HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:26 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
My new sloper, Nigel Hawes Tucano

Here's my latest sloper ready to go.........Nearly.

I got a set of free plans with a copy of RCM&E (i think) of Nigel Hawes Tucano.
With the cost of 600 size electric setup (work is not good lately I decided to try one as a sloper.
ALL BALSA! construction, 9mm flat plate wing with my sanded airfoil. "PG01" I called it, and no you can't have it!
The plans are 45" but i stretched another 2 " onto it.
It was covered in plain old contact. The cost of ripoff cover annoys me, 20 something dollars for a roll of "pro-sloar-etc film" sucks, so for $6.00 it's covered as you see. Dosen't shrink much I just use a hairdryer on the corners to tidy it up a bit.
Decals are printed on gloss paper and zapped onto covering.

AUW weight came in at 1200 grams (42oz) on my cheap scales , so i'm expecting it to be reasonably fast on a good day. Most of the weight was balancing as the nose was waiting for a motor!
I left out the rudder on the plans but most else was straight from the plans.

If anyones been over to open discussion lately, the thread on Nigels plane is huge, 965 posts! and rising, so i think a powered one for me will be on the cards soon.

Hope you like it
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:29 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
A closer photo one.
I still have to fit the fit the spinner properly, fit the wing fillets and permanently attach wing but other than that it's ready for a windy day.

I hope it dosen't buy the farm first time out !!!!!! Balsa hates me badly.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 09:32 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
And i haven't forgotten my BAE hawk, i just get distracted easily
I need to buy some decent wing servos for it and i had all the stuff for the tucano ready to go.

I hope i'm not the only one that starts building another plane whilst they have another 3 at the moment waiting to be finished!

Cheers
Paul
Old Jul 20, 2003, 02:54 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2002
304 Posts
I'm sicker...

Quote:
I hope i'm not the only one that starts building another plane whilst they have another 3 at the moment waiting to be finished!
I guess I need to seek professional help. My ratio is about 1 : 8. Been that way for years. I guess in a way I'm always surrounded with friends!
SpiritQuest is offline Find More Posts by SpiritQuest
Last edited by SpiritQuest; Jul 20, 2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 04:36 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
Great looking sloper Gouch! I didn't even think of doing a sloper Tucano, I think you're the first to build one from Nigel's plans. Can't wait for the flight report.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jul 20, 2003, 06:18 PM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
When we get some decent winds our way, i will let you know how it goes.
Jeff, just noticed where you live and i must say it's an extremely beautiful looking area, love to go there one day.
I don't think you could get much further away from where I am!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 06:25 PM
Insert custom witicism
San Diego
Joined Jun 2001
3,526 Posts
It's definately goregous here, if you get the chance, come one up! We've got a mountain here that has good wind from North, East and South or any combination of the three. Still looking for a decent West facing slope.

Jeff
Jeff Charlot is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Charlot
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:03 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,037 Posts
I've built about 6 Tucanos over the last 10 years. They fly super. I have two still. A 44" version and a 54" version. The small one was one of the best flying little birds I ever had. It weighed in at just over 30 ounces and was a blast to fly in light to medium winds. The bigger Tucano is about 50" and it's like flying a pattern plane on the slope. It's rock solid and sooo stable, just a joy to fly.

I hope yours flies as well.

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 21, 2003, 05:29 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
TFLG:

Have you ever used a flate plate type wing on any of your planes?

I made sure the LE was nice and rounded but at only 9.5 mm thick balsa you can only round it off so far.
It's not true flat as i drew a line where the max thickness would be and shaped an airfoil into it. The bottom however is flat.
The electric guys love the way it flies and have no probs with it, just after your opinion.

Cheers
Paul
Old Jul 21, 2003, 08:38 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,037 Posts
I have not tried a flat plate. I have tried airfoils with almost zero camber though. The fastest plane I have right now is a Me-109 with a very thin wing and a custom airfoil that has almost no camber (and no lift). It's really slippery but needs a good blow to get it going. I don't think I would try a flat plate on anything bigger than a 99c balsa chucker glider. It might fly but I don't think I could stand to look at a flat plate. Besides sheet balsa would never hold up to the Southern California slope terrain (or heat).

TFLG
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 22, 2003, 03:54 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
Here's a close up of the shape of the wing.
It's more of a foil than a flat late when you look at this view.
Maybe i should have sanded a more symetric foil into the bottom as oposed to flat like this one is.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 03:56 AM
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
13,756 Posts
oops, pressed the wrong button
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:43 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Heck Gouch just try it out and see how it works! If it sucks build a new wing from EPP or something
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member