Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:19 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
The new one isn't raspy, it's smooth as butter. I remember when the original one sounded this way, before the first snowbank incident oon the frozen lake.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:58 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
I was able to get a Sky Trainer on the last day of the sale last week. And boy am I glad that I did! This is by far one of the best flying planes that I have ever owned! It is very big but also really light! I opted to hook up flaps on mine and am glad that I did! It is so nice to fly and really slows to a crawl with the flaps in place! Here are some pix of it. Believe it or not I had a mid air on my 4th flight which broke the motor shaft and I lost my spinner and prop. But I was able to find something that worked and got it flying again. It was kind of a blessing in disguise too! The stock prop looked and sounded great but wasn't the most efficient. So I changed to an APC 9X7.5 SF prop and it worked a lil better. Now I changed to a 10X4.7 to see if I can get even more thrust. It feels a lot stronger on the ground and when hooked up to the watt I got 310 watts and 26 amps. And the motor didn't heat up either. Great plane! Here are the pix I took....

Flaps

gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:39 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
You'll soon regreat installing the little antennas and the numbers. The antennas will catch on everything while you're handling the plane, and the seriouos guys at the field will make fun of the non-standard numbers.

Nice plane, flew mine a couple times last night.
The new replacement Dynam blue motor isn't as strong as the old one, though.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:59 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
You'll soon regreat installing the little antennas and the numbers. The antennas will catch on everything while you're handling the plane, and the seriouos guys at the field will make fun of the non-standard numbers.

Nice plane, flew mine a couple times last night.
The new replacement Dynam blue motor isn't as strong as the old one, though.
I have noticed that. But oh well....I still like it!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2004
118 Posts
I bought this as my second plane. Once I had it assembled I didn't want to fly it because I was affraid of damaging such a nice plane. I finally got the confidence last week and boy was I surprised!! This has got to be the best value for a scale plane possible!! I have both the dynam t-28 and dynam pby catalina, and I can't say enough good things about all of them. Yes they have their downfalls, mostly minor. But for $129 or less you just can't beat it. The 182 is on sale now for $89 and that is an absolute steal. With a small amount of flaps I greased this in on its first landing. It was textbook perfect and I've only been flying since early July So if you are thinking of trying the plane out I HIGHLY recommend it.
jacksonjrs is offline Find More Posts by jacksonjrs
Last edited by jacksonjrs; Oct 16, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjrs View Post
I bought this as my second plane. Once I had it assembled I didn't want to fly it because I was affraid of damaging such a nice plane. I finally got the confidence last week and boy was I surprised!! This has got to be the best value for a scale plane possible!! I have both the dynam t-28 and dynam pby catalina, and I can't say enough good things about all of them. Yes they have their downfalls, mostly minor. But for $129 or less you just can't beat it. The 182 is on sale now for $89 and that is an absolute steal. With a small amount of flaps I greased this in on its first landing. It was textbook perfect and I've only been flying since early July So if you are thinking of trying the plane out I HIGHLY recommend it.
It is truly an amazing machine! Here is my video of mine flying off of a narrow path at Baylands Park Sunnyvale, CA...

Dynam Skytrainer Cessna 182 at Baylands Park Sunnyvale, CA (3 min 50 sec)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:18 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjrs View Post
I bought this as my second plane. Once I had it assembled I didn't want to fly it because I was affraid of damaging such a nice plane. I finally got the confidence last week and boy was I surprised!! This has got to be the best value for a scale plane possible!! But for $129 or less you just can't beat it. The 182 is on sale now for $89 and that is an absolute steal. So if you are thinking of trying the plane out I HIGHLY recommend it.
I'm always amazed that this plane has gotten so little attention. It really is a nice flyer and a genuine steal for $89. Mine is approaching 200 flights with all original components and no problems whatsoever. I consider it the best purchase I've ever made in this hobby.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Hit a small pot hole in the ashpalt while taxiing at slow speed, pulled the nose wheel swivel plate loose and stripped the rudder servo. Darn...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:37 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Sep 2011
41 Posts
she does great for her very first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yupgotonemetwo
ians mustang is offline Find More Posts by ians mustang
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ians mustang View Post
she does great for her very first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/yupgotonemetwo
It was going great for a while! LOL I think that you may have been distracted by the little one in the background.... And also the things that you don't want to crash into often become the things you crash into because you are thinking about avoiding them....LOL
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,289 Posts
Dynam Cessna 182 to 180 Bush Plane Conversion

