SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:50 PM
Durham, UK
Joined Sep 2006
307 Posts
I have just completed a gas powered Morane Saulnier build which may be of interest:
http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,68602.0.html
Pluriel (aka Tiposx)
pluriel is offline Find More Posts by pluriel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,835 Posts
Nice one Pluriel. If I had the guts I'd try the BUSA 1/3 scale version.

If I may be so bold...one of the fliers out here has several of the BUSA 1/4 scale WWI planes. They sound so cool I had to ask him what engines he was using. He said his secret was to use an engine one size larger than recommended, then fly it at less than half throttle with a prop almost too big for the motor. I think he said he was running around 3k RPM at cruise speed.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:52 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Pluriel - I have been watching your progress over on RCMF - it has been very useful!
Charlie - dont tempt me by talking about 1/3 scale AIs! - 1/6 is bad (good) enough.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:37 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,835 Posts
But Pat, you need to up the scale a little bit after you finish the SPAD
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:44 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Bigger than the SPAD? hmmm....

The upper fuselage half is basically done and now the second one is on the board. The odd stained bits of woodwork, are areas that will be hard to get to later and wont be seen much anyway

The three brass tubes are to secure the strut ends - Pete's original design had the CS struts integral with the fuselage but I am doing it just a bit different in this bigger version.

Well, back to the underside half......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:15 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
looking fantastic Pat, she is still coming along very quickly considering it is slowing up, didn't have any grief cutting your resized formers.

craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:37 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
The three brass tubes are to secure the strut ends - Pete's original design had the CS struts integral with the fuselage but I am doing it just a bit different in this bigger version.

Pat
I never figured you to modify one of Pete's designs Pat.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:15 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Charlie - I need to have a little bit of 'me' in the model

Craig - when I say slow, I was really referring to Charlie's build where he was crowing about having it all framed up in a few hours

The former cutting was not as bad as I feared - I'm using the same thickness wood as in the original and 1/8 liteply and balsa is easily cut with a knife. Esp. as Pete has thoughtfully made flats between the stringers - easy! The only problem was with the grain direction, the rear formers were a bit fragile (or I am getting clumsy) hence the diagonal 1/8 sq bracing ! I only cut the stringer slots in the front formers and then marked, cut and filed the remaining notches using a stringer as a guide - worked fine.

I'm still pondering how to fit internal horns on both rear surfaces - in the real thing, the hinge lines are staggered - the rudder post is slightly in front of the elevator - I need to work that stuff out before joining the halves (and a lot of other stuff!)

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 05:30 PM
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Mar 2007
2,219 Posts
Subscribed.
Buzzkill2 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzkill2
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:34 AM
Macarthur Region of Southwest Sydney
Joined Feb 2009
103 Posts
Yes Pat, many model plan designers realign scale tail surface hinge lines to coincide and I've often wondered why. Maybe Peter can chime in with the answer? Dick
evvo is offline Find More Posts by evvo
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:34 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,758 Posts
Well, they may align on the plan Pat is looking at, but they don't on the one I have, the rudder hinge line is definitely in front of the elevator hinge line. Not a lot, but in front nonetheless.

I can't comment on other designers, and why they do what they do. These days, since using CAD and tracing outlines from 3 view drawings, if something is off-set, it carries through onto the plan - unless there's a good reason not to. Then again, sometimes we simply forget the off-set is supposed to be there. Afterall, these are only sport scale models.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 18, 2010, 06:38 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Let's not jump to conclusions here - Pete DOES show the hinge lines staggered - but with some external linkage. My problem is that there is very little room in the small tail-cone area to extend the rudder post AND the elevator link with their horns inside the fuselage. Even in this bigger model, it is going to be tight - esp. as I have a former in the way!
....where there's a will there's a way!
I take it that your CAD system is up and running again Pete

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,758 Posts
Would it be any easier to use a pulley style system in the tail cone, so you don't need as much space?

I knew your plan didn't really show no stagger mate, it's exactly the same one I was looking at.

Yep, a new (ish) computer has TurboCAD running smoothly again. Obviously one of the disc-check operations, where it truncates faulty file strands, truncated something pretty vital. TC simply refused to load properly, even after taking overnight to load anything at all. Strange really because everything else seemed to work just fine - if not at lightspeed. Numerous attempts to reload the programme made no difference at all.
After spending a couple of days transfering all the needed files to disc, ready to install on the new pc when I need them (or forget what's on the discs) maybe it's time to try running the recovery disc. Lets face it, it can't do any harm.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:50 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Peter,

I've PM'd you with a few suggestions that may ( or may not ) help with your TurboCAD issues.

Randy
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:28 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
It appears you are modeling my avatar.
Very nice Pat!
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D