HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Ive just gone by the plane being physically level to the ground. Im not positive on what actual physical parts should be level though.

I think the batteries are physically the same size, it just seems that the original has a foam wrapping under the heat shrink, and the Blue Lipos are just bare cells.

Ill weigh them later tonight and let you guys know whats up.
mq1991 is offline Find More Posts by mq1991
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Mine got its maiden flight this evening in calm winds and 30 degree temps. It felt a bit tail-heavy, so I'll move the foam lipo 'shims' to the rear of the pack to shift the COG forward for the next time. The flaps worked GREAT where I set them, and they still have lots more addional throw. I took off and landed twice, about 5-6 minutes total flight time. I was impressed. This is my first larger plane, and so far I'm happy with my choice.

Earlier today I cleaned up the slop where the quick-connects meet the control horns. The holes are slightly over-sized, leaving some play in the horns. I hardened some CA in the hole, then re-drilled it for a better fit. I also did the "cracked CA" method on the flap horns with everything already assembled, and was able to remove a lot of slop there as well.

Dynam Cessna 182 Plug-and-play airframe with motor and servos: $120
Spektrum AR6200 receiver: $80
'Blue' 2200mah 20c lipo: $20
two cheap micro servos for flaps: $0 (harvested from Walkera helicopter)

In my case, it's basically a $200 plane. (plus a few bucks of tidbits like wiring and flap quick-connects.) Heck of a good deal for anyone else starting out. I'm excited about this season.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
What are signs of it being nose heavy/tail heavy?

Its a fun plane!
mq1991 is offline Find More Posts by mq1991
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:24 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
It had a tendency to climb and stall easily with the elevator surface adjusted straight and neutral.

I used +12% down elevator with flaps "down." Seemed to work OK.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:06 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
I'm really disappointed with this plane. I've worked with it quite a while; changed motors, adjusted control surface throws, experminted with different CG settings - and still it's just not a very good flyer. It's not stable in flight, requires constant changes in trim, and still feels sluggish.

I've had several other Cessnas by Art-Tech, ST Models, Airfield and Hobbico. All of them fly better than this plane. Each has some strong and weak points but overall any one of them is more pleasant and fun to fly.

I really wanted to like this Dynam as I have 5 other Dynam planes that all fly nicely.

To all of you who are using this as a trainer, I would say that other models will be easier and much more fun to fly.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:51 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
That's strange. It can't really drift out of trim unless the battery is shifting or the wings are warping during flight. I'll have to pay closer attention on the next flight...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:10 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Planes can easily require different trims at different power levels and with different wind conditions. But it's more pronounced with this Cessna than others.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:18 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Even if the prop thrust angle is shummed/adjusted?

(sorry, I'm somewhat new to this)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,062 Posts
FYI, the Airfield Sky Trainer V4 is available now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358553
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
does this plane come with a wall AC adaptor?
mazz738 is offline Find More Posts by mazz738
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:17 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
AC adaptor is included.

I got several more flights on this one today, now have logged 24 - it's an OK flyer but I still think others fly a little better. It does look very nice and handles a little wind with no problem. It represents pretty good value for $139 RTF.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:06 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I came up with an improvement for the poorly-supported nose wheel,

I already added a thick spring on the metal shaft to make it stiffer so it won't bottom out as easily. Yesterday, I added support where the nose LG comes through the body between fuse and cowl. I found a thick plastic sleeve, drilled it out to the correct ID, then sliced it into halves with a razor blade, placed the halves on the strut, and carefully glued them back together. Then I Gollilla Glued the re-assembled sleeve into the hole in the EPP. Now it's super stiff, doesn't wobble around, and doesn't stress the attachment point inside as much.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 07:51 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Very similar to the solution I used and described in post #31. I just used the back half of the sleeve and glued it to the fuse.

My solution is easier but your's is probably stronger!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
do you guys think this is a good first plane for a beginner who's been flying in the sim for about 3 months?
mazz738 is offline Find More Posts by mazz738
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:49 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I don't see why not. I got started flying Parkzone Ultra Micros, and this plane seems much easier and more stable.

dbc, I see your post about the half-sleeve now. Your solution allows for easier cowl removal without cutting. I managed to eliminate nearly ALL of the play in the wheel this way-- hopefully I don't need to get at the motor anytime soon...