HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
new to airplanes/two questions help please Dynam Cesna 182

Hi,
1) I would like to know how the prop. gets placed. I took off the screw and saw two washers. I have placed the prop, and the silver piece of plastic and both washers and all looks good, but I'm not sure if I have done it correctly.

2) the plane had all this extra wire for lights. but no wiring harness to connect it to anything. what/how do I connect it so the lights work.

I put everything together last night and plane looks big! I'm scared of flying it and crashing it!! As I was practicing just taxing on runway, the front wheel fell off!! Now I have to figure out how to fix it!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks
mman is offline Find More Posts by mman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:14 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
For the prop I left the first nut where it was and then back plate, prop, washers, nut and finally the nose cone. I had to take the nose gear apart before I installed it and tight/lock tight everything down during re-assembly. After installing the nose gear I decided there wasn't enough strength so added a piece of balsa to help support it. I don't think it will ever see forward force so only worried about side to side and back pressure.

The wires would have to be striped and if they could handle 5.5 volts plugged into the RX. If not a regulator would need to be put in place to lower the voltage down to the needed value. I just left them hanging.

The plane flies great and very easy to handle. Don't let it get to slow as the stall isn't a very friendly place on this one. Easy to recover with plenty of power and I really like it for the $100 it cost. I was buddy boxing it last night with my children.
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
quick response-thankyou

Thankyou so much for the prompt response and the pictures. I guess I don't know the voltage on the receiver, so I won't attach it. Looks like there was a place on the receiver that said 'battery'. So initially I was thinking of pulling all wires together and somehow connecting to the terminal. (wasn't thinking of the voltage!!) (how did you know it would need 5 volts?)
As for the prop, I will make the adjustment per your advise!!
I see how you have made some reinforcement for the front wheel, but mine is in place, but it's just the rubber wheel came off the front. I saw it was held by a small nut, so I re-tightened it and once I drove on the ground for 50 feet, it came off again. Same nut got loose!!
what's the budding you were doing with your children? Not sure what that means!!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
If you can get Loctite in your area go pick up a bottle. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/10/...r-Blue-242.htm

Use that to secure the bolt that holds the U bracket on and the bolt that holds the wheel on and your problem should be solved.

A buddy system is where the student holds a transmitter that is connected to the instructor's transmitter via a cable. When the instructor presses a level the students box controls the plane but when the level is released control belongs back to the instructor.

In my case the kids use a Futaba 4Y and I have an 8FG. I only give them control of the elevator and ailerons so they don't have to worry about throttle or rudder. It is a great way to allow someone to learn without the risk of crashing a plane in a few seconds.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Connecting the LED's in not just a matter of voltage. It's more of a matter of current. Any given LED has a given voltage drop that always occurs across it. A series resistor is typically required to get the current where it needs to be. Each LED needs its own ballast resistor.

Simple Ohm's Law... Voltage = Current (amps) x Resistance (ohms)

Most of these cheap LED's run about 20 mA (.02 A) with a 1.4 volt drop across the LED. Let's say you're using the 6V BEC voltage as a supply...

6 volts minus 1.4 volts = 4.6V. This is the voltage drop that will appear across the resistor in the circuit.

So... 4.6 = .02x. solve for x. (4.6 divided by .02) In this example, x=230. Using a 220 ohm resistor (this is a typical nearby common "standard" value) would yield a little over 20 mA of current.

I would expect that any 1/4 watt 220 ohm resistor (stripes= red, red, brown) would be suitable as a series ballast for each LED.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Got it

Blakevan. Thanks for the information on loctite. I will get some. I think it's great that your are using this to teach your youngsters how to fly!! Oh I also noticed that the rear top portion of the wing where there is a light is split open, and the back side is cracked. Do you think it would be ok to put some tape on it, or should I try to get a new one from Nitro planes.....

Hydro-pyro; Thanks for the education on voltage drops/amps and resistors. So is there a circuit board that i can buy to connect these two it. I want to make this as easy as possible. If its a complicated process, then I will just leave the l.e.d's alone!!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mman View Post
Thanks for the education on voltage drops/amps and resistors. So is there a circuit board that i can buy to connect these to it?
There's no need for a circuit board. It's simple. Just add a resistor in series. In other words, connect the LED (-) wire directly to (-) on the receiver, and use a resistor to connect the (+) wire to the (+) on the receiver. Each LED needs its own resistor to work properly.

Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:47 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Quote:
Blakevan. Thanks for the information on loctite. I will get some. I think it's great that your are using this to teach your youngsters how to fly!! Oh I also noticed that the rear top portion of the wing where there is a light is split open, and the back side is cracked. Do you think it would be ok to put some tape on it, or should I try to get a new one from Nitro planes.....

Hydro-pyro; Thanks for the education on voltage drops/amps and resistors. So is there a circuit board that i can buy to connect these two it. I want to make this as easy as possible. If its a complicated process, then I will just leave the l.e.d's alone!!
Best to post a picture but tape is always a great cheap solution with these planes.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:48 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
White Gorilla Glue is your best friend with this plane.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
more questions

I decided to go with the tape deal. I put some clear tape on it and it looks good!! I also put some glue as suggested earlier on the wheels. thanks.....

Hydropyro, as for the resistors.... I want to connect it to my battery connection that's on the receiver. I belive the battery is 12 volts. Can you tell me what reisitor I should buy please. Can I get them from radio shack. If I do them in series, as you suggested. Sounds liike wiring for christmas tree.....
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
oops

So I screwed up BAD. I got to fly the plane for total of 3 seconds. it went up and flew to tthe left right in the ground. I had practiced with sims for a while and was pretty good. I also flew mini supercub just fine. I blew it. the wheel is bent styroform torn. All can be fixed but worst of all the motor shaft is bent. I tried to straighten it but broke the shaft!!!
I can fix the other broken parts, but Nitro planes is out of stock on motor. HELP. where can I get motor and shaft!!!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:59 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,468 Posts
Dude, sorry to hear about the crash but the learning curve is steep on the first few planes. Was this the RTF version? Did you check controls to make sure they were going the right direction before take off?

If the firewall is fine you should be able to put any similar sized motor up there for about $20. You may not be able to use the 3 bladed prop or spinner but at this point learning to fly is way more important than looks.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:47 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
You don't need all the lights wired to each other in series like christmas lights-- just a resistor in series with each LED. If you want to power them from raw battery voltage (instead of 6v BEC power at the receiver) then double the resistor value. 470 ohms is a standard value that's easy to find.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
motor and other questions

So I spent a long time last night and it looks like the only place to get the motor is through nitroplanes. So how do I decide which motor and prop to get. I'm sorry of being so needy, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm the kind of guy that stops and asks for direction!!
My plane was the RTF. the firewall is just fine. I used some gorrilla epoxy and glued the wheel shaft back on. I'm thinking once you guys direct me a motor and prop. then I will disable the allerons, and make it more like my 3 channel and get a feel for the plane. Once I get better I can connect the 4th channel back. What do you guys think?
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:18 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,118 Posts
Quote:
So I spent a long time last night and it looks like the only place to get the motor is through nitroplanes. So how do I decide which motor and prop to get. I'm sorry of being so needy, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm the kind of guy that stops and asks for direction!!
My plane was the RTF. the firewall is just fine. I used some gorrilla epoxy and glued the wheel shaft back on. I'm thinking once you guys direct me a motor and prop. then I will disable the allerons, and make it more like my 3 channel and get a feel for the plane. Once I get better I can connect the 4th channel back. What do you guys think?
NO!!!! Do not make this a rudder only plane....you will crash it!! If you use too much rudder this plane snaps... It needs more dihedral for that to work and this doesn't have any. If anything just mix rudder and aileron while reducing the throws.

The stock motor works great in this plane with the stock prop! But if you want just a slight increase in performance use an APC 10X4.7sf prop and it will be just a little better...

Or you can do what I did. I now have a Rocket 1500kv motor with a 9X4.5E prop and the plane is a real hot rod now!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma76-2220-1500kv.html
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33