hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 05:09 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
403 Posts
My sky trainer

I Love the way my Sky Trainer flies. Take off's and landings are a snap! This is my second favorite plane! But then nothing compares to the Radian! My wife caught this great picture. I was trying to dome some lazy day flying when I was engaged in aerial combat by a local hawk!
Baseman is online now Find More Posts by Baseman
Old May 04, 2011, 08:35 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,865 Posts
This is a real easy plane to fly. Ground handling is great and it has nice low speed flight characteristics. I can nearly always get good takeoffs and landings regardless of the wind or other factors. I'll fly this plane in conditions that would make me a little uncomfortable with most of my other planes.

Only weakness is the front gear which is easily reinforced as explained above. Once that's done you just go out, fly, and enjoy it. I've logged 113 flights, all original components, and had no problems and done almost no maintainence on the plane.

Hard to beat for $99.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; May 04, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
Is this made of EPO foam? The website doesn't specifically say so. Several of the pictures seem to have the surface appearance like Multiplex planes. Looks like a great deal though. What size battery are you folks using?
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:41 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's EPP. It's quite durable, except for the thin "hing-less" control surface hinges that are easy to tear. The front landing wheel is bulletproof once it's sleeved and sprung harder.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:48 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
EPP would be even better. Either one is a big plus. Looking real hard at this one. Want a larger scale plane that is not too heavy for a limited flying area. Airspace is no problem but a good landing surface is tight.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:56 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
A short landing surface makes me nervous, particularly if there's trees or buildings nearby to make a slow approach more difficult.

Did you read this whole thread? I added the flap servos and hinges with good results. For most flying, I don't think they're necessary, but they allow for slower (but less stable) landings, and they're particularly nice for lowering the stall speed when I'm using the floats. I can fly nice and slow without the tail dropping.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:21 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
If I want to drive 10 miles to a wide open paved area then approach speed would not be a concern. Three miles away is a little used street bordered by large open fields. But just a few blocks away is a decent size area but the parking lot (landing strip), all though wide, is fairly short. The wide ends are obstructed by trees on one side and power wires on the other.
I skimmed through the thread. Will go back and read the fine print.
Thanks.
Rick
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:59 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I live on the inside of a curve in a subdivision with 2-story houses and trees all around, and I fly mine off the road right in front of my house. Just watch for cars.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 11:23 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
I read a few posts in other forums with concerns about warranty issues with Nitroplanes and Dynam. Do they back up what they sell? With me customer service will trump price every time.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:43 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
None of the west coast outlets back what they sell. You're on your own. You need to be handy with this stuff to massage it into functioning order.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:05 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
Does that include items received damaged? Sorry to say that type of policy would make me shop else where.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:54 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
It would be very worthwhile to read the entire thread. All these details have been covered already.

The items are usually so poorly packaged that they can't make the trip intact. You should expect to find some damage like a warped tail stabilizer (can be bent back overnight), tail cone broke off the end, poor-fitting fasteners, etc. This will be true with ANY of these Chinese-American outfits.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:09 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,278 Posts
Went back and read all the posts. Really don't feel comfortable with Dynam at this point. The larger Airfield 182 offers spare parts at least. Guess I'll look around some more. Thanks for your thoughts and personal experiences.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:35 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Too bad they don't put more functionally-scale-like flap hinges on the Airfield.