HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:43 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I plan on maiden flight with no flaps. But after getting it trimmed out. I don't want the flaps snapping down real fast like they do. and causing a sudden nose up situation. I already have -12 down elevator dialed in. But will probably have to change that setting after I get it up...
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:56 PM
Put Your Hand under the Brick!
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Awesome plane

Hey guys, I have this plane too, and got to say its a hoot!!! I got about 12 flights on it. My landings are improving though.. . lolol. Want to share my two cents on this plane.

Rudder, nose wheel servo I did replace with a metal gear one, almost a must way better range and control, a lot stronger too.

My bad landings resulted in me redoing the mounting area for nose wheel.
I added an extra spring i made myself. I installed a 3 ply balsa skid plate so my shaft wouldn't cut through the foam. and i cut the foam holding the mounting spindle out and replaced with 3 ply balsa with small nail rivets. Also needed to add a spacer right above the shock area so the horn wouldn't rub and turn freely.(Spacer a must or you never get a full turn right an you will ware out the servo quicker.) As you can see i cut a area out for the push rod. Rod from servo to nose wheel is thicker too, biggest I could get into the horn connector.

I did the low profile Flap setup. was kinda of a pain but its slick. Works good too. HK HTX 900 servos, work well, saving up for a better Tx so I can set a flap nob for 10%, 20%, ect. flaps. Having the flaps come down so fast and full is tricky, got used to it so far.

I am getting about 15 to 16 min flight times out of my Zippy 2200 3s 20c
I usually fly with 1/2 thr. or a little less and is great, still real fast.

I did replace the Main gear mounting area again with 3 ply balsa epoxied to body and used metal mounting nuts and screws replacing the plastic mounting points. I don't have a pic of that, as its all together.

I have read all the post here and its been a lot of help. I broke my shaft on the motor and was able to purchase a replacement motor (Blue!!) from Greyson Hobby. And some other parts.

?? Question >>> Do we not have a replacement motor for this plane? something with proper shaft size, and length, or are we stuck getting the original "Blue" motors? I would like to get something else for it motor wise, but need to fit the cowl properly and such. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I would also like to use same 40 amp ESC. I really having a hard time looking for a motor for this thing as Nitroplanes seem to never have in stock.

Thanks for all the helpful hints guys!!

Laterz

Key
Keyholebud is offline Find More Posts by Keyholebud
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:23 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Most 2830 motors with about 1100 KV rating would work fine. Earlier I used this one for a short while:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

It worked OK but didn't have the power of the blue Dynam. Most motors this size aren't rated for 250 watts or so like the blue Dynam draws. I really think it's being overdriven but it seems to tolerate it well. I don't like the "raspy" sound of the Dynam motors but they get the job done and seem to last. So I've stuck with them.

The stock motor is available from Grayson here:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...or-p-1362.html
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Aug 09, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:32 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2010
3,469 Posts
Now on sale $79 I love mine. My peeps think it's cool too.
12345 is offline Find More Posts by 12345
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:54 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
My original Dynam battery supplied with my RTF version just reached the point that it's not usable - this after 174 flights.

I've made it a point to see just how much service I can get from this plane and a replacement battery is all that's been required; everything else is original. The wheels are very worn and will soon need to be replaced. I think this is just amazing durability from such an inexpensive setup.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 09, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
hey guys I know this is a stupid question but I have one of these and I'm putting it together right now, I've installed the flaps, and now I'm left with how do I keep the flaps servos in the wing? Should I glue them in? Tape them in? double sided tape or what??
CRU1Z3R is offline Find More Posts by CRU1Z3R
Old Aug 09, 2011, 08:48 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Two-sided tape works OK for a while, but they tend to come loose if you don't use hot glue.

I made covers for my flap servos.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Hydro what did you use to secure the plastic to the wing for the servo covers? Glue, tape? If you used hot glue what temp are you using, my wife has a few hot glue guns some high temp and some low....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:43 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
Some people tape over the servos too. I like to make sure they have a snug fit first. I gorilla glue only the vertical sides and not the bottom so I can cut them out later if needed.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 06, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
Put Your Hand under the Brick!
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Most 2830 motors with about 1100 KV rating would work fine. Earlier I used this one for a short while:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

It worked OK but didn't have the power of the blue Dynam. Most motors this size aren't rated for 250 watts or so like the blue Dynam draws. I really think it's being overdriven but it seems to tolerate it well. I don't like the "raspy" sound of the Dynam motors but they get the job done and seem to last. So I've stuck with them.

The stock motor is available from Grayson here:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...or-p-1362.html
I have ordered one, and just got in. going to put on this weekend and fly.
thanks for the link.
Keyholebud is offline Find More Posts by Keyholebud
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
12 Posts
Easy fix for covers for the flap servos I discovered for me was a Kroger's Shopping card cut in half, and rubber cemented it to the wing covering the servos, and painting it white....LOL works and looks pretty good...Just removed the slick coating off the card and was good to go....now tomorrow maybe my first maiden flight....
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Well, if you hesitated you lost. Nitro is now out of stock on the Rx ready version and the price is back to $99. A genuine bargain at $79 while they lasted.

Still a good buy for $125 for the RTF version. The Dynam 2.4 radio has worked fine and the supplied battery lasted 174 cycles.

I've really gotten my money's worth of enjoyment from this little sweetie.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:20 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,438 Posts
They still have the SR trainer for sale http://www.nitroplanes.com/respsa.html
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 05, 2011 at 07:14 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:52 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,670 Posts
Had the SR trainer for about 40 flights and sold it. It didn't fly nearly as well as the Cessna. It also had squirly ground handling and was very difficult to get nice landings with. Definitely my least favorite of the 6 Dynam planes I've had.

This Cessna is a much more satisfying performer.
Last edited by dbc; Aug 20, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 05:43 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Some people tape over the servos too. I like to make sure they have a snug fit first. I gorilla glue only the vertical sides and not the bottom so I can cut them out later if needed.
I am sorry but, using GORILLA glue would require chunks of Foam being take off the model in case you need to replace the servo. You really can not "CUT" into cured GORILLA glue and you might snap off the end of the knife tool you are using. I would use safety glasses if you are going to attempt to cut into the glue. Otherwise, you would need to cut adjacent to the cured Glue and cut away at fresh foam thereby, enlarging the area.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member