HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:04 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,153 Posts
OK... With a clearer head and a few phone calls...

Since there's really not much we can do about El Dorado now, Plan B is now in effect.
Will redirect the efforts here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381932

We have Poway!
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Vista
Joined Jan 2008
592 Posts
Sweet! I am in on 2.4.

Dan
danfitz is offline Find More Posts by danfitz
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:08 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,153 Posts
Poway is still not definite, guys, ok? It would mean a 5 hour drive for Joe.

Jun
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:55 PM
Brad Willoughby
San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 2005
111 Posts
Contest for the 12th at Poway is on. Head on over to the new thread and post your name, class, and frequency.

See you all on Saturday. Hope especially to see Joe.

Cheers,
Brad
bradwill is offline Find More Posts by bradwill
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,153 Posts
The Fun Fly with JW is back on!

yippeee!!!

Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:29 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,153 Posts
JW, MoBros, Paul A. Weekend Funfly

March 12 and 13 Weekend Funfly with the Joe Wurts, Paul and the MoBros came and went in a flash. Time literally flew coz it was a lot of fun.
There was a temporary hiccup in the organization because we lost the use of El Dorado Park in Long Beach due to a TV filming but with the help of Lex M. and Mark C. the funfly went ahead in a private location in Downey.
Saturday started at around 9am once the gates opened and immediately DLGs started launching! The MoBros are first to the field as always. Their enthusiasm and dedication to this sport is unequaled. Folks continued to come in and pretty soon we had DLGs, TD and F3B planes being launched.
I thought it was great to have such an informal gathering of people, flying anytime they wanted without the stresses of a competition environment. Of course, whenever there's a gathering of DLG pilots there's always the call for AULD mini contests! Who won??? Who knew? No one really cared. But on a few occasions you'll hear "HA! I beat Joe on that one!" Fun stuff!
I wont mention any names but there were a few "Ooooops and Ouches!' moments. Broken booms, exploding planes, mid-airs and roof landings... You know who you are! Hahahahaha!
One of the more memorable moments: I was helping Dave R with his plane/radio and I noticed Joe just standing in the middle of the field. I told Dave to watch and then Joe gives it a 5 foot handtoss, started circling and started skying out. I had to go to Joe and ask how, what, where and when and before you knew it Joe was doing a show and tell to a bunch of guys in the middle of the field! Classic!
This started the '30 foot launch AULD', 'Launch to the sink' mini contests! It was great! Everyone was flying low and it was amazing to see how focused a pilot can get when plane is so close. I've always said 'Launch high, fly low', but in Joe's case it was more 'Toss low and fly even lower'!!!
The Saturday funfly ended at Matt and Beth's amazing home and backyard with beers, burgers with all the sides and trimmings, Tai's Brazilian BBQs and Beth's incredible chocolate chip cookies! Looked like everyone was stuffed. At the end of the evening I wanted another cookie-- They were all gone!!! Tai took the last one!!!

The funfly continued on to Sunday at the Riverside ISS club field. As always, the MoBros, Paul A. and Dave R. were the first. After a jcats breakfast in Lake Elsinore, Joe and I headed to the field. Fun times again as we all flew til past 2pm and completely forgot about lunch!

Huge thanks to all who made this all possible. Lex, Mark, you two saved this funfly! Matt and Beth, thank you for opening your home and amazing backyard to a bunch of young-at-hearts. Thanks to Bob, Mike Lee and the ISS club for letting a bunch of DLG invaders in and take over the field for a couple of hours!

Thanks to Joe for taking the time to hang out over the weekend, Dave for flying in from CO, the MoBros and Jen for trekking from AZ and everyone who joined the funfly. I hope you had a good time. I know I did! We need to do more of these!

Soar!
Jun
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
At the end of the evening I wanted another cookie-- They were all gone!!!
Don't worry, Jun. Rumor has it there may be some cookies headed to St. George...

Seriously - even though I didn't take part in Sunday's party, Saturday was a load of fun. It was great to have everybody over for happy hour!

-m@
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Yes, I took last two cookies only after wondering why everybody was packing some home! Thanks to Matt and Beth, Joe and Jun. I hope not to have to choose between DLG and beer next time...
tai626 is online now Find More Posts by tai626
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Matt:
Just let you know that the 5 ch Vandal works! Thx! Next one is a 3ch
Tai
tai626 is online now Find More Posts by tai626
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:08 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,378 Posts
Big Ditto to everything Jun said!!!!! Ton's of fun and well worth the trek! We made it home by 7:30pm on Sunday and I am off to see if I can get a couple of hours sleep before an early show to work in the morning. Thanks everyone! Yes, lets do it again sometime.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:59 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,656 Posts
Man what can I say as Jun covered it well. Joe it was cool to meet you and see you in action. Matt, Beth and Lex was great food and beer. Tai made Brazilian meats was very good. Bob with Soaring USA, Chico and the rest of the River side gang thanks for letting us fly with you all. Mark thank for letting us fly with you and your gang. To all California you ROCK. Dave R kid in candy store will try to get some pics to you all.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,837 Posts
Back home now, catching up on things after the journey home.

A super enjoyable weekend for me, flying and telling tall tales with a bunch of enthusiasts. Got to meet a lot of new and old friends. Jun really went the extra mile to ensure that I was well taken care of during my stay. My appreciation to Mark and his group for allowing us to sorta take over their little field on Saturday to play with our toys. The day was made special with the evening social event afterwards (thx M&B!). Good thing I stole a couple of those yummy cookies near the end of the evening so that I had sustenance the next day on the field (although I think I ate enough tasty food Sat nite to last me about two days).

One thing that sticks out in my mind was the level of enthusiasm for soaring in general and DLG in particular from everyone. Watching everyone flying around and snagging thermals all over the field was quite satisfying to me. The variety of impromptu "tasks" was excellent, and the openness of everyone to try anything at least once was fun to be a part of. If I could only figure out a way to capture the level of enthusiasm of the people on the field... hard to describe in txt. I would award Dave R with the enthusiast of the day award for Saturday. (BTW, I took note of your technique of waiting a couple of seconds to pick your choice of sky, and also noticed that it seemed to work very well for you!)

The USA will be very well represented in Sweden! Flying against the USA F3K team was quite humbling at times. This was a good thing for me, as it was a reminder for me that practicing once a month is not the path to success... And beyond the flying skillz shown, the team is "good people".

It was also a really nice day on Sunday at the ISS field, with a little bit of flying, and a little bit of visiting, along with a few more tall tales shared. Saw some fliers there that I have not seen in a looong time. Next time I visit I am bringing some milk bone snacks so that Bailey doesn't eat all the fruit from the neighboring avocado orchard.

Again, thank you Jun for organizing this fun-fly and social event and for making me feel so welcome.

Joe

PS The launch low thing was only suggested because it was the only way I had a chance in competing against you guys. It did take a while for me to figure out a way to bring you all down to my altitude! Please go back to only practicing with full throws!

PPS I really wish that I was still in the states so as to attend the St George event this coming weekend. After meeting Dave R, I know it will be one of those must attend events.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
Joined Aug 2003
4,153 Posts
Hey Mr. Joe,
Glad you made it home safely!
Thanks! It was a pleasure and honor to have you over and fly with us. The funfly was made possible because of good friends pitching in.
My wife and kids want to say 'Hi'... especially RJ- He found my current AMA magazine and pointed you out and kept saying 'Papa! Look! it's Mr. Joe!'
Next time you're in town, let me know and maybe we'll bug the San Diego crew.

Jun
Last edited by jcats; Mar 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:22 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Back home now, catching up on things after the journey home...

...PPS I really wish that I was still in the states so as to attend the St George event this coming weekend. After meeting Dave R, I know it will be one of those must attend events.
Sure wish you could have made it Joe. That would have been awesome to have you here! Maybe next year?

Mike Maurer
Chairman
Utah DLG
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:34 AM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,455 Posts
This Side of Heaven

March 12-13 was a weekend to remember. Jun linked up with Joe Wurts, then aligned the Planets, and we had a S. California fun fly. Paul, Jun and George (F3K Team USA) were there plus some other locals and we flew and flew. It was a super learning experience for me. Everyone was relaxed, and eager to share ideas on piloting, building, and eating Beth Nelson's fabulous cookies Saturday evening at Nelson Park (N. Tustin home). They have done a beautiful job zeroscaping their yard.
Saturday we flew on a school yard in Downey, then Sunday did a half day at Riverside....two drastically different fly fields. I learned a ton getting to hang out with these talented guys, and the best lesson was doing easy toss launch to get up 30 feet and work the low level air. That was also great to sit on the grass and overhand toss the ship to verify thermals. The sitting launches were 6'! Joe also hand launched his Supra and worked a three minute flight that didn't seem to get much more than 25' altitude. Learning to read the air is as much fun to me as flying......well almost.

Special thanks to Joe and the Morris brothers for traveling a long way to hang out in a no tension atmosphere to soar.

Thanks guys for letting this mountain soar guy share the sea level air with you. I love this hobby and the attached society. Just like the last time I flew in California, I got sunburned legs------it hurts so good.

Dave Runyon
Launch-1 is offline Find More Posts by Launch-1
Last edited by Launch-1; Mar 26, 2011 at 08:19 PM.