Hey there, I have followed this thread for some time and have always admired the praise that this plane has received and was wondering if anyone has ever thought of converting this plane into a 180 Bush Plane (tail dragger). I know that Dynam makes a newer Piper Cub, but it just doesn't look like it is up to par from what I have seen and heard. Plus, the Piper Cub doesn't come with the flap system like the Cessna does which is a big selling point for me.

My goal is to create a bush plane with this platform with oversize wheels and possibly add STOL capabilities to it. I would like to be able to create a plane that has the ability to make short take offs and landings in less than favorable ground conditions such as fields and dirt/rock roads. This would be difficult with the tricycle landing gear arrangement.

Here is a site that has some pictures and videos of the Cessna 180/185 for reference on what I am trying to accomplish...

http://www.bush-planes.com/Cessna-180-185.html

Here is a good picture...

Looks like the biggest challenge in performing this conversion would be converting the landing gear. It looks like the battery cover would have to be modified to allow the landing assembly to accupy some of the same space. Does it look like this could be done without major surgery or would it not be worth the trouble? Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA - KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Hey there, I have followed this thread for some time and have always admired the praise that this plane has received and was wondering if anyone has ever thought of converting this plane into a 180 Bush Plane (tail dragger). I know that Dynam makes a newer Piper Cub, but it just doesn't look like it is up to par from what I have seen and heard. Plus, the Piper Cub doesn't come with the flap system like the Cessna does which is a big selling point for me.

My goal is to create a bush plane with this platform with oversize wheels and possibly add STOL capabilities to it. I would like to be able to create a plane that has the ability to make short take offs and landings in less than favorable ground conditions such as fields and dirt/rock roads. This would be difficult with the tricycle landing gear arrangement.

Here is a site that has some pictures and videos of the Cessna 180/185 for reference on what I am trying to accomplish...

http://www.bush-planes.com/Cessna-180-185.html

Here is a good picture...

Looks like the biggest challenge in performing this conversion would be converting the landing gear. It looks like the battery cover would have to be modified to allow the landing assembly to accupy some of the same space. Does it look like this could be done without major surgery or would it not be worth the trouble? Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA - KMan
That is one of my all time favorite planes! And I was thinking the same thing. It won't be that hard to convert the plane and I think you could even use the main gear that comes with the plane. But if you haven't flown the plane in its current set up you need to! I don't have a video of me doing my "Bush" style of flying but I do it with this plane as well. We land on a path that is way too small for most airplanes. I am able to bring this plane in just barely over some tall reeds with full flaps and do a nose high landing with a very short roll out. It flies great as a trike gear plane so it may not totally be worth the conversion. Once you learn how to land it the nose gear doesn't pose a problem...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,289 Posts
Thanks for the response Gooniac I have no doubt that the tricycle gear work well, but I really want the ability to operate off of rough terrain. I don't think the nose gear would hold up over time. Plus, I was thinking of adding 3" or 4" size wheels if I was able to convert it to a tail dragger.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:46 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Thanks for the response Gooniac I have no doubt that the tricycle gear work well, but I really want the ability to operate off of rough terrain. I don't think the nose gear would hold up over time. Plus, I was thinking of adding 3" or 4" size wheels if I was able to convert it to a tail dragger.

KMan
Tail draggers are always better with rough terrain. but man....this stock set up works great when things get sorted out! I land on the mains and keep the nose up for a long time. Great flying plane!! Keep up posted if you set it up!!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:59 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Sep 2011
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
It was going great for a while! LOL I think that you may have been distracted by the little one in the background.... And also the things that you don't want to crash into often become the things you crash into because you are thinking about avoiding them....LOL
thank you, you made her day.
ians mustang is offline Find More Posts by ians mustang