Joined Jan 2010
5,102 Posts
I think Dave has a crush on Jenn...
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Aug 2010
197 Posts
Thanks for helping me out with my launches Paul! I was having so much fun that I forgot to get my parking pass before the office closed.

Here's the video:
ELDO DLG.wmv (5 min 11 sec)
Brain52 is offline Find More Posts by Brain52
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Be there, done that. And more than once this year. The DLG is fun!

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Brian
It was my pleasure helping you with your launches. You improved a tremendous amount in the short time we were working on it. Thanks for bringing the camera out.

By the way, if anyone is out there when Brian is there, ask to see his camera. His high-speed camera is awesome! Ask to get your launch filmed and then you can critique it yourself. Its an amazing tool! Thanks for posting the video, Brian.
Paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:11 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,465 Posts
My critique, FWIW.

Brian and Paul both have initial DLG rotation attitude that looks spot on. This should be carefully looked at and copied by anyone that tends to have their DLG "hug" their legs during the initial rotation. It is imperative to have the DLG in position and flying attitude when you start to really accelerate the DLG. The steps one takes seems to vary quite a lot amongst different folks and the results seem to be similar meaning that it does not seem to matter all that much. Paul's tail wag at release is the least that I remember ever seeing which I think is fantastic. The only thing I wonder about is if either of you guys could use a little more follow through. Not really sure though but it appears that your shoulders could use a little more rotation near release. Any comments?

All in all, excellent throwing and great video! Thanks Brian and Paul.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:50 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch-1 View Post
March 12-13 was a weekend to remember. Jun linked up with Joe Wurts, then aligned the Planets, and we had a S. California fun fly. Paul, Jun and George (F3K Team USA) were there...

Dave Runyon
I'm glad you put the Team USA thing in there. For a second, I thought you were talking about these guys...
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Paul's tail wag at release is the least that I remember ever seeing which I think is fantastic.
its all the new V2 Swindells verticals. I am really digging these tailfeathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
The only thing I wonder about is if either of you guys could use a little more follow through. Not really sure though but it appears that your shoulders could use a little more rotation near release.
duly noted, Charlie. thats a really good point. i think that follow-through is lacking in both launchers' technique. something we will both have to work on.

i am still just so impressed with Brian's launch. between the time that he arrived at the field and left, his launch improved so much! he is a really quick study. i kept trying to give him different tips but what i think worked the best for him was when i emphasized the first 180deg of rotation is actually really slow and only at the last 180deg of the planes rotation (or 90deg of the launcher's rotation) is when the speed increases a lot. this is where the explosion of power comes in and makes the arm act as the whip. he really took to his tip. after telling him this, his next launch was about twice as high as the previous launch...yeah, he is a quick study. thanks again for bringing the camera out, Brian and thanks for the advice, Charlie.
paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain52 View Post
Thanks for helping me out with my launches Paul! I was having so much fun that I forgot to get my parking pass before the office closed.

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvLt2UzWws

Great start there, Brain52.

Listen to what these guys are saying and keep them in mind. Your launch will develop on it's own with what you're most comfortable with.

Tips:
Try to take smaller/shorter steps and stay as 'tall' as you can. Long strides actually slow the spin down since it's harder for the hips to rotate freely and properly.
Follow through. Notice Paul's follow through-- That's one way to reduce the initial yaw (tail wag) after release.

Soar!
John Lenn... I mean- Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:05 AM
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Aug 2010
197 Posts
Thanks for all the advice! I went back today to get my parking permit, and a few more launches. I tried concentrating on getting the whip action down to the last 90 degrees of my launch, it's really cool listening to that whoosh as it goes up! I'll try to get out to Eldorado next Saturday, and Sunday at field of dreams to work on it some more.

Does anyone know of any used RES planes that may need a new home?

Thanks
Brian
Brain52 is offline Find More Posts by Brain52
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:56 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
I couldn't help myself...

"You say launch high,
and I say fly low.

Fly low, fly low

I don't know why you say
launch high,
I say fly low."
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Mar 28, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,085 Posts
you need to put that on a tshirt. it will sell like hot-cakes!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post

"You say launch high,
and I say fly low.

Fly low, fly low

I don't know why you say
launch high,
I say fly low."

THAT PICTURE IS HILARIOUS!!!

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,102 Posts
Jun, that picture makes you look tall!!!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly