Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:44 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2010
109 Posts
The new Airfield 182 looks like the best one to me.

New Airfield Cessna 182 Sky Trainer w/ Lights Review (9 min 20 sec)
Boelcke is offline Find More Posts by Boelcke
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:37 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boelcke View Post
The new Airfield 182 looks like the best one to me.
I've got the current version of the Airfield and it looks like the new version is going to be much improved.

Older one needs better landing gear and the black sticker windows don't look very nice. The black plastic "windshield" has warped badly with exposure to the sun. These issues have been addressed as well as adding lights and operative flaps.

Looks like another Cessna may find it's way into my hangar.

Maidened the Dynam today and it flew very nicely. It's a little sedate with the lower powered motor but was very stable and easy to fly and land. It flys more like the lighter Airfield than the heavy Art Tech. A/T is still the best looking one, however.

Lots of choices in 172/182 foamies right now.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Dec 27, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,059 Posts
I'm not one to have multiple planes for the same model, so as far as 182's, looks like maybe the new version Airfield 182 is the best? I guess this one will be V4, since the older one says it's V3. I have an ST that I never took out of the box but am think about selling it for this. Was hoping the Art Tech 500 class would be the best, but (while it is nice) it doesn't seem to be.
Sorry about hijacking.
BrianL is online now Find More Posts by BrianL
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:41 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
Your not hijacking. It's hard to say which Cessna is best.

I have the ST, Art Tech 500, older Airfield and this new Dynam. Each has strong and weak points. I guess you've just got to choose one that will be easiest for you to live with. We really won't know much about the new Airfield until they are available and others have posted their experiences with them. It looks to be improved, but there was lots of room for improvment!

I've now gotten 5 flights on this new Dynam and don't think it's a very good contender. Main problem is just that it's underpowered. Nose gear mounting is very suspect also.

I'm going to swap out the motor for one of the higher KV Dynam motors. That should cure the main problem. Their 1100 KV motor this size will draw about 40% more power. It's the one in the SR 22 that I have, and it gives plenty of power in that similar sized plane.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 05, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:42 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
I just looked at the Nitro video of this plane again and I'm convinced that the motor supplied with my plane can't be the one in the video. My plane doesn't seem to have that power or speed. That's got to be the 1100 KV motor used in the other Dynam planes I have: SR Trainer, Skybus and Grand Cruiser.

I'm working on getting it powered correctly and hope it will then be as nice a flyer as the video shows.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 05, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:40 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
How is the battery loaded into the Dynam 182? from the bottom of you have to take off the wing?

I"ve been asked to get a high wing foamie for someone and set it up for him.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 19, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:37 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
Compartment door is underneath between main and nose gears. Battery slides into compartment behind the motor and is secured by a large foam bar molded into the door. Door held on with a magnet. This works well but requires a battery almost exactly the size of the provided one to fit securely. It is a very quick change, requires no velcro, and holds the battery firmly.

I've changed the motor to this one:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

Power draw is about 30% more than the stock motor and it performs very nicely now.

I don't understand why the supplied motor is 950KV. It just didn't provide enough power to really bring the plane to life. Many other Dynam planes use a 1100 KV that would have been perfect.

As much as I like the looks and general quality of this plane, I wouldn't be able to recommend it without a motor change - unless you're OK with about 80 watts/lb power.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 04, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:25 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
You should be able to run a larger pitch or diameter prop and get more power out of the stock motor. Higher C rated battery or better brand battery will help too. Youd' have to use a more common 2 blade prop and change the spinner though.

I tend to get apc e props from graves but never played much with 3 blade props.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jan 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
I've tried propping up - both pitch and dia; I can get a little more power draw but it flys no better and the motor sounds and feels over propped then.

Maybe I just got a weak motor in my plane, it did not seem to have the power and speed shown in the Nitro video. It does now with the motor change.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 06, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:53 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
The Dynam comes with lights and flap hookups, and the (slightly larger?) Airfield actually has both all hooked up and functional, as well as an "interior." So, Dynam or Airfield? How do they compare all around?

I want to get something like this and put a Spektrum Rx in it.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Last edited by hydro_pyro; Jan 06, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:22 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
OK, I pulled the trigger on one of these. Details to follow in a week or so...
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:41 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
"One of these" being the Dynam discussed in this thread?

I've got both the Dynam and Airfield (V3). Pros and cons for each. I gave my thoughts on this Dynam in several recent posts.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:54 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I'm getting the Dynam. I like the looks of this one, and I'm hoping that a better motor as you suggested will make a good flyer out of it. I'm going to put a AR6100e in it if all goes well. Thanks for your comments.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:11 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,637 Posts
Please post your observations after you get the plane. Maybe yours will have a little more power than mine did. Mine came with a red motor rated at 950 KV but looking exactly like the 1100 KV Dynam motor that's blue. The blue one would have powered the plane nicely.

You're right, this Dynam is really a looker - it's proportions are very near to the real plane. It looks very realistic in the air.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:59 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I'll try it with the stock motor first and see what she can do.

What kind of servos do I need to set up the flaps?