HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:29 PM
United States, TX, Amarillo
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
Build Log
Tomboy 1st balsa plane build

well i started the build after a quick trip th the lhs and print shop the build has began. I have been working on it for about a week it went really quick the first night doing the stick part of the build bu trying to cut the formers it been trying any suggestions on quicker easier cutting would be great.

Thanks
Paul
paulmont1719 is offline Find More Posts by paulmont1719
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
more pics
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Your Tomboy is looking good Paul. Cutting parts isnt exact, if the parts are a little small or large, sand the largest to match the smallest until all uniform. Keep trying

Scott
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:11 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
Looking good. What engine? Electric or IC? Just that I don't see any engine bearers.

Balsa formers are not hard to cut with a sharp knife or a fine blade saw......best to use a saw for the ply formers though.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
Going with a blue wonder type motor from heads up the ply it what sucks to cut
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:12 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,738 Posts
Thats perfect ! And straight I never use ply, just laminate balsa - so I've never had to cut it. Good job there, you're going to love this little plane
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:51 AM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
It is easy to cut aircraft ply 1/16" or lite-ply up to 3/16" with a box cutter type knife. You just make several passes with the knife bearing down harder with each cut. A small tri-square (sp) is your best friend when building. The Lowe's here has a nice 6" square in the General brand specialized tool section.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
A few more questions as far as laminating a know the concept but what do you use epoxy or wood glue? A small how to would be help full. Also i was thinking of getting a disc sander or scroll saw today which one would be best to get first?
Thanks for all the help

Paul
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,738 Posts
Paul - my way of laminating comes out a little heavy but reasonably strong. The only place I use this is really for motor mounts,dihedral braces or a bulkhead that keeps breaking. If the plane specifies, say, 3mm ply - I take 3 sheets of 1mm balsa and glue them together with the grain running at right angles. The glue I use is epoxy but very very thinly spread. I then wrap my "sandwhich" in greaseproof paper and put some heavy books on it and leave it to dry for 24 hours. I then unwrap it and sand it to shape. This is not as strong or light as ply, but works for me in small areas (I can't find anywhere locally to buy thin plywood). On some builds, I have substituted balsa instead of ply with no problems - but this isn't a good idea on wings or wing braces (and can be kind of embarressing).

As far as tools go, the most usefull one I got was "high speed mini rotary tool" - basically a dremel.

I'm sure other guys have got better ways of doing this?

If you mean laminating outlines of wing tips or rudders or such, someone else will have to help out. For this I wet the wood, bend it around pins and throw thin ca on. This works after a fashion, but is not pretty and is a pain to sand smooth.

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmont1719 View Post
A few more questions as far as laminating a know the concept but what do you use epoxy or wood glue? A small how to would be help full. Also i was thinking of getting a disc sander or scroll saw today which one would be best to get first?
Thanks for all the help

Paul
Laminating sheet parts - use a contact glue (e.g. Evostik). The water in wood glue often warps sheeted parts.

Laminating strip parts - I use steam to soften the strips and pins to hold them in the desired shape (some people make a card or wood template). Then I use white wood glue (PVA) and more pins to stick the strips together (let each one dry before gluing the next one).

In my opinion disk sanders are of limited use. For straight cuts, a small table saw or bandsaw are best. Some people use scroll saws but I tried one and didn't manage to get any better results than I get with some sanding tools and a sharp modelling knife.

I use one of these (one of my most used tools):
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG876&P=7
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
got some work done today rudder half a wing and a little front end work
Last edited by paulmont1719; Dec 11, 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Hi Paul

It looks like you have the balsa thing down pat

Remember you need an elevator and rudder if it is going to be rc

Try to move all radio ,esc, servos to the front.

I used a 2S 20C 800mah lipo battery and velcro the batt to the inside firewall.

Keep up the good work.

Scott
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
the rudder is split in half and haven't figured out the the elevator
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:45 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
This is the R/C Tomboy plans. It show about the elevator and rudder. Also when making balsa parts, use the grain of the wood , like the rudder.

You are learning fast now, it wont be long before you start building the airplane of your dreams. All it takes is practice and a some good advice from friends.

Scott
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:24 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Hey Paul,
Your build is coming on well.
I agree, cutting ply is a pain, like Owl, I too in the past have used laminated cross grain balsa ply, and find it to be very useful in many applications.

With 'proper' ply, I usually try to cut parts out with a pair of strong scissors and that works well for outside cuts. Though it is a little wasteful when having to start cutting a square piece from a sheet to make a curved former say.

Still have to use the old fashioned multi pass knife method on the inner surfaces though.

Just smile and have patience. ;-)
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59