting it right in the sim) is getting the mass data right, i.e. moment of inertia (MOI). To get MOI data we don't need a totally flyable airplane. We can get this info from literally broken parts. I've got to think that a lot of these airplanes end up in broken parts , so might anyone out there know of any busted airplanes that they'd be willing to part with - could send my way?

Bulletproof packing would be required.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
I hear Chris Hinson (owner of EF) is a very nice guy. Maybe he would have some parts and try to work with you.

Here is his RC G handle: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=27972

Here is the website: http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/contact.html

P.S. thanks for the consideration.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:24 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Thanks for the info + idea.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jun 2008
157 Posts
I hope Chris will work with you. I have his fairly new 64" (60) MXS and it is one of the finest flying planes I have ever flown. I hear simular comments about his Extra and Edge in this same size. He also has a modernized Laser on the way. Class act company.
Richard
rppoind is offline Find More Posts by rppoind
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
I PM'd him and he says " I know nothing about doing it, but if he can make it happen that would be great!"

MSelig, I'll foreword the PM to you.

Now, does anyone have some parts to donate???
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:15 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Quote:
I PM'd him and he says " I know nothing about doing it, but if he can make it happen that would be great!"

MSelig, I'll foreword the PM to you.

Now, does anyone have some parts to donate???
Wonderful. Thanks!

Yes, parts would be good ... "We can rebuild him...we have the technology..."
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Oct 2010
460 Posts
No problem!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:27 PM
FS One
Urbana, Illinois
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
cutting a pylon

Dear Jack (diceco) and others of course,

Formalizing what it means to pass a pylon, or to cut a pylon, is trickier than I expected. (We're in good company: Mario Kart famously let you win a 3-lap race by scooting back and forth across the start line 3 times!)

Right now a cut is determined like this: at the upcoming pylon, divide the ground into four quarter-planes. If the aircraft enters the quarter-plane that's past the pylon and inside the pylon, that's called a cut.

Clearly this is simplistic: if you get lost and wander around (whoops, high rates, 500 feet high, lost track of where I am), you might inadvertently enter that quadrant before regaining your bearings.

But no matter what extra constraints I doodle on napkins, they seem vulnerable to Marioesque cheating. Can you think of anything that I can't?

How does a real-world judge decide when the aircraft is "close" to the pylon, i.e., when to start thinking about measuring cut vs pass?
camilleg is offline Find More Posts by camilleg