dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Discussion
Dynam Sky Trainer Cessna 182

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...w-rtf-24g.html

It just went up on the NitroPlanes site. Very little information about it. Just one picture of the box.

I'm a little "Cessna crazy" and have several different foam 172's, 182's and a 310. Each of them has some good and bad points but I've generally liked the 310 and the other 2 Dynam planes I have. Maybe this will be the 182 that gets everything right.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,743 Posts
http://www.dynam-rc.com/products/airplane/cessna.htm

EPO foam which is stronger than z-foam
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
That's the smaller Cessna with a 30 in wingspan. It's been around awhile. This new one is listed as 50 in span and appears to have nicer detailing such as clear windows and more scale wing and main gear struts.

I have 3 Dynam planes and their foam is so much nicer looking than others. Seems to be stronger too. It makes the ParkZone/HobbyZone planes look very crude by comparison.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:54 PM
Victorville, CA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
A guy brought one to the local field for a maiden flight last week. It flew well with no problems. He was quite pleased with it. However, the windows are not clear, just decals.
TriStar_drvr is offline Find More Posts by TriStar_drvr
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Seems like this new plane is being confused with the smaller Dynam Cessna - 30 in span with black stickers for windows.

The new one just appeared on Nitro site two days ago and is much larger and nicer looking than the smaller Cessna "400" that Dynam has had for a while.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
More pictures up on the Nitro site and this plane is definitely not related to the smaller one. It does have clear windows and much nicer detailing than the 400 sized one.

I think I'll give myself (another) early Christimas present, feed my Cessna addiction, and order one.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:22 PM
Victorville, CA
Joined Oct 2009
47 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong. The airplane I saw was this one.

http://www.bananahobby.com/2084.html

If you like Cessnas, you may like this one.
TriStar_drvr is offline Find More Posts by TriStar_drvr
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:19 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
I've got that one also!

It's the Art Tech 500 Class 182. Definitely the nicest looking foam 182 available. But ... it's got some issues (like all of them). It's AUW is a hair under 3 lbs - very heavy for this size foam plane. So it has to fly fast and land fast; not very relaxing to fly. The nose gear strut is way too flimsy and bends on anything but a perfect landing. This Art Tech is a nice plane but I'm still looking for a lighter one that flys a little slower and still has scale looks.

Anyway, there's more pictures of the Dynam Cessna up and a nice video of it flying. It looks like it might be a winner so I have one on the way. We'll see . . .
Last edited by dbc; Dec 24, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:18 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
They just came out with a video of it:
Dynam Cessna 182 Sky Trainer Brushless RC Plane Review (13 min 40 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 19, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:20 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,271 Posts
If it's a typical Dynam plane it's going to have some issues. All planes have some weak spots but the Dynams tend to have a rather large handful. As pointed out, the landing gear is often awful.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:58 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
I'd have to disagree. My three Dynam planes are generally designed as well or better than many others that cost far more.

The "awful" landing gear I discussed was on my Art Tech 500 Class Cessna - a plane costing nearly twice as much as this Dynam.

It's a little easier to forgive weaknesses in very inexpensive planes such as Dynams.
Last edited by dbc; Dec 19, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Just got this one today and I'm very impressed!

I've only dry fitted the components and tested the electronics but so far it looks to be really nice. Everything arrived in good condition. It's a little better packaged than previous Dynam planes and there's not a scratch or dent on mine anywhere.

The foam, like that in other Dynams, is so much nicer than others. It's actually so smooth it has a glossy finish. Only gluing is the wing halfs. The tail assembly fits together beautifully and bolts in place. The main gear strut is a nice solid piece of aluminum. Nose gear mounting could be better but still not too bad. It also has a compression strut.

Motor is the same 28-30 unit used in several other Dynams. I've now got 6 of these motors on 4 Dynam planes and they all have provided good service so far. They sound kind of raspy, but the two on my DC 3 have nearly 70 flights with no issues.

I'll try to get it together tonight and maybe do the maiden before Christmas.

Anyone else got one yet?
Last edited by dbc; Dec 24, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:04 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy893...w-rtf-24g.html

It just went up on the NitroPlanes site. Very little information about it. Just one picture of the box.

I'm a little "Cessna crazy" and have several different foam 172's, 182's and a 310. Each of them has some good and bad points but I've generally liked the 310 and the other 2 Dynam planes I have. Maybe this will be the 182 that gets everything right.
Did you see this one yet?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXADFW
Came today. Perfect timing.
Will maiden it tomorrow or Sunday.
I have one other Flyzone. Its Cessna 182 Skylane Select and I love it.
As for Cessnas I have Dynam's Cessna 550 (turbojet), Cessna 310 (Grand Cruizer) and have lots of fun with those and SkyArtech 182, which is way too fast.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:20 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Saw the Corvalis and like it a lot. Probably won't get one right away as the Dynam SR Trainer (Cirrus SR 22) is very similar. I have one and it's a real nice little plane - nabbed it on sale for $70 at Nitro which is a lot less than the Corvalis.

I HAD the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane and it was one of my favorite little flyers until the quick connector on the elevator servo arm loosened resulting in a destroyed plane. I got over 70 flight on it and really enjoyed them all.

Got this new one ready - assembly was a breeze, and may try for a Christmas maiden also.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
I haven't maidened the SkyTrainer yet but ran some power measurments. Power draw with stock setup is only about 185 watts at 15 amps. Prop rpm measures 8000.

I initially thought this was the same motor as other similar Dynam planes use but further checking shows a KV rating of 950 vs 1100 on the others. This explains the lower power draw.

The 1100 kv motor draws about 270 watts at 25 amps with the same 9x6x3 prop. RPM goes to 9050. That's really too much for a motor this size and could result in early failure - probably why they have stepped down to a 950 kv motor. The 1100 kv motor provides really strong performance in the Cirrus SR22 (SR Trainer). This Cessna, however, is not going to be nearly as powerful.

Winds howling here in FL for the next couple of days so a maiden to check performance will have to wait a while.
Last edited by dbc; Dec 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM.