HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:24 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Details Drag on ........

I'll remember that Charlie

I finished the wing-top dummy mounting hardware for the struts, added a less-than-satisfactory mirror (but it does reflect) and the blisters over the aileron horns.

The aileron horn covers were pressed using a shaped wooden plug into a slot using a scrap of .010 styrene sheet. They are fixed in place using beaut little 'lag screws' from MicroMark. The horns are fixed in place with grub scews and may need final tweeking one day so the covers can be unscrewed just like the real thing

The mirror is a bit of aluminised card with a painted surround. If I can find a better 'mirror' material some time, I may replace it.

I still havent done the pilot's seat and control column - maybe next.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:43 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
The aileron horn covers were pressed using a shaped wooden plug into a slot using a scrap of .010 styrene sheet.
Isn't that clever. That looks like a possiblity for doing louvers also. I will have to keep that in mind.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
A Nice Day Out......

I took a day off building and visited a local club's Scale Day. There are at least 6 clubs within a 50mile radius of home so plenty of activity to choose from! Probably the most impressive model in the air was a huge electric Amiot 163 from the Traplet plans and having three scratch-built French aircraft seen together was a rare photo opportunity - probably not to be repeated in our area.
The Potez won First prize in the Civilian scratch build section but due to rising winds, was the only model I flew. Bothe Morane Saulnier and the Rake Albatros DXI recieved a lot of interest - they were different

Here are a few pictures - one rather poor shot shows the AI's cockpit with pilots seat and stick barely visible in the shadows. Only Carby intakes, foot step, seatbelts/pilot and a couple of filler caps to go......then a dreaded maiden

Now all my ramblings can be transferred to the Fokker D.VII build thread. In the meantime, Peter wants his DXI article written. No rest yet!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,141 Posts
Never could understand how someone could build a beautiful airplane like that Amiot and then cover it in that gawd awful plastic film.

Congrats on the Potez prize.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:02 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
Yes Larry - a spray of dull-coat would have made it look more realistic. The model had a sound system and looked magnificent in the air. So it should - it is a BIG wing!
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:59 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
I was sent some photos of the AI at a flying day just before I'd 'finished' her (no rigging and aother sundries). Even though of low resolution, they looked quite nice. The AI wont fly for a while yet because I nicked the motor to fit in Peter Rake's new DVII design. I must order a new one

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:51 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
822 Posts
If it weren't for the out-of-scale grass, it would look like the real thing to me. Brilliant work! I think she wants to get in the air and show off what she's capable of.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:50 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,737 Posts
Not out of scale grass, those are long weeds

Good looking plane there Pat!

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:26 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
Pat,

Did you ever fly the MS?

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jul 05, 2014, 04:46 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,852 Posts
No Jim - she was taxied around a few times - I was worried about the looooong CF torque rods to the ailerons - they seem a bit twisty. Then I stole the motor - it's in the Fokker DVII iirc and so it hangs from my shop ceiling
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:35 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,652 Posts
That is a shame Pat. A model this nice really needs some air time. Plus the AI is a really good flyer. My club friend has the Balsa USA 1/3 scale version and he has let me get some stick time on it. Flies deceivingly faster than expected but very predictable. I have never used CF so don't know how flexible they might be. I have used some flexible music wire in some small models and they flew just fine. I never noticed the difference.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Last edited by JIMA; Jul 05, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:32 AM
Clancy
Davis,CA US
Joined Jun 2005
512 Posts
In one of my Cross and Cockade journals there was a pilot that tested many of the planes by wars end including the Camel the Fokker DVII and VIII and the MS AI. He thought the Morane Saulnier AI was the best fighter of the war. It is a pretty plane I am sure it is nice to admire it from time to time. I would hang it in the living room.
Clancy is offline Find More Posts by Clancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clean Jokes