HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
Discussion
Your Custom AR Drone

I just purchased an AR Drone ($250 ) and I wanted to see what you guys are doing to yours.

I've seen carbon fiber wrap on the outdoor hull, but what else.

Show me lights, custom hulls, mods, etc...I want to see what sets your drone apart from the others.

Can I order/find cheaper batteries? How can I get them to work?

Thanks!
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
OK...I may be only one posting here...

Here are some mods I've seen. Pretty cool!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Bottom line for me is that the drone is fine as is.

I build stuff but seldom bother fancying up the stuff that I buy. In fact, a while back I bought a four meter, scale, fully molded sailplane and I never did get around to putting the decals on! Not only that, but the decals were scale factory decoration.

I am curious what people come up with though and if I see a practical improvement I would consider incorporating it on my drone

I really like the thing but consider it a utilitarian flying machine rather than a show piece. I am not one of those guys that pinstripes his tractor though I would be quick to get things I need. Like my friend's back hoe for his John Deere. Small, but beats digging by a wide margin.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:04 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
Check out this one!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:13 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Bottom line for me is that the drone is fine as is.

I build stuff but seldom bother fancying up the stuff that I buy.

I am curious what people come up with though and if I see a practical improvement I would consider incorporating it on my drone

Pete
Hey Pete,

I wouldn't call it "fancying up". I would call it customization. It simply sets your Drone apart from the rest. It's also part of the reason we're all in this hobby. Experimentation. What works, what doesn't. What makes my Drone/heli/plane look and/or fly differently from yours.

As far as practical improvements...try removing the brass bushings and replacing them with sealed ball bearings. They reduce friction, improving motor efficiency which in turn could provide longer flight times from your battery. They also reduce any vibration and could make your Drone last longer.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
Dude

that looks sick.

Is it possible to add in a different RX and use a better TX for even greater range?

or would the mixing needed be too much to work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Check out this one!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:02 PM
Iowa USA
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
I just finished upgrading the bronze bushings to sealed ball bearings but there's not much to see there.

I demonstrated it to a guy that builds carbon fiber bike parts and after he took it for a flight and catching his breath was thinking about a complete remake of the hull in carbon fiber. I'll keep you posted if anything comes of this.

I hope that parrot opens up the firmware to allow customization like the addition of GPS and autonomous flight plans.
voxelman is offline Find More Posts by voxelman
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:58 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Hey Pete,

I wouldn't call it "fancying up". I would call it customization. It simply sets your Drone apart from the rest. It's also part of the reason we're all in this hobby. Experimentation. What works, what doesn't. What makes my Drone/heli/plane look and/or fly differently from yours.

As far as practical improvements...try removing the brass bushings and replacing them with sealed ball bearings. They reduce friction, improving motor efficiency which in turn could provide longer flight times from your battery. They also reduce any vibration and could make your Drone last longer.
Excellent!

All you guys out there customize your drones and I won't have to do anything to stand out in a crowd!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:02 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Is it possible to add in a different RX and use a better TX for even greater range?
or would the mixing needed be too much to work out?
Yes, it's possible, but expensive (over $500) when you include the cost of the Drone itself. Check this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335257

Also, there is a guy selling his here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=drone
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:09 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
Yea that's too much work and money involved in that project.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:35 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxelman View Post
I just finished upgrading the bronze bushings to sealed ball bearings but there's not much to see there.

I demonstrated it to a guy that builds carbon fiber bike parts and after he took it for a flight and catching his breath was thinking about a complete remake of the hull in carbon fiber. I'll keep you posted if anything comes of this.

I hope that parrot opens up the firmware to allow customization like the addition of GPS and autonomous flight plans.
Do you have the specs on the sealed ball bearings and where to get them?
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,018 Posts
For the best results you want sealed bearings. Either 2x5x2mm or 2x5x2.5mm.

I bought these 2x5x2.5mm on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

You have to slightly file down the gear for these to fit, but I love them!

These are also good:

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=2250

http://www.helidirect.com/esky-beari...3v4-p-8578.hdx

Follow these instructions to install, only maybe use a screwdriver and not a knife like the guy in the video!!

Instructions
Last edited by JHawk19; Dec 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:03 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
I just finished adding a GoProHD to the underneath side of the Drone. It actually is pretty easy. I just cut out a small section of foam, just behind the cover on the bottom. The camera fits in snugly and is held firmly in place by Velcro and with a couple of the wide rubber bands that come on bunches of asparagus. The camera is pointed at a slight downward angle, to make sure the body/legs aren't in the shot. Four Nerf balls provide a bit of extra ground clearance.

I haven't flown it yet, as it is raining here today in SoCal, but I will give it a "whirl" as soon as it lets up. I don't expect too many problems, as the weight is roughly the same as the indoor body, without the camera. The camera in this position is about as close as you can get to the CG, and not interfere with the field-of-view of the downward looking camera. Not having it on top, like some other setups I've seen, should make the make the motors happier as well, as they won't have to fight the pendulum effect.

Anyway, pics/video to follow...

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:42 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,026 Posts
Sweet looking set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I just finished adding a GoProHD to the underneath side of the Drone. It actually is pretty easy. I just cut out a small section of foam, just behind the cover on the bottom. The camera fits in snugly and is held firmly in place by Velcro and with a couple of the wide rubber bands that come on bunches of asparagus. The camera is pointed at a slight downward angle, to make sure the body/legs aren't in the shot. Four Nerf balls provide a bit of extra ground clearance.

I haven't flown it yet, as it is raining here today in SoCal, but I will give it a "whirl" as soon as it lets up. I don't expect too many problems, as the weight is roughly the same as the indoor body, without the camera. The camera in this position is about as close as you can get to the CG, and not interfere with the field-of-view of the downward looking camera. Not having it on top, like some other setups I've seen, should make the make the motors happier as well, as they won't have to fight the pendulum effect.

Anyway, pics/video to follow...

-- Gary
Old Apr 06, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2011
17 Posts
I would like to see more custom drones.
List of specs, ect... with the pics and/or vids. Love threads like these.
J. Dub is offline Find More Posts by J. Dub