HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner147 View Post
I would like to wire up the LED lights on my Sky Trainer. Anyone have links to the connectors so I can plug these in?
It is a little more complicated than just plugging them in. You need to add resistors to the circuit depending on how you want to power them. I am powering them off of the flight battery balance port. So I soldered a female balance connector to 2 wires. Then I ran 4 lights in series with a 150ohm resistor and the other three in series with a 270 ohm resistor. All of this is connected to the balance connector and powered from the flight battery. No matter how you do it
you need to add resistors or you will burn up the leds. There are calculators online to configure the circuit and what resistors to use based on your power source.

I attached an image showing the circuit I used.
toofast4charlie is offline Find More Posts by toofast4charlie
Last edited by toofast4charlie; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added image
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqB2...ature=youtu.be
makes a good photo platform for small stuff.
I really like that view! Also like how you turned it into a 185! Looks really good! I have been wanting to do the same thing to mine and after the issues I had with my nose gear over the last year. A tail wheel would be much easier....
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,101 Posts
Thanks... I have about 5 of these... they are just such a great plane.... This is my go-to plane when I want to fly but don't want to risk any of my nice planes. It also just handles like a old pair of gloves. If you want it to do something just think it and it does it.
If you love clouds, You will love this video (HD) (9 min 24 sec)
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
Hold my beer, now watch this!
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
How much wind do you guys usually fly in? Would you say 10mph would be max wind to fly in?
Burner147 is offline Find More Posts by Burner147
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1,101 Posts
You can fly in more than that. It's your ability that is the limiting factor for the most part. Also it depends on what kind of winds you have. High erratic gusting is never good. Steady winds such as those with a front moving in make for some fantastic wind surfing, hover landings and stationary flying... It's all a mater of what you can handle. The average top speed of this plane is about 40 Mph so any thing over that would be the physical limit since you would not be able to fly the plane upwind back to you.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,053 Posts
The calmer the better. Stick skill can always overcome gusty winds, but it's just not that much fun to fly in the wind.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner147 View Post
How much wind do you guys usually fly in? Would you say 10mph would be max wind to fly in?
10mph steady wind is fine with the stock motor. But anything over that and it will struggle to go upwind. And as said above gusty of any kind isn't good either.This plane is really light and has a low wing loading which don't do too well in windy conditions...I have a 1500kv motor in mine with a slightly different prop so it is able to do better in windy conditions. I have flown it in 15mph winds but they were steady and was able to do a near zero groundspeed landing.

I have been flying for over 20 years and love flying in the wind just because it makes you just that much better at catching the plane in weird attitudes. It's easy to fly in the calm but the wind really shows your skills or lack there of. So if you can get an experienced pilot to buddy box with you and get used to it then you will see how much fun it really can be. I have flown in 50+mph winds with gusts much higher than that and love it if I am in the mood for it.
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2010
1,459 Posts
Hi guys..I bent my motor shaft slightly making emergency landing in high grass due to dead battery...I removed the grub screw but know matter how hard i try to remove shaft it only turns and wont pull out...anyone ever bend motor shaft on this cessna?and have the best solution? thx
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hold my beer, now watch this!
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
I have bent 2 of them in my early flying attempts.

One option is replacing the whole motor and get a new one from Nitroplanes they ~11 bucks.

Another option is to press the shaft out. Most use a bench press and something the size of the shaft to press out.
Burner147 is offline Find More Posts by Burner147
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2012
1,101 Posts
Get a 3 MM prop collet adapter. I cut all my shafts as soon as I get them any more. No more bent shafts..http://www.toysonics.com/toysonics-a...mm-to-5mm.html
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,702 Posts
Cant find this plane in stock anywhere at a good price. Anyone know???
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2010
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookeay View Post
Get a 3 MM prop collet adapter. I cut all my shafts as soon as I get them any more. No more bent shafts..http://www.toysonics.com/toysonics-a...mm-to-5mm.html
thx spookeay i will look into it
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
64 Posts
nice cloud video! looks like it woulda been hard to see the plane all the time, and it was pretty far. would you please comment about how you manage intermittent and distant visual with concerns such as climb/decent/attitude/direction perception etc. -for those of us interested in extending our flight range/height beyond our current comfort zone. thanks!
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Hi guys..I bent my motor shaft slightly making emergency landing in high grass due to dead battery...I removed the grub screw but know matter how hard i try to remove shaft it only turns and wont pull out...anyone ever bend motor shaft on this cessna?and have the best solution? thx
well just thought I'd ask if the shaft has a circlip on the end. if you're sure it has nothing holding it, place it over a small socket or something and tap it out. (i've never even tried pulling, seems it would be difficult). lots of bent shaft talk around. once you get it out, roll it on a plate of glass or flat counter or somthing.
you can usually staighten it by looking really close and putting the middle of the bend upwards and gently tapping flat with hammer. (may need to put it over something solld to raise it) go really slow and gentle and patient. removing circlips a challenge in itelf lol. tiny needlenose plies or knife screwdrivers etc. I do that task at the bottom of an empty bathtub because the tiny clip can go flying lol.
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:23 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,053 Posts
I replaced a broken Dynam motor shaft and notchy bearings with parts from Grayson Hobby, and the new shaft was slightly undersized for the ID of the new bearings. It runs OK, but it's noisy because of the loose play.

It's VERY hard to press the stock shaft out of the outrunner. I was not able to hammer it out the broken shaft-- I had to clamp it tightly in a vise and crank the bell off the shaft by hand, twisting and pulling.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro