HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2003, 02:12 AM
Indianapolis/Castleton
Joined Jun 2002
47 Posts
Eclipse problem, end of stick movement yet no servo travel

Today I began helping a new modeler with his Eclipse radio and Spirit sailplane. Being a newish System 5X user I downloaded the Eclipse manual and used it for reference, but encountered a problem.

Note that we're using memory location 1 in acro mode and I reset this location to make sure all of its settings are at their defaults. Channel 1 is the rudder and channel 2 is the elevator. No end point, exponential, or dual rate functions were adjusted...the only thing I changed from the defaults is the servo reversing on channel 2. Afterward I disconnected the pushrods from the servo arms so that the servos could swing freely. Now for the problem.

When moving the stick to the left the servo arm moves correctly, every little movement makes the servo move. However, when moving the stick to the right the servo reaches its end point about 2/3 of the way through the available right stick throw...the remaining 1/3 stick movement produces no movement in the servo arm. Interestingly, both the left and right stick movements seem to produce equal and opposite movements in the servo arm.

This problem also occurs on channel 2. 2/3's into the up stick movement the servo arm reaches its endpoint, yet servo movement occurs throughout the available down stick throw.

I verified the end points, exponentials, and dual rates were all at their defaults. To further explore the problem I setup a buddy cord with the Eclipse as master and my System 5X as a slave. After setting up a System 5X model location for the sailplane (which only entailed reversing channel 2) my transmitter did not produce this problem, i.e. moving the System 5X stick right or up produced the correct servo movement throughout the throw.

Does my friend have a defective Eclipse?

Thank you very much for the help.
DaveP is offline Find More Posts by DaveP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:45 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
It sounds like the gimbals need to be recalibrated. You would need to sent the radio in to have the done under warranty.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Jul 22, 2003, 01:04 PM
Indianapolis/Castleton
Joined Jun 2002
47 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll have my friend contact Hitec and see where the Eclipse has to be sent.
DaveP is offline Find More Posts by DaveP