SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:29 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum radio dx6i trim switch failure

I was at a fly-in this last August and one of my fellow flyin buds was getting ready to maiden his new plane while at the helm of his Spektrum DX6i. We got the plane running and as he was getting all the final checks done, including the final trims on the control surfaces when his rudder trim failed in one direction. I thought, oh crap that sucks man, you didn't even get a plane in the air and your trim switch went out. Most people forget how important these little electronic components are to a good day of flying, but when one fails your crap out of luck. Soon after he bought a new DX7 and i figured that it was a fluke failure... until today when my DX6i failed a trim switch!! DAMN I WAS PISSED!! I started thinking damn, I was just thinking about buying a new DX8 and all and now Spektrum aint gettin a lick out of my wallet! But after i got home and split the radio case i noticed that there was really an easy fix to a bad design (those stupid engineers, if only i was an engineer i wouldn't make that mistake... wait i am an mech engineer!, doh, must have been an electrical engineer designing mechanical components!) Anyways, i have a feeling that me and my fellow flying compandre are not alone out there, and these chinsy switches are in every DX6i out there, not to mention probably every Spektrum radio. Spektrum, if your reading this, FIX YOUR TRIM SWITCHES and add a gusset!
To everyone else, to fix the switch, unscrew the trim switch circut board from the inside of the front panel. Pull out the mechanical rocker switch and remove the rocker. Gusset the rocker on both sides of the rocker arms like shown in the pictures with either plastic, or like i did, CA soaked balsa. Reinstall the switch and your golden! they will now never fail (mechanically)! But if you or someone you know owns a Spektrum radio and you don't, i garantee that some day in the near future there will be a bad flying day
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 12:09 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,464 Posts
It happened to my throttle trim on my dx6i about two weeks ago. Horizon sent me a free actuator just like the one you put gussets on. So my Tx is fixed now but just a matter of time before another part fails. What a tragic failure of design and implementation. My Tx is two years old and gets only moderate use in season.

Good job on the gusset repair!
NOTAR 600 is online now Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Last edited by NOTAR 600; May 16, 2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,975 Posts
I think the newer models have aluminum switches (based on the photos I've seen) which should help... just like my after market replacements!!
Toppers is online now Find More Posts by Toppers
Old May 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,819 Posts
They just look like aluminum if you are looking at pics of the DX8. No aluminum parts there.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 16, 2011, 06:16 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
... What a tragic failure of design and implementation.
Maybe at the time it was designed this way to avoid breaking the push button inside or maybe just a failure like you say. ?? a good 2 years of heavy use on mine and never broke one. Knock On Wood.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:48 PM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Maybe at the time it was designed this way to avoid breaking the push button inside or maybe just a failure like you say. ?? a good 2 years of heavy use on mine and never broke one. Knock On Wood.
At $125 it is not a real expensive Tx, so that is one good thing I can say. I like it and just hope no more of these break. The throttle trim was the one I used the most...and that's the one that broke.

It doesn't seem this has become an epidemic yet.....which is good....so maybe I just need a lighter touch.
Last edited by NOTAR 600; May 16, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 05:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,819 Posts
Can I ask just one question with offending, why would the throttle trim be getting more use out of the others?

Don't you just trim once and then your done with it?
Old May 17, 2011, 08:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,392 Posts
Some folks use the throttle trim as an engine kill. It's pretty common, goes back to the days of 72MHz and only analog trims.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 17, 2011, 11:13 AM
helter skelter
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Can I ask just one question with offending, why would the throttle trim be getting more use out of the others?

Don't you just trim once and then your done with it?
With some airplanes on 3 cell lipos I can get more motor speed by increasing the trim until the motor starts running, then back it off a couple clicks till it stops...then while flying there is more throttle and speed to use.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,819 Posts
That just means your ESC throttle is not setup right. Notar.

Thanks Andy, I am not young but got in the hobby with 2.4. But isn't that why its got a throttle cut push button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Some folks use the throttle trim as an engine kill. Andy
Old May 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
283 Posts
Sounds like the throttle cut function just needs to be activated.
i went ahead a got the dx8 after all. At least the trim switches on it seem to be fine, in fact i really like this radio so far.
airtimeallen is offline Find More Posts by airtimeallen
Old May 18, 2011, 11:59 PM
HaoleboyRC
United States, CA, Auberry
Joined Apr 2009
172 Posts
Trim switches

I had the same problem with my DX6i and found a company that makes aluminum after market rocker switches and they also fit the JR radios as well so this design seems to be in all the radios. After replacing the rocker switches in my DX6i I sold it and switched to Futaba. Have had not problems since. I fly about 8 hours a week but hardly ever use the trim switches and mine did not break but just started working intermittently. I also gusseted the plastic ones I took out.

HaoleboyRC

Here is a link on RCGroups to EastRC who makes the aluminum upgrade parts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403976
HaoleboyRC is online now Find More Posts by HaoleboyRC