HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts
So what you guys are saying is that you would be okay with demoing the program if you could load a "crippled" version of it. Something like a one plane, one heli, no dongle and a 10 day time limit?
I don't know if that can be done, but it's an intriguing concept.
Scott
Sctholson is offline Find More Posts by Sctholson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctholson View Post
So what you guys are saying is that you would be okay with demoing the program if you could load a "crippled" version of it. Something like a one plane, one heli, no dongle and a 10 day time limit?
I don't know if that can be done, but it's an intriguing concept.
Scott
Yes that would be what I meant. The number of RC sims are growing and none really have a good demo. And the demos that are available are rather old builds.
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:54 AM
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Oct 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Yes that would be what I meant. The number of RC sims are growing and none really have a good demo. And the demos that are available are rather old builds.
FS One has a record and playback capability. Maybe a playback-only version that would allow you to playback prerecorded flights would at least let you see how well the software would run on your system.

On second thought, if the playback did not exercise the physics modeling, then maybe it would not be a good test, but it would exercise the system graphics.
FrankFuss is offline Find More Posts by FrankFuss
Last edited by FrankFuss; Jan 28, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post
FS One has a record and playback capability. Maybe a playback-only version that would allow you to playback prerecorded flights would at least let you see how well the software would run on your system.

On second thought, if the playback did not exercise the physics modeling, then maybe it would not be a good test, but it would exercise the system graphics.
Recording only would be nice too. But indeed physics might be limited in the playback to keep recording file sizes small?

Also how open is Fsone v2 when it comes to adding model schemes, sounds and sceneries?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts
FSOne will allow you to develop your own scenery, not sure about sounds and you can repaint aircraft. It is not the easiest process and a few on the forum have accomplished these tasks. FSOne has FAQ's about these topics here:

http://www.fsone.com/tech-faq.php
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
FSOne will allow you to develop your own scenery, not sure about sounds and you can repaint aircraft. It is not the easiest process and a few on the forum have accomplished these tasks. FSOne has FAQ's about these topics here:

http://www.fsone.com/tech-faq.php
Ah OK so you can add sceneries and own schemes. Schemes need to be done in Photoshop so no problem here
Did not see anything about modifying sound.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever asked about sounds before, Are you looking to add music or engine sound or modify what's there?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
I don't think anyone has ever asked about sounds before, Are you looking to add music or engine sound or modify what's there?
Modify/Adding your own engine sounds.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:32 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts
I don't know if this is/will be possible. I looked at the sound files and the engine sounds are wav files, but there are other files that go with each wav file. So not really sure.
But don't lose hope over this, I've seen other things that were not possible only to learn later on that an FAQ was developed for it. So we'll see.

Also just out of curiosity, why change the engine/motor sound files? Maybe you are thinking that the motor sounds are crappy or something, I can assure you they are not.
Scott
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Modify/Adding your own engine sounds.
Your question above -- Are you a sound expert w/ all the necessary equipment and know-how to get quality recordings?
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:19 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,761 Posts
Despite the ability to add your own panorama's I never saw anyone add any. I wish they had badly. I thought about doing it but after reading the instructions about it it was more hassle than I was willing to deal with.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,356 Posts
I agree with Rpstar, some companies loudly advertise features like adding custom planes or fields, which are hard if not impossible to use. Give me good fields and accurate planes out of the box and I won't need adding custom ones!
bluesky123 is offline Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:26 PM
Woodstock, VT
Joined Jan 2007
632 Posts
I beg to differ, or at least express a minor correction. I have in fact created my own panorama. I did it in my garage because I wanted to simulate flying in it. The panorama worked fine, but had difficulties with setting limits on the walls. And that was because I did not create a physical overlay ( I forget the actual term). It is a doable event.
I'm not sure however how easy it would be to transfer it to another computer however.

In some respects though the process wasn't all that easy, I mean the photography to get the panorama is one aspect, then stitching it all together can be tricky, then dividing the images correctly can be done with software and then into FSOne it goes... Simple right? I think the effort that goes into the sites in FSOne and probably any flight simulator that looks half this good must have some real skill and time to do the quality imagery that is inside this stuff.
Scott
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined May 2004
7 Posts
Which interface cable do I need for a Spektrum DX6 (not the DX6i)?
Cbones is offline Find More Posts by Cbones
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
500 Posts
Dx6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Which interface cable do I need for a Spektrum DX6 (not the DX6i)?
This one: FS One v2 for JR/Spektrum FS2022
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig