SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Question
Amsterdam Tug treating the timber work inside and outside the hull

Hi Guy's

I would like to ask everybody here for advice in regards to treating the timber work inside and outside the hull. You will notice in one of the pictures that i have started removing the inside planked timber liner and floatation foam to reveal the timber work inside of the hull. There you will see that some of the hull timber work has turned black i don't think this is good thing at all and could be a moisture fungus of some kind. Can anyone tell me the best way to treat this problem? Just would be great to see her back in the water again and not on the shelf collector dust

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:03 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,576 Posts
#1, do not breathe the dust. It probably contains mold spores which could be harmful to your health. So wear a suitable dust mask.

Black mold is the worst of the molds. Bleach is not the answer either. I went through this a few years ago with an eBay purchase of a supposedly NIB engine that turned out had been in a basement flood and the box was one big piece of black mold and even the engine casting got contaminated. It is still sealed in a plastic zip lock bag where it will stay.

http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/moldclean.htm
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 09, 2010, 11:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Wow....I didn’t think it could be as bad as that but i could tell it was not good that’s why i asked the question here thank god i did, thanks Kmot for the heads up.

Barry
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:39 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
621 Posts
Hi Barry,

If any dampness or moisture remains in the hull after removing all the floatation foam and rotting wood, if you can locate silica crystal, usually sold in a can, pour into the hull for a day or two, it will totally dry out the bilges.. Will also help to get rid of the mould, as it needs moisture to survive. The crystals will turn pink (from Blue) as they absorb the moisture. After pink, they can be cooked on a hot plate or toaster oven to drive out the moisture turning blue again and ready for re use.

Norm
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hi Norm,

The Amsterdam has not been in the water for about a year now, last summer. The timber itself looks pretty dry but i will give the silica crystal a go if i can find some.

Barry
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Nice tug> We hope to see it on the water soon! You might have to replace some wood there. A better way to dry out the hull might be to get a low watt bulb on a stand and set it in the hull, then treat it with a stop rot formula( not sure what you might have in Oz). Good luck.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:24 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,186 Posts
Go to your local Hardware store Paint department..

You may be able to find a mold killer there..

In homes ..pulverised dry ice can be blasted on it to kill it ..

Remove all the blackness..while its still very damp or wet ..never dry..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!