A truly SLICK product (for hunters)

>>>> http://ghostblind.com/ghostblind-3d.html
realtimerecon is online now Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
That's the same trick they used for Luke's Landspeeder in Star Wars to make it look like it was levitating.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
I'm thinking these would be a great tool for our combat troops fighting in the desert
Imagine a platoon w/these ? Or even bigger blinds(possibly in 360 degree configuration) .That you could hide a bunker behind,even a Abrams tank . There's no place to hide in the desert. Might as well hide in plain sight.For permanent positions steel plating inside the blind and (angled) up would deflect incoming small rounds fire.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Only problem I can see (no pun intended) is that if it hit the sun at the wrong angle you would have the opposite effect and be advertising your position for miles around.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:31 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,801 Posts
Yea, nuttin like a big flashlight to give your location away.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:40 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
Only problem I can see (no pun intended) is that if it hit the sun at the wrong angle you would have the opposite effect and be advertising your position for miles around.
The panels (4 of then) are cut w/the proper angle into them.So when the unit is unfolded the correct down ang. is attained.Then the unit is secured via 3 tie downs (like used w/tents).This keeps it in position.So wind won't blow it down.The only way someone/something will see the blind is at 5 Ft. away(from the front ) it's image will be seen.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
see video
GhostBlind #1 - Invisible Mirror Ground Hunting Blind (2 min 46 sec)
Last edited by realtimerecon; Dec 11, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
...or start a grass fire in front of you.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:11 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
...or start a grass fire in front of you.
Ya, that just may give up your position.

This is a pretty cool idea and could be useful but it does have some potential pitfalls for any sort of military use.

I noticed that the demo vids all seemed to have been shot in overcast conditions.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:32 PM
trying to miss the ground
United States, ID, Rigby
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
I can see how it could present some serious problems in low-light-angle situations around sunrise or sunset, or near water, or in the wind.....basically the most common conditions that I hunt in. Maybe if there was a polarized filter layer that could cut glare a little bit. I guess I would have to walk around one in person to make a real informed decision.
blademaker22 is offline Find More Posts by blademaker22
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:26 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blademaker22 View Post
I can see how it could present some serious problems in low-light-angle situations around sunrise or sunset, or near water, or in the wind.....basically the most common conditions that I hunt in. Maybe if there was a polarized filter layer that could cut glare a little bit. I guess I would have to walk around one in person to make a real informed decision.
As far as sun reflections goes the only thing reflecting in it would be the ground. Since the panels tilt forward at the top any light source like the sun hitting it would be reflected onto the ground in front of it and you wouldn't see any reflection at all.

As a quick experiment get a handheld mirror and angle the top forward towards you, then take a flashlight and shine it on the mirror from all different angles. You'll see that the flashlight beam gets reflected at your feet and you can't see it at all, and the only time you can see it is if the flashlight is below the level of the mirror and pointing up at it. That means the only time you'd see a sun reflection in the hunting blind is if you had it on the top of a mountain or hill with the sun below you, or if you were trying to use it in a tree stand.

You could cheat at pool like that using a mirror and a flashlight or laser to get the right angle for the pocket too.

If I had one of those mirrored hunting blinds I'd make mine go the whole way around me, put it on a rotating platform, put some turntables, speakers, lasers, and dry ice inside of it, and have a party out in the woods.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:09 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
There have been MANY takes on this concept for years......At least at the past ten SHOT Shows.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,279 Posts
..... http://ghostblind.com/resources/no-sun-reflections.pdf
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
trying to miss the ground
United States, ID, Rigby
Joined Oct 2008
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
As far as sun reflections goes the only thing reflecting in it would be the ground. Since the panels tilt forward at the top any light source like the sun hitting it would be reflected onto the ground in front of it and you wouldn't see any reflection at all.

As a quick experiment get a handheld mirror and angle the top forward towards you, then take a flashlight and shine it on the mirror from all different angles. You'll see that the flashlight beam gets reflected at your feet and you can't see it at all, and the only time you can see it is if the flashlight is below the level of the mirror and pointing up at it. That means the only time you'd see a sun reflection in the hunting blind is if you had it on the top of a mountain or hill with the sun below you, or if you were trying to use it in a tree stand.

You could cheat at pool like that using a mirror and a flashlight or laser to get the right angle for the pocket too.

If I had one of those mirrored hunting blinds I'd make mine go the whole way around me, put it on a rotating platform, put some turntables, speakers, lasers, and dry ice inside of it, and have a party out in the woods.
Yeah, I saw that it would angle the reflected light downwards. What I was worried about is the reflected light showing up unnaturally on the surrounding foliage, especially if the blind was moving a bit in the breeze.
blademaker22 is offline Find More Posts by blademaker22
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:02 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
When ideally sited in the proper light conditions I am sure it works pretty well.
During set up, if sited on a hilltop or buffeted by wind in direct sunlight I can picture it being a bit problematic though.