HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:46 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking 1/3-inch SONY CCD Video Camera

I am going to purchase my first FPV camera today and I am thinking about grabbing this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...434&aff=220400

After reading about it it appears to be the same thing as a more expensive one I was going to purchase: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...rd-Camera.html

Anyone have any thoughts, I am also open to other camera suggestions as I know that the camera is one of the most important factors of getting clear picture. I am going to be using it with the Dell Headplay Goggles.

Thanks everyone,

Chad / miami, fl
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:00 PM
Bay Area California
Joined Dec 2009
296 Posts
I dont know why you keep on making new threads about this question, clearly the securitycamera is better than the hobbyking camera because it has 540tvl instead of the 420tvl picture from the hobbyking one. So for a better picture get the security camera.
matyou is offline Find More Posts by matyou
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:18 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
This is my second thread about cameras, and a totally different camera at that. That is why I was asking, I have no idea what tvl is, apparently it's not as "clear" to me as it is to you. Both cameras looked the same to me. Thank you for your answer, I will be buying the securitycamera cam.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:19 PM
Bay Area California
Joined Dec 2009
296 Posts
Well sorry if I came out a little rude, TVL means tv lines.
matyou is offline Find More Posts by matyou
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:41 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
No worries. I am going to go ahead and order it. Only downside is that the site says that shipping takes about 10 days which kind of sucks.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:48 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
That HK camera is pretty good. I am going to use it for my main FPV cam. The lenses are interchangeable with KX191 type cameras. The IR filter is on the CCD Chip itself, so finding lenses is easy.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:50 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I may pick up one of those HK cams with my next big HK order to put on a RC car to chase cats around my neighborhood.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:31 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
I'd personally get one of these
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...y-0.01Lux.html
Cased and easier to mount, a little heavier though but if you are going to mount in a car no worries
http://www.vimeo.com/15534298
And Enjoy

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:50 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I am not going to mount it in a car, it is for a plane. I was only saying that I was going to buy the cheap HK one as a spare to put on a car.

edit: They promptly called me back and I went ahead and canceled my order, I am going to order the one that you just linked above. I like the case, I had no idea how I was going to mount the chipset. Weird that the one with a case was 50 cents cheaper then the chipset.

This may seem like a dumb question but as I said I am totally clueless. It doesn't come with a power adapter but this is the adapter: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...7%7D2.5mm.html

Should I order that or is it not needed since the camera is going to run off of a lipo?
Last edited by airbagit13; Dec 08, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I am not going to mount it in a car, it is for a plane. I was only saying that I was going to buy the cheap HK one as a spare to put on a car.

I still like the one you linked better, I have no idea how I would mount the one that I ordered. I tried to call the website but they are in Hong Kong and do not answer.

I also see down below the photos on the one that I ordered:
(Note: The package does not include power adapter and bracket.)

I have a feeling I should have just left that website when it said 10-15 days shipping and just bought from a company in the US or one that actually answers phone calls. A camera with no power adapter is just a paper weight.
You cant fly with a power adapter anyway my friend, unless you have a very long extension lead
Just use a lipo to power the cam, 3 cell will do fine, you just need to do a bit of soldering, which is easy on this job, even I can do that
Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:01 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Also ordering from hobbyking would take a similar amount of time. As they too are in Hong Kong
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:26 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Yup I order stuff from HK almost on a weekly basis (hope my wifes not reading this!)

I figured I didn't need the adapter but I didn't know whether I was going to have to have it but cut it up and replace a new head, i just dunno, lol. Its getting more and more clear to me now though.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:34 PM
30 RC's and counting
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Mar 2005
958 Posts
How do you power the transmitter?
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:50 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Here's basically how I connect mine up. (well when I used two batteries)

You basically have to solder something like this up.

Airbag nope you don' need that.

red= positive
black = negative
yellow = video
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:13 PM
Giant Scale 3D/IMAC & FPV
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2008
631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I am going to purchase my first FPV camera today and I am thinking about grabbing this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...434&aff=220400

After reading about it it appears to be the same thing as a more expensive one I was going to purchase: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...rd-Camera.html

Anyone have any thoughts, I am also open to other camera suggestions as I know that the camera is one of the most important factors of getting clear picture. I am going to be using it with the Dell Headplay Goggles.

Thanks everyone,

Chad / miami, fl

My buddy has the HK one, and I have the 540TVL OSD one. They're not the same cameras in any way.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp