HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:24 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Thanks, and right now ... I hope this rough patch ends soon. We wait ...
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2006
12 Posts
SLow Motion Physics...?

Is there a way to slow down the physics of flying in the sim?

That would be cool to crank-it-down-a-notch to have time to react during complex maneuvers...

The response time to, and motion speed of contol-surfaces and throttle would not be slowed, just the resultant movement of the plane in the air...

Watching the "slo-mo" videos gave me this idea...

Possible?

I know that flying a full-scale or a very-large plane moves slower, but it would be neat to be able to increment the physics up-and-down during flight...

Lovin v2...

John
siameez is offline Find More Posts by siameez
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:16 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameez View Post
Is there a way to slow down the physics of flying in the sim?

That would be cool to crank-it-down-a-notch to have time to react during complex maneuvers...

The response time to, and motion speed of contol-surfaces and throttle would not be slowed, just the resultant movement of the plane in the air...

Watching the "slo-mo" videos gave me this idea...

Possible?

I know that flying a full-scale or a very-large plane moves slower, but it would be neat to be able to increment the physics up-and-down during flight...

Lovin v2...

John
Yes --> Click on Options | Physics and pick "Sim Rate Multiplier". You can change the speed that way.

You bring up an interesting point ... with the slower time in the sim, you're still going to be moving the sticks (with thumbs) are regular speed. So what you learn will not be the same once you switch back to real time. I made some reference to this (back up in thread) ... mentioned "time warp", and I think this is the "time warp" problem -- that physics in sim runs slow (whatever you set), but your inputs/brain will be going regular speed. Hope that's not sounding confusing.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:42 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
direct link for those that want it now:
http://www.fsone.com/downloads/FSOne-2.0.6.924.exe

FYI the regular downlink link is still not working, so I took a shot at removing the cgi stuff hoping that the file would be in the downloads which it was. Hopefully this is not stepping around any licensing agreement stuff, I can't remember what you had with the previous update. If this is a problem I'll edit my post to remove the direct link.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
2.0.6 (r924)

Interesting that you're getting anything off the site. Nothing works here. I think they are in fact moving to a new server w/ new IP or something. And so there is now some DNS propagation lag. That's speculation! Link above is great if it works there.

Here are the release notes:
  • Adds the classic SIG Four-Star 60 (wingspan: 72 in, weight: 7.5 lb).
  • Adds Ultra Micro Stryker with USAF trim (wingspan: 17 in, weight: 2.15 oz), variant of the original F-27B Stryker.
  • Adds new hover training widget. Press 'o' to start. Known issue: If the hover training widget is on when a flying session is stopped (with Esc key), it will be on when flying starts again. Press 'o' to toggle the hover assist widget and turn it off while flying.
  • Adds bomb drop targets near pilot position on runway.
  • Updates to the Cap 232 and Extra 260 airplanes -- more drag tweaks (a scosh higher drag).
  • Updates flying site descriptions.
  • Updates flight training lesson names in list.
  • Changes behavior: Flight training no longer changes airfield, sun/sky, wind selections of other flying modes.
  • Changes behavior: max G load in heads-up-display (HUD) cleared after reset or instant-up.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
Yes --> Click on Options | Physics and pick "Sim Rate Multiplier". You can change the speed that way.

You bring up an interesting point ... with the slower time in the sim, you're still going to be moving the sticks (with thumbs) are regular speed. So what you learn will not be the same once you switch back to real time. I made some reference to this (back up in thread) ... mentioned "time warp", and I think this is the "time warp" problem -- that physics in sim runs slow (whatever you set), but your inputs/brain will be going regular speed. Hope that's not sounding confusing.

Thanks for the feedback.
Thanks Mike!

Slowing-down the physics may be usefull to learn what stick movement combinations/sequences do and hopefully transfer these learned movements to real-time flight... Like learning a new dance move or the fingering on a musical instrument...
siameez is offline Find More Posts by siameez
Last edited by siameez; Aug 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:31 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
The pages are all working for me, but as soon as I click on the downloads links I get the errors listed a few posts above.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:59 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
The pages are all working for me, but as soon as I click on the downloads links I get the errors listed a few posts above.
That's very useful info. Then the problem is that one single file did not get uploaded ... webmaster error. But now I have to wait for DNS to update in my little part of the planet before the file can get uploaded.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
Joined Oct 2008
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSelig View Post
I keep getting emails saying it's fixed, and it works. But then 1 hr later ... something is wrong again. Weird.
Working right now. Thanks for the update!
Lee Jay is offline Find More Posts by Lee Jay
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Ok, the 2.0.6 (r924) download link should be working now. Thanks for the info here!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Works now.

I have discovered a bug... The 35 inch Mig15 ducted fan model can not be destroyed. I've crashed it at full speed and it just bounces and keeps working. Really bad when it winds up upside down on the ground because you can't take off again. All the other planes I've tried crash just fine and resest the sim. back to starting position.

One other thing I've noticed is that the smaller the model, the farther away it starts on the runway. Makes it very hard to inspect the controls because they can not be seen.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Ok, Mig15 35-inch is not a bug. But, yes, it's non-breakable. If you want to break it, copy the 'breakableparts' file from the original size into the scaled down version. Then it will break for you. These files are in the install dir -> Aircraft -> FixedWing -> big alpha list.

Let me know how that works. We could include the change in an update.

Size and starting point. The starting point does not change. But we could look at how to move the starting point closer for small models -- can add that to our 'bug/feature' tracking list. For 3D views, press F7 to see model up close. Then use keys 'b' and 'n' to move close.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
OK, thanks. I remembered that some models were unbreakable but I was thinking this was an option that needed to be set. And obviously I need to spend some time looking at the keyboard shortcuts. Mostly I was just going through testing things out with an old TX while I wait for the TacCon cable to arrive to try things with my real transmitter (and WL1000). Didn't arrive today so I assume I will have to wait until Monday.

I am finding it hard to gauge where the ground is and is a problem I have with pretty much every simulation. When flying I know where it is because I'm standing on it and can see it in the periphery, with a sim there is no periphery and I'm having a lot of trouble lining up for landings and things like that. The model also gets much smaller than can be seen which prompts me to try larger models for practice. I may need to set the autozoom or something.

About the Slow V, do they really fly like this? Practically any throttle causes the plane to climb. When transitioning from a left to right or right to left it always grossly overshoots even when I get off the control long before the wings level out. If that's how they really fly then I can be sure that I'll never buy one.

The Ultimate TOC is fun, but I need to investigate some options and probably wait until I get my real TX online so that I can set mixes and DR and expo more easily (and on the fly), but I can almost fly it now because it responds so well to control input. I also have a bit of a left hand, right hand coordination problem and my real TX is a single stick which I hope solves some of my issues. Really hard to deal with a heli when the left hand gets lost to right hand movements!

The stryker should not have a ground launch option... Sometimes I could get it to launch like this, but I also broke a lot of props as it bounce along the ground or grass.

Overall it's interesting but I have a feeling I may end up as not a simulator person. I need to really put some effort into trying it before I sell it again.

Oh and would it be an option to be able to import FMS models? Even if they only worked as well as FMS physics dictates it might be nice. I've spent some time with FMS and some of the aircraft and it seemed to work OK, but then again maybe that's its problem too.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:35 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Let me help where I can -- The function keys have lots of viewing options. Cycle through F3 many times and F4 many times. You will find one that has more zoom. I think as soon as we turn off ground launch as an option for some airplanes, someone will ask for it back. But making it default to hand launch makes sense. Gauging ground -- look at the shadow in the ground and the closure rate will help learn flying in screen. That should completely change your perspective (my opinion). Yes, Slo-V flies like that ... really slow (the name) and you can whip it around. Slo-V and throttle -- what's happening is the propwash hits the highly cambered airfoil and it goes up! No, the sim cannot import FMS models.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:57 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Smoke seems to help a lot but I still lose a feel for where the plane is in relation to the runway which makes it very difficult to land. Using the cheapo radio doesn't really help either so I'm hoping that will change when the new stuff comes in.

I did have one question about the updates... Do the updates contain all old and new aircraft or do I need to go back and apply the older updates?