HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:41 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Cutouts are provided for micro servos for the flaps. Unfortunately they will require one servo rerverser as the cutouts are symmetrical. Fowler-type flap hinges, control rods and control horns are included with the plane.

I've not installed these as the plane's wing loading is so light that landing speed without flaps is very reasonable. They might be fun but really aren't necessary.

I would suggest strengthening the nose gear - I epoxied half a plastic bushing behind the gear strut where it comes thru the fuse. Very easy to do and will allow the nosegear to take hard landings better. The main gear is very nicely designed, a single piece of formed aluminum for both struts.

I've now logged 12 flights on this plane and I'm generally pleased with it's flight characteristics and especially it's looks.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jan 08, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:05 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Thanks again for the tips. I got started last year flying the Ultra Micro P-51D and SU-26XP, but this will be my first "bigger" plane.

I will likely "reverse engineer" one flap servo by internally swapping the +/- pot extents and motor wires. Hopefully the weight of a couple of micro servos won't offset the benefits of flaps, right? I didn't see any specs on the battery compartment size. What lipo do you recommend?
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jan 09, 2011, 02:17 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Modifying the servo will work great and the small weight gain of two micros won't make any difference.

The supplied battery is approx 105m x 34mm x 24mm. It fits snugly in the compartment with the retention bar on the door just against the battery. You could use smaller batteries by shimming the compartment or battery. Larger batteries would require removing some foam and could easily be done within reason.

The dimensions given above are about standard for lots of different 3s 2200 20c batteries that could be used with a drop in fit. The inexpensive Turnigys and Zippys from Hobby King work well.

If powered adequately, this can be a very nice flyer. It's stable and responds nicely to control input. I can get some beautiful, scale takeoffs and landings with no problem.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 06:43 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Awesome. I added one of their 2200 20c "Blue" lipos along with the PNP plane on the order. Looks like I got the exact correct size pack, but I got slightly ripped off on the price.

Did I make a mistake buying a (genuine) used AR6100e? Now I'm reading some bad things about them-- range, etc. Is this a suitable Rx, or should I step up to something better?
Last edited by hydro_pyro; Jan 09, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I've also read of issues with the AR6100e but I don't have any experience with them.

I've got 5 of the AR500 receivers and they all work fine.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Range test with the AR6100. But it's a park flyer so make sure the antennas are as far as you can reasonably get from other stuff like wires or battery. I"ve put 6100's in larger than park flyer planes but I've always range tested them in a cheap GWS slow stick lower and farther than I care to fly. I range test w/ antenna pointed at the plane for worse xmission. If I can get 30 paces+ I know it's good enough to go slighty beyond park distance but it's my bad if it fails. Only time I've had ANY issues with Spektrum or their clones is when I've seen poor results on the range test.

On the flap servos, Are the servo cut outs so the servo sits flat on inset into the wing? can't you just flip the servo over in the other side and cut the wing small slots to match the flanges?
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 19, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:40 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I think I'll order a new AR6200 just to play it safe.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:21 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
I've got the AR 6200 in a Great Planes Cherokee. It's a fine receiver but I really don't see any performance advantage over the single antenna AR 500 and AR 600. I've had no issues with the 500's and have several hundred flights on them. I supppose you can justify the additonal $20 if the peace of mind is important.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
AR500 has 2 antennas. A short one and a longer one you can relocate. Most the fixed wing guys use those in airplanes at my club. thebarnfloor has them for $47 + shipping.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned, but the Airfield 182 is just a Dynam 182 that they take and enhance, correct? They both have almost the same paint scheme (though more realistic design on the fuse of the Airfield), and same prop, lights (even if not functional), etc.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Jan 13, 2011, 04:28 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I'm not sure if they're exactly the same. They seem to have some different specs, wingspan, etc. I'm getting the Dynam and installing the flap servos myself, which will make it comparable.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:45 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Mine arrived today. It's not in the best shape, but this is the new world economy, people!

-3" piece of the tail end of the fuselage broken off
-Top corners of the windscreen are dinged and cracked
-Vertical tail stab is badly bent due to loading in the packaging.

Oh well, hopefully I can straighten it all out...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:47 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
No one seems to have mentioned, but the Airfield 182 is just a Dynam 182 that they take and enhance, correct? They both have almost the same paint scheme (though more realistic design on the fuse of the Airfield), and same prop, lights (even if not functional), etc.
The Dynam is not the same plane as the current AirField 182 (v3). I have them both and nothing is the same on them. The newest AirField 182 (v4) may be related to the Dynam but it's not even in stock at Nitro yet.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:52 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,707 Posts
hydro:

Sorry to hear you plane arrived damaged. Dynam doesn't do a very good job of packging them. I've been lucky, I guess, as all 5 of my Dynam planes have arrived intact. A couple of them had some minor dents and scuffing in the foam - but nothing like what you describe.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hey everyone! I also purchased this plane, and the weak points that ive noticed are:

The front landing gear, for two reasons, the shaft that it uses for suspension stabs the battery if its compressed too much, i fixed that by placing a few zip ties on the shaft and limiting the travel to the inside battery compartment. And, it doesnt seem very well mounted on the inside of the fuselage, any suggestions on strengthening it?

This is my first plane that ive ever flown, and it flies beautifully! Ive had fairly good landings and nothings broken or come off, but it does seem that the front landing gear is coming loose.

thanks!
-Steve
mq1991 is offline Find More Posts by mq1991