SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Hi I just received this plane... Very nice model....Can someone tell me the best way to hook up the stock nav lights? Should i just plug into 3s 2200 balance plug? I'm just not sure if these lights can handle 12 volts or not....Thax
Funny! The post before yours shows one way to do it.
Do not plug leds into battery without correct resistor!
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Okay then anyone know the part i need to buy to do this? Can i get what i need at the hobbyshop ? thx
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Okay then anyone know the part i need to buy to do this? Can i get what i need at the hobbyshop ? thx
Unfortunately, hooking up the leds is a bit more complicated than just plugging them in.
The simplest way is to put a resistor on every single led.
You should read the last 4-5 pages of this thread to get a feel.
For the wiring see post #365.
To decide which resistor you wll need, see:
http://ledcalc.com
Then there is some soldering to be done.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Not sure what these stock nav lights are type wise...and i am not talking about hooking up any other lights...I could always use a separate small battery with less volts also...These really should not require much work its just a matter of knowing what voltage these 5 stock lights are designed for...as simple as a common flashlight....
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what these stock nav lights are type wise...and i am not talking about hooking up any other lights...I could always use a separate small battery with less volts also...These really should not require much work its just a matter of knowing what voltage these 5 stock lights are designed for...as simple as a common flashlight....
If you lookat :
http://ledcalc.com
it will tell you what the typical voltage drop is for each typeand color of led.
My set-up feeds each led with 2.2V
But how much current is more important.
Again consult http://ledcalc.com
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
There's no "feeding" any specific voltage. The voltage drop across a given LED is always the same. The supply must be greater, and the remaining voltage appears across the resistor, whose value determines the current flow in the circuit.

V = I x R.

V is the voltage drop across the resistor (supply voltage minus the forward voltage of the LED)

R is the value of the resistor in Ohms

I is the current rating of the LED in Amps. (for example, 30 mA = 0.03)

You're regulating the current across the resistor, thus regulating the current to the LED.

For example, using the 6 volt BEC power, With a 30 mA max rated LED with a forward voltage of 2 volts, V = 4 and I = .03

R = 4 divided by .03, or 133 ohms.

In this example, the closest typical standard value is 150 ohms, which will give you 26 mA in the circuit. Each LED will have its own resistor in series (inline with one of its connections.)

hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Last edited by hydro_pyro; Oct 21, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
On LEDs

I try not to waste too much power. With a voltage drop over the LED of 2.2V, the remaining voltage of the battery (app 10V for a 3 S LiPo) is wasted. Thats a 75% waste. Arrange 3-4 LED in series and choose a resistor accordingly (3 LEDs: (12V - 3x2.2V) / 0.02A = 270ohm or near value) This way only 45% of the energy is wasted, and will help the resistor running cooler as well.

some help here: http://www.google.dk/imgres?hl=da&sa...9,r:2,s:0,i:73
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Anyone know where to buy a control module/board for nav lights to blink correctly?...thx
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,615 Posts
[QUOTE=mike_o;23072604]I try not to waste too much power. With a voltage drop over the LED of 2.2V, the remaining voltage of the battery (app 10V for a 3 S LiPo) is wasted. Thats a 75% waste. Arrange 3-4 LED in series and choose a resistor accordingly (3 LEDs: (12V - 3x2.2V) / 0.02A = 270ohm or near value) This way only 45% of the energy is wasted, and will help the resistor running cooler as well.

Starting with a lower voltage would certainly waste less energy.
I opted to tap the balance port of the 3S flight battery as the power source because it's there anyway. No other batteries to worry about.
The parallel wiring is just being lazy.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,178 Posts
[QUOTE=Galand;23089397]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
I try not to waste too much power. With a voltage drop over the LED of 2.2V, the remaining voltage of the battery (app 10V for a 3 S LiPo) is wasted. Thats a 75% waste. Arrange 3-4 LED in series and choose a resistor accordingly (3 LEDs: (12V - 3x2.2V) / 0.02A = 270ohm or near value) This way only 45% of the energy is wasted, and will help the resistor running cooler as well.

Starting with a lower voltage would certainly waste less energy.
I opted to tap the balance port of the 3S flight battery as the power source because it's there anyway. No other batteries to worry about.
The parallel wiring is just being lazy.
I have 45+ LED's on my plane and run it on a 3s 40c 2200mah Sky Lipo and 3s 55c 2200mah Gens Ace pack. I also have an upgraded Rocket Motor with 1500kv and I am still getting over 8 mins flight time with lots of reserve left in the battery. The LED's use very little power!! I tthat running them off of the balance plug would work ok!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
Can i install servo's for flaps later on if i decide to on this model or should it be done before gluing the wings? I watched jeffs build video and the module for auto rev and slowing down servos is out of stock at HK...thx
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
Always puts it on the numbers.
United States, AL, Sylacauga
Joined Jul 2012
1,150 Posts
You can add them at any time..... If using one channel make sure you get one standard and one reverse servo. If using 2 channels you can set up a mix to reverse one channels servo while they both are assigned to the channel 6 switch..
Spookeay is offline Find More Posts by Spookeay
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined May 2010
1,874 Posts
thx spookeay...i will wait on that module board which reverses and has speed control for flap servo's...thx
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Also, it's easy to reverse a servo internally. Just reverse the two outer lugs on the feedback pot and reverse the two motor connections.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
good day everyone. i recently bought one of this. is it really easy to fly?
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd