HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined Oct 2008
62 Posts
One more comment.

It seems like the flaps don't add enough drag. The L/D with them in the up position can get just over 9, with them set at the middle position it can get up to 8.5 or so, and it can get to 8 or so with them all the way down. Based on their visual size, it seems like they should add a lot more drag than that and it seems to glide better than planes I've flown with big barn doors hanging down like that.
Lee Jay is offline Find More Posts by Lee Jay
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:19 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
I did this. Climbed super high in 3D field. Gear up (no gear drag). 'k' to kill the engine to get static prop (no windmill prop drag). Then 'F6' to get right behind the airplane. Pressed keypad + to see L/D.

I'm getting these numbers for max L/D:
11.75 clean
10.5 for about 1/3 flaps
9.2 for 90 deg flaps

In the last case, I know the Cd for the split flaps is 'on the money'. I was flying the 25% scale model.

Ok, I see I'm using Cd (extra bit) of 0.010. I settled on 0.020 for the Extra 260. So maybe the Cd in aero edit needs to go up again. This last Cd increment is a necessary estimate which catches all the extra bits of drag (juncture drag, control horns, etc).
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Nov 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceco View Post
Nice plane that FW. Now if only it had a radial engine sound. There are more model radial engines on the market than ever. How about some sounds? (I never did like the sound of a single two stroke gasser.)

Thanks for the update. diceco
We'll have to get up close to one sometime -- get the sound recorded. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any flying in the area here.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2008
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
Ok, I see I'm using Cd (extra bit) of 0.010. I settled on 0.020 for the Extra 260. So maybe the Cd in aero edit needs to go up again. This last Cd increment is a necessary estimate which catches all the extra bits of drag (juncture drag, control horns, etc).
It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm talking about here.

Having said that, the clean config doesn't feel too slippery to me. I've just noticed that when the "barn doors" come open all the way on these that they tend to drop like a biplane, and this one glides pretty well like that.

As for sound, I've seen people put DAs and Zenoah's and DLEs and the like in similar planes before. I've never seen one of these, though.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Nice plane that FW. Now if only it had a radial engine sound. There are more model radial engines on the market than ever. How about some sounds? (I never did like the sound of a single two stroke gasser.)

Thanks for the update. diceco
For several years at Joe Nall there has been a FW190 fitted with a radial engine, probably a RCS (Moki). The sound is just fantastic! IMHO the sound of the engine makes all the difference in the world to the experience of scale modeling. And oh what a beautiful sound the radial makes!

Check out Youtube for videos of models with radials. There is an ample collection.

diceco
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:50 PM
Joined Oct 2008
62 Posts
Wow.

Fw190 A7 (2,9m) Moki S 250 Sternmotor (9 min 11 sec)

FW-190 Flying (1 min 55 sec)

FW 190 Radial powered (1 min 6 sec)

Airworld FW-190 with Moki 5 cylinder radial engine (4 min 12 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
516 Posts
Hey MSelig,
Some questions for myself & help any others like myself who are in need of assistance & hopefully, some illumination to make the rc sims easier to grasp the complexities of all the features & options incorporated with the rc sim programs.

I'm an 'ol-timer rc enthusiast(back into it 3yrs ago) & now, totally retired, have much more time to enjoy my passion to fly. I'm not the most PC technical adept as far as all the programming parameters involved with a PC & the programmable Tx's, although, I am learning gradually.

I do a lot of homework regarding any purchase I make to examine any issues & solutions per application. Since I do a lot of PC Combat Sim's as I'm an 'ol WWII buff & have a passion for the warbirds of WWII, I do have a half-dozen warbirds in the 800-1400mm range. I love flying them along with all my other planes. All my planes are electric powered. I have a new, smokin', dedicated computer just for the flight sims & rc sims; Win7/64, Azus quad-core 3.3ghz, 4gbRam, 820gb hd, NVidia 620 1gb, 26" Azus LCD. I have Phoenix V3, just ordered Realflight6, & would like FSOneV2 since it is touted to be the best for fixed wing.

Reading this thread from the beginning to comprehend the entire gamut of queries, I am having reservations to purchase as there appears a lot of issues that had to be addressed & appears still many issues that require present & future upgrade necessities. I sent in an E-mail query regarding Tx's supported & the response was in "chinglish" & not quite a clear, concise answer & expected. So, I will post my queries in this response to get some clarity.

1) I have (2) Tx's.... FSTH9X & Turnigy 9X that are identical as I presume made at the same factory. They both have the same female receptacle at the rear that I presume are for a buddy-box and/or sim connectivity. I don't see the sim cable for these units on your website. If there are, which part #?

2) I also have a "Rolls-Royce" Multiplex Evo 12...... cable for it available??????

3) Does the FSOneV2 have such planes(electric) as the Bixler/Hawksky, 800-1400 warbirds, Cub, Mr.Mulligan, & other "lazy" fliers?

4) It appears this sim leans more towards the 3d genre planes & there are many of us that are not interested in that particular flight character. Will more additional models of the "lazy" type planes be available for download?

Thank you for input & your information regarding future enhancements/additions/upgrades.....

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Talking of up-date's...... I am getting a bit bored of the flying sites that are available, any chance of some new ones ?

I realise the 3D scenery's are probably not in the near future. but it would be nice to have some new panoramic photo sites.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:39 PM
FS One
Urbana, Illinois
Joined Dec 2004
84 Posts
Hi Denny,

1. I'll guess that FS One doesn't try to support the Turnigy 9X transmitter, because unlike, say, Multiplex, such transmitters often change their innards without notice. There's photos of circuit boards to prove it. So it's simply too much work to try to keep up with them (and there's many, not just Turnigy). "Made at the same factory" means little when one production run of boards lasts only a few weeks.

2. I just heard that cables for Evo (9 and 12) are in stock. http://www.fsone.com/contact-fsone.php should get you one.

3. At least a Cub comes on the DVD (full list, http://www.fsone.com/faq.php#93 ). The warbirds can be scaled to 800..1400 mm with a few mouse clicks in the Scaling Wizard. Let's leave it at that so I don't read your mind what you mean by lazy flier.

4. More planes will come all the time; the most recent one (FW 190) sure isn't "3D genre." I don't think Michael's one to promise particular airplanes way in advance, though. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, likely, in terms of the order airplanes are rolled out.

Hope this helps,
Camille.
camilleg is offline Find More Posts by camilleg
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:31 AM
RC Student
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
I have a question. I shot a message through fsone.com but haven't heard back so I figured I might get a little faster help here. (itching to get the sim back up)... I lost the peice that plugs into the PC. I don't know what to call it but it's between the pc and cable. I couldn't find where to purchase one on the site so I was wondering how I can get another one.. Thanks!

Chas
Trapviper is offline Find More Posts by Trapviper
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:45 AM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
For several years at Joe Nall there has been a FW190 fitted with a radial engine, probably a RCS (Moki). The sound is just fantastic! IMHO the sound of the engine makes all the difference in the world to the experience of scale modeling. And oh what a beautiful sound the radial makes!

Check out Youtube for videos of models with radials. There is an ample collection.

diceco
Well, we spent the last week looking at making some good radial engine sounds (Lee Jay's videos were useful). But after some serious thrashing about, hearing a good radial engine is a bit like listening to an orchestra -- just all kinds of tones, pops, clicks, rhythms, surprises -- great stuff. The conclusion is that to do it right (and I mean really sound good) would require synthesizing sounds on-the-fly, and that's no walk in the park.

With more thought, it might be worth a try again ... but for now ... moving on to more productive pursuits!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2010
162 Posts
How many sims should we own?

I have realflight sim 3.5 and I am about ready to purchase another sim or upgrade my current... It's so frustrating.. You want one sim to do it all. Fixed, Heli and 3d Airplanes and Helis.

I've been reading everything I can find for 3 months and all I read says that if you want accurate physics for fixed wing, helis, and 3d with lots of airplanes and editing ability, you need at least 3 sims.

Phoenix and Realflight for variety inexpensively
FSone for fixed wing and 3d acro
Phoenix for helis

So has Realflight improved its physics much with RealFlight 6 or is the best physics still FSone for fixed and 3d airplanes and phoenix for helis

I am anxious to get my FS One V2

Maq
maq007 is offline Find More Posts by maq007
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maq007 View Post
I have realflight sim 3.5 and I am about ready to purchase another sim or upgrade my current... It's so frustrating.. You want one sim to do it all. Fixed, Heli and 3d Airplanes and Helis.

I've been reading everything I can find for 3 months and all I read says that if you want accurate physics for fixed wing, helis, and 3d with lots of airplanes and editing ability, you need at least 3 sims.

Phoenix and Realflight for variety inexpensively
FSone for fixed wing and 3d acro
Phoenix for helis

So has Realflight improved its physics much with RealFlight 6 or is the best physics still FSone for fixed and 3d airplanes and phoenix for helis

I am anxious to get my FS One V2

Maq
How about starting a sim thread called "Airplane Physics"? Then any sim maker can chime in about what airplanes are supposed to do in the physics department (keeping games and other stuff out of it).

I don't know anything more about RealFlight 6 than what's been said in forums and ads.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 01:01 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I have RealFlight Maq it doesn't compare to the fixed wing physics of FSone especial for 3D.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maq007 View Post
phoenix for helis
Maq
Just a rhetorical question here. How is it that Phoenix has such abysmal simulations for fixed wing and has the best simulation of helis??

I've tried it on both wing types and can attest to the fact that the fixed wing simulation is terrible. As I'm only a rudimentary heli pilot I can't say much about the accuracy of the heli sim.

Do the other sims really use physics calculations when they run? I had the idea they just did some elaborate table look-ups.

diceco
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco