HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I don't intend to argue the point but I have measured the current draw, prop rpm, calculated effeciency and calculated thrust with several different props. This is actual data, not "how it sounds" or if the "motor is laboring" which are purely judgemental statements.
A 10x6 electric prop will develop adequate thrust to fly this plane. It's highly unlikely that the prop caused the issues PBY described.
Now you are contradicting yourself...You said "probably" in the first post and now say you have the data. Which one is it? I will have to do the test again to prove my point since I didn't record the numbers. But I do remember that it loaded the motor too much using an APC 10X6E prop. Less amps on the APC 10X4.7SF.
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Bad places to Fly!

Well all of the info. about the prop size is of little use to me now. I can report that the 10X6 two blade prop did act like it was not producing enough power. This may be due to the reconstruction of the plane after its first wreck, or the angle of the motor to the fuselage. Not sure

But I have learned that site selection for flying should include staying away from Cell towers. My Fly Sky CT6B Transmitter and receivers do not like the area I chose to fly at.

2nd time to fly at this new location near work and both times I lost all control and planted it in the field within feet of each accident. A friend of mine has been flying with a different setup and has had no issues. I think he is using a DX6i Spectrum.

My plane is now going to be used as spare parts for my Catalina. I might purchase a new fuselage later and piece together the main wing but it also has a crack near the center.

So thanks for the info about the Prop sizes. I recently spoke with a RC Hobby store owner and his advise was to stay with something around a 9x6 or 9X4.7 for this size plane.
Rescue_PBY is offline Find More Posts by Rescue_PBY
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
You can see both of my Dynam planes in this shot... But here is what I was doing with mine last night. Nothing like some night flying! Also I have a Exceed Rocket 1500kv motor, with Dynam Detrum 40amp esc, external 5v 3amp UBEC and spinning a an APC 9X4.7 SF prop. TONS of power and plenty of speed as well. I get about 8 mins flight time with or without the LED's on. I can't remember how many LED's I have on the plane but it is somewhere around 50....

Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:33 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Did a quick down and dirty test last night to verify that the wired LED's are in fact operational and can confirm that they are. I plan on hooking them up in series parallel curcuit with a seperate battery for the time being until I can get one of those RX controlled switches from HK.
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2 Posts
more input pls on led lights on this plane

How do yu make the led lights flash?
Only input I can share on this plane for new owners is to triple check the control horn screws holding the wires, especially the nut , on the elevator and rudder , i lost two on my two flights already, after landing fortunately try putting sufficient pressure when tightening
boyer is offline Find More Posts by boyer
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyer View Post
How do yu make the led lights flash?
Only input I can share on this plane for new owners is to triple check the control horn screws holding the wires, especially the nut , on the elevator and rudder , i lost two on my two flights already, after landing fortunately try putting sufficient pressure when tightening
There are some systems that you can plug them into that will get them to flash. The stock LED's are pretty dim though. Eflite has some LED's that you can get now that work pretty well. Or you can do like this...

I added some color to the top of the wings.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:40 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
I bought mine to be a Night Flyer. Not done adding lights yet but here is what I have so far.

gooniac33 is right, the stock LED's are dim.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
I bought mine to be a Night Flyer. Not done adding lights yet but here is what I have so far.

gooniac33 is right, the stock LED's are dim.

Nice job! I still have a few more to add. Just had to use what I had with me. All of the LED's are imbedded as well so they are not disrupting airflow...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2005
2 Posts
nice lights gooniac33, how does it feel flying in the night? though Im farsighted during the day, I havnt tried flying in the evening, which I guest is much less windy for sure and best for flying .

Did you Gooniac33 and FoamJunke added a separate battery for the leds? Tnx
boyer is offline Find More Posts by boyer
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
I'm running a separate 1300mah 3s battery for the led lights (placed along the CG) and I'm using a hobby king rx operated switch the is connected to the gear ch. I find it very enjoyable flying at night, it's just very relaxing.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyer View Post
nice lights gooniac33, how does it feel flying in the night? though Im farsighted during the day, I havnt tried flying in the evening, which I guest is much less windy for sure and best for flying .

Did you Gooniac33 and FoamJunke added a separate battery for the leds? Tnx
Here is a vid of me flying. And I am running my LED's in parallel with the main battery. I have a brushed ESC that is plugged into the gear channel so I can actually control the brightness if I go into the sub trim or travel adjust setting on my DX6i.

Flying my Dynam Cessna 182 LED plane (0 min 51 sec)
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jun 2011
30 Posts
I received this plane this past monday, and so today, I finally got a break in the weather to maiden it. I took it out to my school's parking lot, which has a football practice field right next to it. I took off, and it lifted up beautifully. I then banked it to the right and wanted to bring it in for a test landing, but I was coming in too high and fast, so I went down farther and started a right turn in for landing. A car had pulled up behind me when I wasnt watching so that they could watch this 'flying contraption' take off, and I had to make a sharper turn to avoid hitting it. As soon as I made that turn to avoid the car, the plane dipped down and nosedived into the concrete with a crunch. S#&@. Turns out it was just the prop that had broken, along with the windshield and front cowl. As well as the main landing gear getting ripped of and the fuselage getting ripped slightly. I gave the driver of the car a quick stare, and he got out of there quickly. Good news is the new parts will be here Friday, and Ill be good to go by about Sunday. I was just wondering if there is any way to practice my landings and approaches without purchasing a 30 dollar simulator. If there are ANY tips or advice you could give me, that would be greatly appreciated because I really dont want this happening again ( It was about a $50 fix)
Thanks, Dylan
dmunce is offline Find More Posts by dmunce
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Jun 2006
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunce View Post
If there are ANY tips or advice you could give me, that would be greatly appreciated because I really dont want this happening again ( It was about a $50 fix)
Thanks, Dylan
Dylan, I found out very early with RC planes that even though a football field is very large and the goal posts are very small, it is easy to find them with the wing of the plane Same goes for soccer goals. Also, trees are always closer than they appear, kind of a geographical oddity no matter where you are flying.
Nwjeeper is offline Find More Posts by Nwjeeper
Old May 30, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Just picked one up for my daughter to learn with on a buddy box. Has anyone cut the foam and done proper hinges? Other than the nose wheel any other mods needed?
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old May 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
It's already tail-heavy with a 2200 pack fully forward. I'd think that the weight of hinges on the tail surfaces, even light ones, would make it unflyable. The no-hinges will last a lifetime unless you rip them getting the plane out of your trunk.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro